Stabicraft / Bar Crusher V's Haines Hunter

SteveoTheTiger
Has liked: 182 times

Re: Stabicraft / Bar Crusher V's Haines Hunter

Post by SteveoTheTiger » Mon Apr 13, 2020 4:27 pm

Used to have a Whittley 1980... as in the year 1980 :ch:

Whittley Voyager. Hard top with a stern drive.

The only thing better than serenity is a two stroke at full throttle!
Check out my Flickr Photostream

blacklab99
Has liked: 14 times

Post by blacklab99 » Mon Apr 13, 2020 4:42 pm

See, to me that's an awesome looking old school boat Steve,, probably un practical for what I do now, but still the same, an awesome looking old school ship there !!.
Thanks for showing....

Col

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Mon Apr 13, 2020 4:53 pm

bowl wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 4:21 pm
Anybody own whittley 1950 ? .
They seem well priced .
Whittley are well priced.

The SL20 is starting from 60k.

You would need to add 10-12k to get a good fitout and decent Hp but still massively cheaper than a haines hunter 6m which is 100k plus.

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Mon Apr 13, 2020 5:59 pm

bowl wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 4:21 pm
Anybody own whittley 1950 ? .
They seem well priced .
Just ask anyone with a Savage Mako/Defender/Surveyor. It's the same boat with some minor mostly interior changes

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:16 pm

I very rarely comment on boat choices knowing how people get attached to their boat. I have a Haines 650 offshore classic 21 degree dead rise and for my fishing works for me 75% fishing in the bay 25% offshore sometimes a bit more. The 650 has a really large freeboard which is what attracted me to it, it’s goes well in the rough stuff we recently were off bermie in 20 knot winds and didn’t feel concerned.

One year we were in a 6700 commander in high winds off bermie and it was the only time I have put my life jacket on out of fear for my safety a shocking boat in big following sea the thing kept broaching.

One of my mates has an awesome v19l fully rebuilt looks new off bermie it was awesome cut the waves great ride but at rest and with next to no freeboard a worry when trying to trace a 100 kg fish.

My other mate has a Haines 680 patriot really nice boat I remember when he bought it the conversations at work with the fisho,s chipping in with there advice it has a large cabin and not much fishing space as other 6.8 mt boats. My advice was what do you want to fish for and how many do you want to take with you. He is mad on game fishing and it’s great for him.
I remember the first time we went to Portland in it the ride is very different to my 650 his has a self draining deck so is much taller than my boat it did tend to lean a lot which at first was a bit unnerving we would come off a wave leaning and I was thinking this is not going to end well but like most Haines it hit the water and came out dead straight I like it a lot now.

Another guy I fish with has an 1850 stabi it’s a nice boat good freeboard 17 degree dead rise very stable at rest but when it blew up in westernport last year he was left well behind heading home. But my mate loves it because it suits what he does he drives a hilux and didn’t want to upgrade his car with him and his 2 sons in plenty of room.

Choice of boat is a very personal thing you have to weigh up what type of fishing you are into how many you fish with where you are going to fish. I fish a lot by myself due to my shift work sometimes my son makes an appearance the 650 doesn’t have a massive fishing space but for me it does everything I want from flathead to marlin.

Gultch78
Has liked: 312 times

Post by Gultch78 » Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:21 pm

Nude up wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:16 pm
I very rarely comment on boat choices knowing how people get attached to their boat. I have a Haines 650 offshore classic 21 degree dead rise and for my fishing works for me 75% fishing in the bay 25% offshore sometimes a bit more. The 650 has a really large freeboard which is what attracted me to it, it’s goes well in the rough stuff we recently were off bermie in 20 knot winds and didn’t feel concerned.

One year we were in a 6700 commander in high winds off bermie and it was the only time I have put my life jacket on out of fear for my safety a shocking boat in big following sea the thing kept broaching.

One of my mates has an awesome v19l fully rebuilt looks new off bermie it was awesome cut the waves great ride but at rest and with next to no freeboard a worry when trying to trace a 100 kg fish.

My other mate has a Haines 680 patriot really nice boat I remember when he bought it the conversations at work with the fisho,s chipping in with there advice it has a large cabin and not much fishing space as other 6.8 mt boats. My advice was what do you want to fish for and how many do you want to take with you. He is mad on game fishing and it’s great for him.
I remember the first time we went to Portland in it the ride is very different to my 650 his has a self draining deck so is much taller than my boat it did tend to lean a lot which at first was a bit unnerving we would come off a wave leaning and I was thinking this is not going to end well but like most Haines it hit the water and came out dead straight I like it a lot now.

Another guy I fish with has an 1850 stabi it’s a nice boat good freeboard 17 degree dead rise very stable at rest but when it blew up in westernport last year he was left well behind heading home. But my mate loves it because it suits what he does he drives a hilux and didn’t want to upgrade his car with him and his 2 sons in plenty of room.

Choice of boat is a very personal thing you have to weigh up what type of fishing you are into how many you fish with where you are going to fish. I fish a lot by myself due to my shift work sometimes my son makes an appearance the 650 doesn’t have a massive fishing space but for me it does everything I want from flathead to marlin.
Hey nude up how much freeboard does your 650 have interested to compare with my rebuilt 19 cheers
I was a premium member before it was cool #aheadofthepack

Nude up

Post by Nude up » Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:32 pm

Gultch78 wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:21 pm
Nude up wrote:

Hey nude up how much freeboard does your 650 have interested to compare with my rebuilt 19 cheers
I will jump in it tomorrow and measure and let you know but I struggle to touch the water with my hands.

Nude up

Post by Nude up » Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:36 pm

Nude up wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:32 pm
Gultch78 wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:21 pm
Nude up wrote:

I will jump in it tomorrow and measure and let you know but I struggle to touch the water with my hands.
I just looked it up 90 cm which is high up my thigh.

Gultch78
Has liked: 312 times

Post by Gultch78 » Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:57 pm

Is that at back corner or lowest point of gunnel
I was a premium member before it was cool #aheadofthepack

blacklab99
Has liked: 14 times

Post by blacklab99 » Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:30 pm

Nude up wrote:

Agree with everything you said there nude,,,, apart from the comparrison between a 1850 Stabi and your 650 or a 680,, two totally different class boats there, with a huge size difference,,, maybe the Stabi 2400 would be a better comparrison, and I suspect would not have been lagging behind on such a day...
Robbie needs a boat well under the 6mtr range....

Col

Return to “Boating”