Yabbies or Crabs?

Pier Fishing, Rock Fishing and general land based fishing around Melbourne
LordHarold

Yabbies or Crabs?

Post by LordHarold » Sat Dec 26, 2020 9:56 pm

G'Day all,

I got my first bait pump today and wanted to try out pumping some yabbies. So I drove down to warneet on a scouting run during the low tide. Walked on the muddy flats next to the yacht club and stared at the holes for some time standing dead still. What I soon noticed was that a lot of crabs walked out of these holes. Well, almost half the holes. Carrying my curiosity, I drove up to Blind Bight, and then down to Tooradin only to find the same thing.

So my question is; how do I know which holes are crab holes and which ones are yabbies. Many have told me these locations are good for pumping yabbies but no one told me what to look for as a first timer.

Sebb
Has liked: 3010 times

Re: Yabbies or Crabs?

Post by Sebb » Sat Dec 26, 2020 10:41 pm

I have no idea, but if there are crabs there where you're fishing then I'm guessing it's as good bait as yabbies.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

LordHarold

Post by LordHarold » Sun Dec 27, 2020 10:30 am

Thanks Sebb for the input. As per my understanding, you aren’t allowed to use a bait pump to collect crabs. And I have no experience in collecting these red shore crabs by hand because they are quite agile creatures. May be it’s time to get some research going about how to collect them. And what species they are a good bait for.

Texas
Has liked: 221 times

Post by Texas » Sun Dec 27, 2020 10:45 am

$2 shops sell "fairy" nets or butterfly nets
I use one for grasshoppers
Gra

Seniorfisho
Has liked: 798 times

Post by Seniorfisho » Sun Dec 27, 2020 11:54 am

Yabbie holes are usually smaller than crab holes I think, anyway, have you had a look on Youtube, plenty of info there

Sebb
Has liked: 3010 times

Post by Sebb » Sun Dec 27, 2020 1:12 pm

LordHarold wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 10:30 am
Thanks Sebb for the input. As per my understanding, you aren’t allowed to use a bait pump to collect crabs. And I have no experience in collecting these red shore crabs by hand because they are quite agile creatures. May be it’s time to get some research going about how to collect them. And what species they are a good bait for.
Oh yeah that's true, I don't think we're allowed to collect crabs and other molluscs in tidal area. We're allowed to collect crabs by hand deeper than the tidal 'zone'.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

LordHarold

Post by LordHarold » Sun Dec 27, 2020 3:02 pm

Seniorfisho wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 11:54 am
Yabbie holes are usually smaller than crab holes I think, anyway, have you had a look on Youtube, plenty of info there
Thanks. That’s something I didn’t know before. I’ll keep that in mind the next time I go scouting.
Texas wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 10:45 am
$2 shops sell "fairy" nets or butterfly nets
I use one for grasshoppers
Gra
Thank you, I believe these are for crabs? I’m going to first get some yabbies because I already got myself a pump.
Sebb wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 1:12 pm
Oh yeah that's true, I don't think we're allowed to collect crabs and other molluscs in tidal area. We're allowed to collect crabs by hand deeper than the tidal 'zone'.
I’m sure we are allowed to collect in Western Port but the thing is these little things are very agile and they run away before you can take a good look at them 😂

Omer
Has liked: 33 times

Post by Omer » Sun Dec 27, 2020 4:40 pm

It's going to take some trial and error, but once you figure it out it's quite straight forward to get a few yabbies for bait. From experience, the yabbies are usually a touch closer to the water (when the water is low obviously). I mean I've never pumped from WP but they usually prefer really wet mud, almost to the point where the hole is still submerged in water. They don't go out and crawl around like the crabs (who can be more on the outskirts and survive in the moist, but not wet, sand). Yabbies need more water to survive during the low tide. Hope this provides some direction.

Make sure to wash down your pump also afterward and have fun baiting them up. It's the one part I don't enjoy.
What is meant for you, will never miss you. That which misses you was never meant for you.

Return to “Melbourne Land Based Fishing”