Fish Finders ?????

georged2

Re: Fish Finders ?????

Post by georged2 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:24 pm

I searching the net and there's heaps of info. Pros and Cons for both.

Most fishing charters use thru hull. Why would they do that.
Early to bed, Early to rise, Fish all day, Tell big lies

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:38 pm

For starters most fishing charters have totally different boats and even if they are V planning hulls they are much bigger and sit a lot deeper in the water.

Most charters are using 2kw or 3kw through hulls which are setup in a very different way to what you are planning to go with. They have a perfectly flat surface finish where as the transducers you are looking at 600w and 1kw through hulls has a ridge around the edge and this effects the water flow.

Apart from the transducer differences in those applications the transducer is built into the hull in most cases by the manufacture in just the right location. They are normally at the bottom of the Vee in a flattened area instead of off to the side with a tilted element.

Even the experts do not get the through hull installs right and I have heard of more dud installs than good ones. Transom mount is very easy to install and even if they do stuff it up you can easily relocate not to mention most brackets have a lot of adjustability built into them.

1kw transom mount will outperform and I would assume cost less than a 600w through hull.

End of the day your boat and your $$ let us know how it goes.

TackleNut

Post by TackleNut » Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:01 pm

georged2,

when I was working in the industry many years ago I had personally installed a few hundred trans mount units to 0 through hull units so I can't comment on the pros and cons about them.
All I know is that in those 6 years I worked there I think we only ever had 3 or max 5 total that didn't work properly above 5 - 10 knots and all of them were fixed by by repositioning the transducer. And I am now talking about our combined installs, not just the me or one of the other mechs.
That issue should have been fixed by your installers/workshop that fitted it.
Good luck in sorting it out with the new braodband unit, the ones I have seen seem to be much sharper & clearer, but the other one should work very well anyway
TN

frozenpod

Post by frozenpod » Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:03 pm

One last thing to add, even though it sounds like you have made up your mind.

Most installers/retailers cant install a transom mount properly and it is pretty clear yours is not installed correctly. Would you trust them to cut a sizeable hole in your hull and properly install a through hull.

Tackle nut sounds like he is going with a 600w 50/200 through hull not a chirp.

TackleNut

Post by TackleNut » Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:15 pm

frozenpod wrote:One last thing to add, even though it sounds like you have made up your mind.
Tackle nut sounds like he is going with a 600w 50/200 through hull not a chirp.
Yes I think he has and best of luck to him.
Just one big mistake as far as I am concered, but obivously some one has gotten into his ear about the through hulls.
Go to say if I had fitted 3 trans mount transducers per year that didn't work above 5-10 knots I would have been sacked.
The way some people talk about these transom transducers, I don't think NASA would want to have touched them
Luckly it's not rocket science, just some know how, experience and common sense.
The experience helped a lot as it gave a pretty good idea of what worked and what caused issues, but in reality just following the installion guide was good enough to give you a base that worked well enough anyway.
It's not about space shuttle secrets.

frozenpod

Post by frozenpod » Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:18 pm

Thats it mate, sadly more often then not the installation is performed by muppets and is stuffed up even for a simple transom mount.

georged2

Post by georged2 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:56 am

So guys, you are telling me that a trans mount will allow me to travel 20knots or more with a clear image on the screen?

I was meant to be on the road travelling to Braeside this morning to get this thru hull installed and I'm still at home, so my mind is still not made up.

I have a 50/200 tran mount that has come with my Lowrance HDS Gen2 still sitting in the box. I was going to install it myself, any takers to install it then and prove that it works. Happy to pay.

frozenpod

Post by frozenpod » Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:57 am

I can travel at 45 knots with transom mount with a clear imagine on the screen although at that speed you will never see fish.

georged2

Post by georged2 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:10 am

After speaking to Lowrance Navico in the USA, they have suggested that a thru hull would be better. After reading that there are many issues with the Transom type and only 1 person "frozenod" bagging the thru hull I've decided to go with the thru hull.

I hope and it's going to be as I expect it. Fingers crossed and I hope frozenpod you wrong about the thru hull. :)

frozenpod

Post by frozenpod » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:23 am

I hope I am wrong too.

BTW give you already have a transom mount why not just try relocating it or adjusting it.

Cost nothing and will fix your issue.

Return to “Marine Electronics”