Looking for a New Boat after opinions

Boonanza
Has liked: 270 times

Looking for a New Boat after opinions

Post by Boonanza » Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:22 pm

After going away with the family this christmas and my two boys are bigger than me now we have outgrown the Tinny and it's time for a bigger boat which the Mrs has agreed to. :-D I'm not 100% sure what to go for but I want something at least 15ft-17ft long that will comfortably carry 4-5 adults plus any gear. As much as I like cuddy cabins there isn't really much room for fishing and I prefer boats where you can fish from the front and back so I was thinking maybe a Bow rider. But I am open to suggestions and I'm not in any hurry to buy as I plan on still keeping the Tinny. Budget would probably be upto about $20k depending on the boat.
Something like this is what I was think of.https://www.boatsales.com.au/boats/deta ... -17699600/
Last edited by Boonanza on Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A smart person knows what to say. A wise person knows whether to say it.

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Re: Looking for a New Boat after opinions

Post by bowl » Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:44 pm

Screenshot_20200118-184217.png
Screenshot_20200118-184210.png
Screenshot_20200118-184144.png
Screenshot_20200118-184156.png
To many boats kayak, helicopter , catch a fish,catch a fish

Boonanza

Post by Boonanza » Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:00 pm

Probably looking for something more fishing/Leisure where the Mrs can come as well in comfort.

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:00 pm

https://www.boatsales.com.au/boats/deta ... D-16896101

Rip the rear lounge out, mount an electric up front. Bob's your mother's brother

ben475
Has liked: 161 times

Post by ben475 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:44 am

so many options boony, I have a 475 quinny bow rider almost identical to the 500 you posted up.
they are a pretty darn good all rounder, I often take my mrs and young fella along.
just added a bow mount motorguide to mine

most I have had fishing is 4, gets a bit crowded fishing wise but is do-able.

it sounds like something just over 5m would be the go for you, totally agree you'll want an open boat with fishing more than 3 up.

you will find something around the 20k no probs, the longer you wait the better chance of finding a better boat. especially over the winter. there are heaps for sale in nsw and qld but I'd wait for something in vic to come up.

Boonanza

Post by Boonanza » Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:39 pm

cobby wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:00 pm

Rip the rear lounge out, mount an electric up front. Bob's your mother's brother
Unfortunately out of the budget mate

Boonanza

Post by Boonanza » Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:41 pm

ben475 wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:44 am
so many options boony, I have a 475 quinny bow rider almost identical to the 500 you posted up.
they are a pretty darn good all rounder, I often take my mrs and young fella along.
just added a bow mount motorguide to mine

most I have had fishing is 4, gets a bit crowded fishing wise but is do-able.

it sounds like something just over 5m would be the go for you, totally agree you'll want an open boat with fishing more than 3 up.

you will find something around the 20k no probs, the longer you wait the better chance of finding a better boat. especially over the winter. there are heaps for sale in nsw and qld but I'd wait for something in vic to come up.
Thanks for the feedback Ben yes I have noticed they are quite a bit cheaper interstate but I'm in no hurry to purchase one.

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:17 pm

Boonanza wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:39 pm
cobby wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:00 pm

Unfortunately out of the budget mate
They do occasionally pop up at $17-22k. There's also the slightly older 520BR that can be a couple of grand cheaper for pretty much the identical hull. They also did a 460BR with most that come on the market will easily fit into the budget. Downside is 4-5 adults all fishing is next to impossible, doable if only 2-3 are fishing though. Whereas the 520/530 can fish 3-4 quite easily (all with that rear lounge ripped out).

If glass isn't an issue and a decent one pops up within budget the Signatures will crap all over the Quinnies in ride and keeping the missus happy in that department. Those is northern NSW and QLD will be the cheapest buys. And are arguably the most fisher friendly layout of all small bowriders.

yepi'mon
Has liked: 36 times

Post by yepi'mon » Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:26 pm

Hi Mate

We owned a Brooker 525 Discovery for a few years and now have a Caribbean Adventurer 585.

The brooker was aluminium and a centre console whilst the Caribbean a fibreglass cabin boat. Both were setup for fishing with all the gear, racks, sounders, anchor winches etc.

We could comfortably fish 3+ people out of the brooker where as the caribbean, even though it's bigger... I wouldn't really wan't to fish more than 3.

The centre console was excellent for certain types of fishing but not as pleasurable on others. Anything casting/lure related and I would take the Brooker any day of the week. Even with only two on the boat you can move around any which way and have freedom of space. For fishing such as snapper, gummy or whiting I would take the Caribbean easily. Everything about it other than not being able to follow a fish round the front of the boat makes it better.

If you are looking for freedom of movement and maximised fishing space then go a centre console. Fishing on a bow rider won't be ideal as movement is restricted through the gap in the window. If you have a bimini this can be a real pain. In a CC you can go any way you want without restriction.

If you are looking to be comfortable in any condition, travel further distances and have somewhere to sit then go a cuddy cab. I would look at getting something that has maximised fishing deck like an Allison fisherman... No one really uses the cabin.

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Post by bowl » Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:23 pm

Bit of river hooning In this
Screenshot_20200120-202108.png
To many boats kayak, helicopter , catch a fish,catch a fish

Return to “Boating”