Batteries - Best value for money

georged2

Batteries - Best value for money

Post by georged2 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:45 am

Hi Guys,

I think I need a new Battery, I'm starting to get a alarms when I start my Honda 90 but in saying that, it's starts no problems, the voltage seems to fall below 11.5v

My current battery is SeaMaster CCA550 ???? that's all I know about it, pretty sure it's more than 5 years old.

Here's what I have...
All lights are LED
550w Savwinch electric anchor - only used while engine running
Deckwash
27mhz and VHF radio
AM/FM CD Radio

I usually use the above items on most fishing trips but as stated above, starting to get alarms when starting and voltage drops below 11.5v. While engine running it charges no probs at 14ish volts

I'm considering buying Ac Delco Deep Cycle 97amp hour battery. Any thoughts. I've read in a few places that these batteries are pretty good and last a long time and well over 5 years and also are great value for money, below $200.00

Should I change batteries
Early to bed, Early to rise, Fish all day, Tell big lies

Fish-Hunter

Re: Batteries - Best value for money

Post by Fish-Hunter » Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:20 am

its most likely time to replace your battery , buy the best quality that fits your budget $$ .

georged2

Post by georged2 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:20 am

I had a look at Optima, priced very high but for half the price to get more spark for buck with the Ac Delco.

I've also been told that getting the best is not always worth it but in saying that, you do get what you pay for.

Dr Drift

Post by Dr Drift » Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:52 pm

Please tell me you have a twin battery setup?

If not than get one! There are a few ways off doing this but end result will be the best thing you do! Never get stuck with a flat battery ever if setup correctly IMO...
Id prefer a good setup with cheap twin batteries than one top shelf battery anyday!

Dr Drift...
Dr Drift...
<((((((><

FishHardButFishSafe...

georged2

Post by georged2 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:21 am

I had a heap of advise about twin battery setup, mine is NOT a twin setup.

I've never had a problem but recently as I said I'm starting to get alarms when starting but it starts OK. The Battery was more than 5 years so I did replace it with AcDelco Deep Cycle 97amph, that should be more than OK.

Experts suggest the twin and other Experts suggest I'll be OK with my single setup. So taking the average comments I've decided to stick with the single setup and have handy a Jump Pack just in case.
I've also got the alarm triggers set to 11.5v so should save me if I'm loosing volts. You only need 10.5v to start your motor. I've also been told that I can start my Honda 90 (5 year old) by pull start. That's probably another reason that has swung me to stick with what I've got.

BUT, it's always better to be safe with 2 batteries and 2 engines, it never stops.

Dr Drift

Post by Dr Drift » Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:08 am

georged2 wrote:I had a heap of advise about twin battery setup, mine is NOT a twin setup.

I've never had a problem but recently as I said I'm starting to get alarms when starting but it starts OK. The Battery was more than 5 years so I did replace it with AcDelco Deep Cycle 97amph, that should be more than OK.

Experts suggest the twin and other Experts suggest I'll be OK with my single setup. So taking the average comments I've decided to stick with the single setup and have handy a Jump Pack just in case.
I've also got the alarm triggers set to 11.5v so should save me if I'm loosing volts. You only need 10.5v to start your motor. I've also been told that I can start my Honda 90 (5 year old) by pull start. That's probably another reason that has swung me to stick with what I've got.

BUT, it's always better to be safe with 2 batteries and 2 engines, it never stops.
The ultimate setup for your boat size would be twin setup... one dedicated for start only and the other as a house battery(all elecs)... that way you can run all elecs to your hearts content and never ever run outta battery! One engine two batteries! Two engines three batteries! Or in my case 4 batteries...lol

Dr Drift...
Dr Drift...
<((((((><

FishHardButFishSafe...

Brett
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Brett » Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:12 am

I was going to mention, keep your old battery and use it for the elec stuff, but if you have the jump pack you should be good :)

georged2

Post by georged2 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:27 am

Dr Drift, you are 100% right. It's not about money but more the effort needed to do something that you might not need. Yes I know it's MUCH better to have. I know that when I do get stuck 1 day, I'll say, "Dr Drift, I should have listened". I think I need the lesson first. "Stupid" I know. I think it's a good calculated risk.

Brett, I think the jump pack will save me if I do drain my battery, althought, unlikely I hope.

Salted

Post by Salted » Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:37 pm

Here here to the above.
I also have twin batteries, both i think the Marine series from Supercharge. http://www.supercharge.com.au/products_marine_gold.php
Just one thing to keep in mind, which i learnt, make sure you have a good battery charger for use with Calcium batteries. They need a good "kick in the ass" charge when they have been left for a couple of months, i.e winter..

Just for reference i had a Bond deep cycle expensive mo-fo of a battery for a little while but because it was not a marine battery it shook the crappers out of the plates on a couple of rough outings and died :wall: I always thought the "marine" hogwash was a sales pitch from the battery dudes, but hey i havent hand grenaded either of my current two in over 2 years of use.

Return to “Marine Electronics”