Re: Lowrance or furuno

Post by fishnut » Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:59 am

Thx for all the advice people i now have a decision to make

Bugatti

Re: Lowrance or furuno

Post by Bugatti » Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:11 am

re-tyred wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:31 am
As I have said in other posts, I am an ex Furuno tech. So what do you think I have on my Tinny. A lowrance elite 5 sounder and an elite 4 GPS. Separate units to give me a bit better screen size. Sounder is the 200/85/400/800 kHz unit. Why? $$ in small boats Lowrance is better bang for the buck. Shallow water in the lake the ultra high frequency give better fish discrimination , mainly due to narrow beam angles.
Why do charter boats use Furuno? Easy, large screens multi frequencies. Lots of options on transducers. Ultra narrow 4-5degree beams combined with high power and short pulse lenght for fish near the bottom. The ability to fiddle with power and pulse lengths. Even the ability to set up different frequencies when using broad band transducers. 4 way screen splits e.g. high frequency with bottom lock display combined with low frequency with ground discrimination display.
All this in a robust display that has knobs for the basic, power,range, shift controls.

I was told (by industry guys), and I can see it with the products both Lowrance v Furuno have, that:

Lowrance are more designed (and more research and development) for the Recreational Fisho, with some products for Commercials

Where as

Furuno are more Commercial who delve into the Recreational market. Furuno has more scope to expand your system which favours Commercials but is a stretch for the Rec market to utilise.

So tend to agree with re-tyred AND a closer look at the specs of both, confirm that.

But it also depends on what you want your unit to do.

Cheers, Bugs

Return to “Marine Electronics”