Chartplotter no backlight

JonnyV

Chartplotter no backlight

Post by JonnyV » Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:34 pm

Hey guys, long time forum lurker and thought since i finally bought my first boat i should sign up! Anyway with the boat i got a depth sounder unit and a Navman Tracker 5500 but it has no lighting and is barely visable, does anyone know somewhere in the northern suburbs or melbourne where i can get this fixed?

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Re: Chartplotter no backlight

Post by Nude up » Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:52 pm

When you say it has no lighting the adjustment panel opens but nothing happens or its just very dim and you cant see the screen

JonnyV

Post by JonnyV » Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:14 am

its constantly dim, the guy i got the boat from said the light bulb in it is blown or something along the lines of that. Cant even see it load up, am i better off just buying a new unit if that is the case

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:01 am

It might be fixable.

I wouldn't expect change out of $300 though.

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Post by Wolly Bugger » Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:25 am

JonnyV wrote:its constantly dim, the guy i got the boat from said the light bulb in it is blown or something along the lines of that. Cant even see it load up, am i better off just buying a new unit if that is the case

Light Bulb, I doubt it, the light bulb is the backlight for night time.

Perhaps the settings are not correct, as far as I know is that on most fish finder/depth sounders, you can adjust the settings to make the screen brighter or dimmer, just like you can do with your computer screen. If playing with the settings doesn't fix the problem, it might be better to buy a new one.

adamk

Post by adamk » Fri Jan 22, 2016 2:30 pm

contrast setting.
as for led replacement, if your not incompetent with a soldering iron.
i'd do it myself, as any shops going to charge like a wounded bull.
an no doubt surface mount leds, just think of something the size of a 2 match heads.
but personally i think the lcd screen would be burnt out

did a lil googling

If you already have the handbook'Operation and Installation manual' page 2-2 shows there is a sunlight setting in addition to the 'normal' one, and a 'night-time' setting as well; the values can be altered by the slider for each choice. I don't see any reference to an illuminating diode in the Tech Spec page if thats what is used for this. It does say that there are no user-serviceable parts within the unit though.
Para 2-4 on the next page gives a tip for pressing the ON button twice to give the brightest screen with a maximum backlight and the Night mode off.

Yes it can be repaired,it has a cold cayhode fluorescent lamp (ccfl) and an inverter (12v to 600v and very small) i was told either the lamp or the inverter may be had it.90% chance it will be the lamp.I had the lamps made in USA and sent to Australia and succeded to fix it It had the same symptoms Visible in the dark but impossible in the sunlight.

Return to “Marine Electronics”