Safety - EPIRB/PLB, flares, essential?

laneends
Has liked: 3 times

Re: Safety - EPIRB/PLB, flares, essential?

Post by laneends » Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:44 pm

Just a reminder with PLBs then when they say must be above water, antenna upright and the gps sender at the front open to the air they mean it. In a panic situation when you are cold and weather is rough, it is easy to overlook this and thinking help is on the way, and they just cant get a proper location on you. There have been reported instances of a PLB being set off and signal dropping out. I think this is one of the main reasons why they still insist on EPIRB for offshore as it is more fool proof, other than getting separated of course.

Another safety feature you may consider if you are likely to be anchoring in tide flow is to actually have a leash to your kayak. This is standard practice in ocean skis where they attach a leash to their calf as the risk of tipping out is high in that sport and as they are so light even a light breeze quickly blows the boat out of reach. Fall out when anchored in many parts of WP and your kayak stays where its is while you go on your way with no hope of swimming back. Must admit I haven't done it in the past, but now that I am dabbling in surf skis I can really appreciate it so may well adapt it to kayak fishing

Return to “Marine Electronics”