Stabicraft / Bar Crusher V's Haines Hunter

Sinsemilla

Re: Stabicraft / Bar Crusher V's Haines Hunter

Post by Sinsemilla » Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:30 pm

I own a 09 Haines hunter 680 patriot. A mate owns a maybe 5 year old? 25ft stabi and my uncle owns a spanker Extreme 750 game king. I've owned other small alloy boats.

If he asked about rebuilding a nice old Haines i wouldn't have commented because obviously people like yourself have a lot more experience with it. honestly i like the old Haines builds, the newer boats are rubbish in my opinion thats why when he asked about the haines i said i'd go the stabi.

He asked for opinions, so i gave mine. It's up to everyone's personal preference at the end of the day.

Cheers, Anth

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:07 pm

Bugatti wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 1:03 pm

Hi Robbie

The Old "Team Glass" v "Team Ali"

Probably not what you had intended as advice but it always seems to pop up.

You'd know , , , , pick a Boat that you like and one that you can put up with it's short-comings , , , ,
Haines Hunter 565R (or offshore) & the Stabicraft 1850 Supercab

Cheers, Bug

Sinsemilla wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 6:53 pm

Let's not forget who and why this thread was started.

Robbie asked for opinions.

This isn't a fibreglass vs. aluminium debate.

He just wanted opinions on boats he's looking at.

Robbie wanted an opinion

Back on topic lads , , , , let's help out a fellow with some advice on what he actually asked

Haines Hunter 565R (or offshore) , , OR , , the Stabicraft 1850 Supercab

Cheers Bugs

blacklab99
Has liked: 14 times

Post by blacklab99 » Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:01 pm

I don't get that excited anymore going in different boats, up to the 6mtr mark in fibreglass anymore, I don't really see any startling differences, in either performance or comfort, maybe that's just me. Been in most brands, from Cruisecraft to Haines and recently even a formula. All good boats, for there own reasons, owners are generally blind to there deficiencies, but all are good hulls all the same.
But I will comment on the Stabi 1850. I had the pleasure of fishing in one of Portland for 3-4 days, a couple of years back and I have to say here and now, if you've not been in one when the weather turns to absolute shite, then don't comment.
They are an absolute beast,,,and in my opinion, there rough water performance is up to and probably better that some 6mtr range fibre glass boats I've been in, but people forget, that's indeed what there built for.
We buy a boat, that suits our own personal needs, storage, tow vehicle, safety ( ie family or mates) and the type of fishing we intend to do, that's what Robbie has to sort out. If it's a question of which one, a 565 or a 1850 Stabi, my answer would be a Stabi, absolutely no competition there at all.
Robbie, depending on the coin you want to part with and whether or not you want a no problem boat or a rebuild, narrows your options a bit. Any fibreglass ship, more than 15-18 years old, is going to probably cost you money sooner or later, something within 10 years old, you can expect a half decent motor and probably composite build,,, If it's around the 6 mtr mark, you couldn't go wrong with any of the boats mentioned, including both ali or fibreglass, each have there good and bad points, it's a case of choosing what fits your needs......
It's always an interesting time buying a new boat, best option rather than listening to heresay, is to get out in them personally yourself, that's part of the journey as well....... Good luck with your search

Col

Ps... Sorry Robbie, I didn't answer all of your initial questions. The bar crusher, in my opinion, is the poor cousin, to both fibreglass and Stabi, there ok, I found them quite a wet boat and out of the 3, was the roughest ride. The stabi 1850, wasn't a banger in the short stuff at all, it was very surprising in that respect but it came into its own in a big way out wide and was far more stable at rest than the deeper V eed fibreglass boats. As mentioned, it's about the coin you want to spend and physically getting out and having a run in them yourself and feel the differences...

Kimtown
Has liked: 303 times

Post by Kimtown » Mon Apr 13, 2020 3:04 am

ducky wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 1:27 pm
Old school cool is the go. Depending on the cashola and time you’ve got a rebuilt old girl will last forever. Turn more heads and ultimately be more unique than a new plate boat.

For example. Jon Maslin’s 565 would put a horn on a jellyfish.
That is my dream boat right there

If I could have the choice of any trailer boat right now within logical reason, it’d be a 565

I’d prefer the L model however

Kimtown

Post by Kimtown » Mon Apr 13, 2020 3:10 am

Sinsemilla wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:30 pm
I own a 09 Haines hunter 680 patriot. A mate owns a maybe 5 year old? 25ft stabi and my uncle owns a spanker Extreme 750 game king. I've owned other small alloy boats.

