Trailer bearing replacement

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Re: Trailer bearing replacement

Post by ducky » Thu Mar 10, 2022 5:21 pm

I had a play with the Schrader valve I hadn't previously taken note of and bled the air. Worked instantly. Something so stupid has stuffed me for so long haha. Ahh well. I know now. Cheers gents.

beefy

Post by beefy » Fri Mar 11, 2022 3:59 pm

skronkman wrote:
Tue Mar 08, 2022 5:04 pm
if I had them I’d use them but I don’t think they’re a panacea for not doing simple checks on the wheels and bearings a couple of times a season.
Absolutely agree, and for me personally BBs are not to make the hubs maintenance free. For me it's just about the positive pressure to stop water ingress. There's no facility in a basic hub/shaft design to replenish grease by pumping in new and displacing the old, so the grease at the bearing probably doesn't get mixed much at all with the surrounding grease.
When I first looked into the bearing buddies I came across some specially designed hubs/shafts which had a capped outlet at the inner side of the shaft I think. You could remove the inner cap and pump grease in at the outer cap end. The grease would thus "flow" through the hub, displacing the old grease. Even with something like that I'd still like to take a periodic "peek" at my bearings and seals, and check the bearing free play.

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Tue Mar 15, 2022 6:43 pm

After reading this thread I went down and had a look at my BBs.
Both sides are in with some very watery looking grease.
Both wheels are coated in grease on the inside as well.
Will be purchasing a new grease gun and giving it a good whirl soon. Might inspect the rear seals while I'm at it too.

daltonbourne

Post by daltonbourne » Mon Feb 13, 2023 11:21 am

If you replace the trailer bearing in the traditional route, you should notice that overgreasing the bearings might cause the ball pieces to fall off the wheel assembly. So, maintain your lubricant in the hub and wipe any excess from the surface.

Return to “Boating”