Sebb
Has liked: 3001 times

Re: Yarra river Bream on SP's

Post by Sebb » Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:17 pm

KChubbs wrote:
Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:02 pm
Sebb wrote:
Thu Oct 07, 2021 7:54 pm
The water looks dirty, gotta be a lot of freshwater flowing from the recent rain. You gotta fish deeper. That condition is best with blade in deep water.
In summer or no rain for days/weeks, the bream can be in a foot of water, often can be seen!

Ahh.. I see, thanks for that! I feel like the yarra throughout CBD is very shallow, so would I need to head further downstream towards Docklands for deeper water?

Cheers! :ch:
Some parts of yarra is deep. For example, along south wharf and north wharf are deep enough.
Along Southbank bridges and between too, it's deep enough there.
If there's too much freshwater, going downstream is s good idea, more salt, possibly more fish congregated.
I would fish upstream from botanical during summer and or no rain for days. There would be plenty of salt from the tides all the way up to Burnley bridge.

There's always bream in Docklands btw, whenever and whatever is the condition.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

KChubbs
Has liked: 26 times

Post by KChubbs » Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:59 pm

Sebb wrote:
Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:17 pm
KChubbs wrote:
Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:02 pm
Sebb wrote:
Thu Oct 07, 2021 7:54 pm
The water looks dirty, gotta be a lot of freshwater flowing from the recent rain. You gotta fish deeper. That condition is best with blade in deep water.
In summer or no rain for days/weeks, the bream can be in a foot of water, often can be seen!

Ahh.. I see, thanks for that! I feel like the yarra throughout CBD is very shallow, so would I need to head further downstream towards Docklands for deeper water?

Cheers! :ch:
Some parts of yarra is deep. For example, along south wharf and north wharf are deep enough.
Along Southbank bridges and between too, it's deep enough there.
If there's too much freshwater, going downstream is s good idea, more salt, possibly more fish congregated.
I would fish upstream from botanical during summer and or no rain for days. There would be plenty of salt from the tides all the way up to Burnley bridge.

There's always bream in Docklands btw, whenever and whatever is the condition.
Thanks a lot Sebb, really appreciate it! :gj:

sloth
Has liked: 6 times

Post by sloth » Fri Oct 08, 2021 12:56 pm

Yeah that isnt ideal … if I had to fish that pontoon in the pic I’d probably go onto it and do a few casts along the front edge … maybe slow roll the plastic along it too … just see if any are holding up underneath it. That backside/pylon is low chance I reckon.

Not sure if the Yarra has a drop off but the other thing you can try is to fan cast. So each time you’d cast along the bank, 45deg out, 90deg out, 135 degrees out and then move on. Covers more water that way and may get fish holding further out on a drop off/weed bed or other structure.

As sebb says though, always resident fish at the docks if it’s in your limits. Gives a few more options with techniques too

Return to “Melbourne Land Based Fishing”