If he asked about rebuilding a nice old Haines i wouldn't have commented because obviously people like yourself have a lot more experience with it. honestly i like the old Haines builds, the newer boats are rubbish in my opinion thats why when he asked about the haines i said i'd go the stabi.

He asked for opinions, so i gave mine. It's up to everyone's personal preference at the end of the day.

Cheers, Anth
The things I’d do for a 750 GK

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Post by Mattblack » Mon Apr 13, 2020 6:57 am

I’ve got a Stabi 1650 (basically the same as 1850), I’ll take you out for a spin if they ever let us out of our houses & you keep 1.5 meters away from me.

Robbie1950
Has liked: 213 times

Post by Robbie1950 » Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:11 am

Some very interesting reading over the last 5 pages :o_0:

A couple of things I have learnt over Easter..

-There is a man called Jon Maslin who owns a boat and everyone wants to have a flog when they see it at the ramp.
-Forum members are prepared to beat the **** out of each other defending there glass and alloy boats.

In all seriousness I appreciated the feedback from everyone but I am definitely not new to boating and know the pros and cons to both alloys and glass boats.
blacklab99 wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:01 pm
But I will comment on the Stabi 1850. I had the pleasure of fishing in one of Portland for 3-4 days, a couple of years back and I have to say here and now, if you've not been in one when the weather turns to absolute shite, then don't comment.
They are an absolute beast,,,and in my opinion, there rough water performance is up to and probably better that some 6mtr range fibre glass boats I've been in, but people forget, that's indeed what there built for.
Blacklab, this is hhuuggeeeee call to make throwing a spanner in the works for me, before this comment I had my mind set at a glass boat. I'm like a lot of forum members here, I love my glass boats old and new. Theres nothing like seeing an old Haines V19 or V17 done up. I actually went to McQuarrie's not long ago and had a chat to Kane and his dad about what it would cost to re-do an old V19R, my estimate to buy a boat and have the work done on it came back at probably around 80k give or take I you wanted it to be shmick. Theres a lot of boats around for $80k and I myself dont want to personally spend that much.

I'm going to have to take a Stabi for a test ride before I make any decisions, I just might have to take Mattblack up on his offer. :ch:

https://www.facebook.com/trailerboataus ... 759888170/

Is this Jon Maslin's masturbation vessel everyone is talking about? :nw:

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:15 am

It should be said that not many haines fans are fans of haines in the past 15 years. What they are producing now is **** quality compared to the other glass boats on the market.

Id prefer a brand new stabi to a brand new haines. But id prefer to rebuild an old girl haines over them all.

Kimtown

Post by Kimtown » Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:44 am

Mattblack wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 6:57 am
I’ve got a Stabi 1650 (basically the same as 1850), I’ll take you out for a spin if they ever let us out of our houses & you keep 1.5 meters away from me.
What’s the furthest you’ve taken it offshore? Would you do a canyon trip in it chasing swords, fuel/weather dependent of course?

Kimtown

Post by Kimtown » Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:46 am

Robbie1950 wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:11 am
Some very interesting reading over the last 5 pages :o_0:

A couple of things I have learnt over Easter..

-There is a man called Jon Maslin who owns a boat and everyone wants to have a flog when they see it at the ramp.
-Forum members are prepared to beat the **** out of each other defending there glass and alloy boats.

In all seriousness I appreciated the feedback from everyone but I am definitely not new to boating and know the pros and cons to both alloys and glass boats.
blacklab99 wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:01 pm
Blacklab, this is hhuuggeeeee call to make throwing a spanner in the works for me, before this comment I had my mind set at a glass boat. I'm like a lot of forum members here, I love my glass boats old and new. Theres nothing like seeing an old Haines V19 or V17 done up. I actually went to McQuarrie's not long ago and had a chat to Kane and his dad about what it would cost to re-do an old V19R, my estimate to buy a boat and have the work done on it came back at probably around 80k give or take I you wanted it to be shmick. Theres a lot of boats around for $80k and I myself dont want to personally spend that much.

I'm going to have to take a Stabi for a test ride before I make any decisions, I just might have to take Mattblack up on his offer. :ch:

https://www.facebook.com/trailerboataus ... 759888170/

Is this Jon Maslin's masturbation vessel everyone is talking about? :nw:
Jon Maslin is pretty well known for his 565. It’s featured in a couple magazines and is incredibly popular at the OSHH days and on social media

It really is an incredible looking boat

Return to “Boating”