Lowrance or furuno

fishnut
Has liked: 28 times

Lowrance or furuno

Post by fishnut » Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:26 am

Hi all was considering an upgrade
I have a gen 1 lowrance at the moment and was looking at the hds live combo which is selling for 1399 including tranny or would a furuno be better
I fish ppp/wp mainly and gippsland lakes

Kestrel
Has liked: 6 times

Re: Lowrance or furuno

Post by Kestrel » Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:38 pm

Hi Fishnut
I’ve always had Lowrance sounders ( my first was one that used paper!) and currently have a Live 9” which I really can’t fault.
So I can’t comment on Furuno but they have always had a good reputation.
I think with technology being what it us all brands produce units that are of very high quality and provide so much detailed info. If anything they contain so many features and settings it takes awhile to learn it all!
If you go for a Lowrance Live unit you won’t be disappointed!
Cheers
Kestrel

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:49 pm

Kestrel wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:38 pm
Hi Fishnut
I’ve always had Lowrance sounders ( my first was one that used paper!) and currently have a Live 9” which I really can’t fault.
So I can’t comment on Furuno but they have always had a good reputation.
I think with technology being what it us all brands produce units that are of very high quality and provide so much detailed info. If anything they contain so many features and settings it takes awhile to learn it all!
If you go for a Lowrance Live unit you won’t be disappointed!
Cheers
Kestrel
I used to own a lowtance unit loved it. Now own furuno can’t fault it either.

Whatever you get my recommendation is learn about your transducer and what it’s giving you on the screen.
This is a warning regarding the following post made by you: viewtopic.php?f=14&p=349277#p349277 .
Any form of bullying on this forum will NOT BE TOLERATED!

This is your last warning!

SteveoTheTiger
Has liked: 182 times

Post by SteveoTheTiger » Sun Oct 27, 2019 4:17 pm

I have the Elite 7 Ti2 and think it is a great unit for the general PPB fishing that i do. I installed it myself and it works exactly as expected. However i dont currently use any of the advanced features like NMEA2000. To me it is a perfect balance between entry level ease of use and high end advanced features and options.

Cant comment too much in Furuno other than i think of them as a high end unit with a good reputation.
The only thing better than serenity is a two stroke at full throttle!
Check out my Flickr Photostream

Redhunter
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Redhunter » Sun Oct 27, 2019 4:37 pm

I'm a Lowrance fella. I reckon they are very user friendly and suit the average fisho. If you are often fishing deeper areas chasing Pelagics, and money isn't an issue, Furuno all the way. Just my opinion...

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Sun Oct 27, 2019 4:46 pm

The live is a great unit. And simple to use for us average Joe's. Once you work out what's happening on the screen then it's fairly easy to use.
I know nothing about the furuno. But I'm sure the charter boys use it for a reason.

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Sun Oct 27, 2019 5:23 pm

purple5ive wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 4:46 pm
The live is a great unit. And simple to use for us average Joe's. Once you work out what's happening on the screen then it's fairly easy to use.
I know nothing about the furuno. But I'm sure the rb85 uses it for a reason.
Fixed it for you mate.
:-D
This is a warning regarding the following post made by you: viewtopic.php?f=14&p=349277#p349277 .
Any form of bullying on this forum will NOT BE TOLERATED!

This is your last warning!

Kimtown
Has liked: 303 times

Post by Kimtown » Sun Oct 27, 2019 5:44 pm

Redhunter wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 4:37 pm
I'm a Lowrance fella. I reckon they are very user friendly and suit the average fisho. If you are often fishing deeper areas chasing Pelagics, and money isn't an issue, Furuno all the way. Just my opinion...
This precisely

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Sun Oct 27, 2019 6:15 pm

rb85 wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 5:23 pm
purple5ive wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 4:46 pm
I know nothing about the furuno. But I'm sure the rb85 uses it for a reason.
Fixed it for you mate.
:-D
:ch: :ch: :ch:

re-tyred
Has liked: 372 times

Post by re-tyred » Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:31 am

As I have said in other posts, I am an ex Furuno tech. So what do you think I have on my Tinny. A lowrance elite 5 sounder and an elite 4 GPS. Separate units to give me a bit better screen size. Sounder is the 200/85/400/800 kHz unit. Why? $$ in small boats Lowrance is better bang for the buck. Shallow water in the lake the ultra high frequency give better fish discrimination , mainly due to narrow beam angles.
Why do charter boats use Furuno? Easy, large screens multi frequencies. Lots of options on transducers. Ultra narrow 4-5degree beams combined with high power and short pulse lenght for fish near the bottom. The ability to fiddle with power and pulse lengths. Even the ability to set up different frequencies when using broad band transducers. 4 way screen splits e.g. high frequency with bottom lock display combined with low frequency with ground discrimination display.
All this in a robust display that has knobs for the basic, power,range, shift controls.
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

Return to “Marine Electronics”