What ever happened to the V17?

WiseMax
Rank: Baitfish
Rank: Baitfish
Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:16 am
Has liked: 2 times

What ever happened to the V17?

Post by WiseMax » Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:30 am

Hi all,

The V17 was a legendary hull. Now we only see them second hand. I’m curious, does anyone still make the v17?

I know that the gunshot is based on a v17, but what other boats are based on or descended from the v17 hull? What about the signature 543f and the Haines hunter 530?

I’d love to get a v17 the more I research them, I’ve also ridden in one some years ago, a v17l, very soft ride

cobby
Rank: Murray Cod
Rank: Murray Cod
Joined: Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:39 pm
Has liked: 125 times
Likes received: 276 times

Re: What ever happened to the V17?

Post by cobby » Sun Oct 24, 2021 10:03 am

Sea Devil 520 is a modified 17. Seydel craft 520 is a v17. Edencraft did have the 17 moulds before selling them to Seydel decades ago and pumped a couple out but you'd struggle to find one. When Haines hit the **** before OMC purchase a new modified 17 mould was made which became the 520SF and later the 530 Classic which is now called the 535 Sportsfish. They're a little drier than the original but not quite as soft

WiseMax
Rank: Baitfish
Rank: Baitfish
Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:16 am
Has liked: 2 times

Re: What ever happened to the V17?

Post by WiseMax » Sun Oct 24, 2021 11:39 am

Good to know! Is seydelcraft now out of business ? Can’t find them online

cobby
Rank: Murray Cod
Rank: Murray Cod
Joined: Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:39 pm
Has liked: 125 times
Likes received: 276 times

Re: What ever happened to the V17?

Post by cobby » Sun Oct 24, 2021 6:52 pm

Probably. Try to find a contact number for Darren Higgins as he was the bloke who was building them. Sea Devils are still being made and Northern Beaches Marine is your contact for them.

frozenpod
Rank: Premium Member
Rank: Premium Member
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:04 pm
Has liked: 72 times
Likes received: 95 times

Re: What ever happened to the V17?

Post by frozenpod » Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:32 pm

There are plenty of hulls based on the V17 from haines hunter and haines signature.

HH, 520SLR, 520SLC, 520SF, 530 Breeze, HS 1750, 530F etc.

Very similar hulls to the V17 with the main difference being planning plank improved transom setups and and better deck layouts.

From the above list the 530 Breeze would be the most different from the V17.

WiseMax
Rank: Baitfish
Rank: Baitfish
Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:16 am
Has liked: 2 times

Re: What ever happened to the V17?

Post by WiseMax » Mon Oct 25, 2021 1:28 pm

That's interesting.

Looking at the 525f from Haines Signature (which seems closest to the v17 in dimensions?) compared to the 545 or 545 from signature, would there be a leap in performance in the bigger model, or would sticking to the 525f give me enough offshore performance?

Looking at saving some money if i can, and still getting the same performance at a price point!

thanks guys

frozenpod
Rank: Premium Member
Rank: Premium Member
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:04 pm
Has liked: 72 times
Likes received: 95 times

Re: What ever happened to the V17?

Post by frozenpod » Mon Oct 25, 2021 1:48 pm

New boats have starting using overall length instead of hull length which is confusing.

A 525F is not as big as a V17 or 520/530 from the late 80's and 90's.

Typically this has added anywhere from 30cm to 80cm to the size of the boat depending on the brand.

The 575F which is a true 5.75m boat is now called the 620F.


For offshore use you need a bigger boat a 525F is not remotely suitable and a 545F would only on the very best of days and it wont be great.

You really need to go bigger. The currently called 620F would be the minimum I would consider for offshore use and you could get away with the 580F for the odd occasion.

User avatar
Kimtown
Rank: Premium Member
Rank: Premium Member
Joined: Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:29 pm
Has liked: 282 times
Likes received: 271 times

Re: What ever happened to the V17?

Post by Kimtown » Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:08 pm

cobby wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 6:52 pm
Probably. Try to find a contact number for Darren Higgins as he was the bloke who was building them. Sea Devils are still being made and Northern Beaches Marine is your contact for them.
Any idea how they compare to the gunshot?

both price wise and performance?

WiseMax
Rank: Baitfish
Rank: Baitfish
Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:16 am
Has liked: 2 times

Re: What ever happened to the V17?

Post by WiseMax » Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:47 pm

Fair enough, but this is confusing. All I see about the V17L for example says that it was a 5.2M boat. The 525F is apparently 5.35 metres...

Are they measuring different things??????????
frozenpod wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 1:48 pm
New boats have starting using overall length instead of hull length which is confusing.

A 525F is not as big as a V17 or 520/530 from the late 80's and 90's.

Typically this has added anywhere from 30cm to 80cm to the size of the boat depending on the brand.

frozenpod
Rank: Premium Member
Rank: Premium Member
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:04 pm
Has liked: 72 times
Likes received: 95 times

Re: What ever happened to the V17?

Post by frozenpod » Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:58 pm

WiseMax wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:47 pm
Fair enough, but this is confusing. All I see about the V17L for example says that it was a 5.2M boat. The 525F is apparently 5.35 metres...

Are they measuring different things??????????
frozenpod wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 1:48 pm
New boats have starting using overall length instead of hull length which is confusing.

A 525F is not as big as a V17 or 520/530 from the late 80's and 90's.

Typically this has added anywhere from 30cm to 80cm to the size of the boat depending on the brand.
Yes they are measuring different things. Hull length vs overall length.

Originally boats were all measured on hull length which is bow to stern.

They are now mostly due to marketing and making the boat seem bigger than it actually is using overall length.

The overall length includes things like bow the sprit which sticks out typically 30-50cm passed the front of the hull.

Adding a bigger bow sprit can easy add marketing value making a boat seem bigger than it really is.

Hence in my previous post most boats have an overall length of 30-80cm longer than the hull length.

Post Reply

Return to “Boating”