Top tips close to Melbourne

Pier Fishing, Rock Fishing and general land based fishing around Melbourne
The Professor
Has liked: 3 times

Top tips close to Melbourne

Post by The Professor » Thu Feb 09, 2023 11:28 pm

Hi all

My daughter (12yo) and I go fishing a bit, mostly over summer and/or when on holiday at Phillip Island, Gippsland, Barwon Heads etc. Our preference is beach fishing although I think pier fishing would also suit us. We're happy as long as we get some nibbles and are a fair chance to pull something in now and then. I was hoping to hear some recommendations for reliable spots that you'd recommend within a day trip from Melbourne (say up to an hour or maybe hour and a half drive max?).

I know this is a broad brief, but we're really just looking for pleasant environments, not too challenging in terms of set-up or gear requirements, where we'll have fun and maybe catch a few fish if we're lucky!

Thanks a lot!

Kenle
Has liked: 214 times

Re: Top tips close to Melbourne

Post by Kenle » Thu Feb 09, 2023 11:57 pm

Our local piers offer great fishing if you have the right rigs and set up. Then pick a good weather with a rising tide, you should be able to catch a few pinkies or flattys maybe even whiting or trevs this time of the year at Altona Rock groins. I was at Wyndham harbour last week and caught a few pan size pinkies, 2 undersize gummys and a few banjo's ofcoarse all released. I was also at St kinda pier few weeks back and caught heaps of undersize pinkies along with couple 40+ cm ones on pilchard, got a thumper flatty there too also on pilchard. Saw some asians catching few nice breams on bass yabbies. I was at Brighton pier just for a drive and walk around few days ago and saw fisherman's catching King george whiting and pinkies on squid strip's. Goodluck, hope you find this helpful

Sebb
Has liked: 3011 times

Post by Sebb » Fri Feb 10, 2023 5:33 am

The Professor wrote:
Thu Feb 09, 2023 11:28 pm
Hi all

My daughter (12yo) and I go fishing a bit, mostly over summer and/or when on holiday at Phillip Island, Gippsland, Barwon Heads etc. Our preference is beach fishing although I think pier fishing would also suit us. We're happy as long as we get some nibbles and are a fair chance to pull something in now and then. I was hoping to hear some recommendations for reliable spots that you'd recommend within a day trip from Melbourne (say up to an hour or maybe hour and a half drive max?).

I know this is a broad brief, but we're really just looking for pleasant environments, not too challenging in terms of set-up or gear requirements, where we'll have fun and maybe catch a few fish if we're lucky!

Thanks a lot!
All of port phillip bay piers are great to fish.
If you're specifically looking for beach fishinf within an hour or so, Ocean Grove / Barwon Heads is great. Mornington Peninsula beaches are good too, even the back beach. But becareful with thr back beach, cam get a bit rough. Make sure to check the tide, wind, etc.
Balnarring/Somers in western port bay is pretty good this time of year too.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

Charles7
Has liked: 98 times

Post by Charles7 » Fri Feb 10, 2023 7:50 am

Docklands behind Marvel and along North Wharf.

Maribyrnong River between Canning Reserve and Angler's Tavern.

Kerferd Rd Pier at dusk.

Portsea, Sorrento and Blairgowrie piers if you're happy to drive a bit further.

All these places fish best on a rising tide in my experience, especially late afternoon onwards. Good luck.

The Professor
Has liked: 3 times

Post by The Professor » Sun Feb 12, 2023 3:14 pm

Thank you all. Fantastic. Much appreciated. I will report back once we've been out and about!

Return to “Melbourne Land Based Fishing”