Re: Dexter brake unit

Post by Davoo » Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:51 pm

download/file.php?mode=view&id=36551

This is where I’m at a standstill

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:08 pm

The round aluminium piece is the pump housing you should find there is screws holding it on I can not remember which side they are on. On mine one of the pistons popped out of the holder. You can buy gaskets but from America mine has started to leak after being pulled apart several times. Not a big issue at the moment I intend to fix that when I finish work.

Nude up

Post by Nude up » Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:31 pm

The gaskets part number is K71-688 they are not cheap I have some on order around $75 delivered

Davoo

Post by Davoo » Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:13 pm

Ok great thanks, I’ll have to give it another closer looking at in the next day or two. I was very surprised to see how little there was in that whole housing!

My gaskets are unrepairable and definitely need replacing. Silly we can’t get parts here in Australia. Did you order yours through e- trailer?

Nude up

Post by Nude up » Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:59 pm

Inner west domestics. Yes not a lot in side the unit the pump itself is really small I would not purchase one again there is an Aussie alternative which when mine gives up the ghost would be my choice. Although my last trailer had the alco unit air over hyd which I reckon is better there is no lag for the pressure to build up. I find I brake late into corners and even when I have taken my foot of the brake the trailer is still braking due to the lag but when you brake hard it stops quick.

re-tyred
Has liked: 375 times

Post by re-tyred » Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:51 am

After 25 years doing marine electronics repairs on commercial vessels. I had a huge tips and tricks file. First line on it said. " If it seems impossible it is probably something simple" In other words always check the basics first. The most basic being is it getting the correct power under load.
Excellent fault diagnosis, nude up
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

Texas
Has liked: 221 times

Post by Texas » Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:13 pm

re-tyred wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:51 am
After 25 years doing marine electronics repairs on commercial vessels. I had a huge tips and tricks file. First line on it said. " If it seems impossible it is probably something simple" In other words always check the basics first. The most basic being is it getting the correct power under load.
Excellent fault diagnosis, nude up
True words, re-tyred
Spent a lot of money trying to fix an electrical fault in an XD falcon.
Eventually replaced the distributor cap, very simple and inexpensive
If I'd done that first, I'd have saved heaps. Looked fine, but, wasn't
Gra

Davoo

Post by Davoo » Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:50 pm

Just want to say a massive thanks! Finally got the unit apart. The piston pump was a little sized but pulled it all apart and gave it a a good clean with a very fine sand paper (1200). Made some some new gaskets( couldn’t wait for them to come from the US in the end) All back together now and working great. Saved myself a heap of $$. Appreciate all the helpful posts!!

Return to “Boating”