Warmies 23/12 21:00-10:30

Pier Fishing, Rock Fishing and general land based fishing around Melbourne
Leonard
Has liked: 53 times

Warmies 23/12 21:00-10:30

Post by Leonard » Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:23 pm

Thought I would head out and see if the fishing was any good after the rain had cleared today. I set up at the HMAS Yarra Memorial Jetty with the hope of catching a couple of mullet as bait. No luck with the mullet unfortunately - I've found that they go off the bite after dark. True to previous reports though, I did get a hit on a pilchard tail just after a barge boat passed, but whatever it was snagged me. Possibly a banjo or a flattie by the feel of it - I did manage a good sized flattie there about a year ago. I only saw a plague of toadies in the shallows otherwise. It seems to be a very snaggy area there with a rocky bottom. Moving from a running sinker to a paternoster with a small sinker seemed to help, but casting this was a luxury afforded by the strong SW wind blowing from behind me. My quest to catch and use live mullet like the guys on youtube continues!

On another note, I would be wary of fishing on the jetty itself in the future. Its constant movement can make things hard. One of my rods fell in the water as I was packing up thanks to the movement and it took a little while to get it out. Catch of the day I suppose :rf:. Can confirm that the water is still quite saline after all the rain having tasted it.

Leo

Irishfisherman
Has liked: 237 times

Re: Warmies 23/12 21:00-10:30

Post by Irishfisherman » Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:44 pm

Good stuff mate, shame about the fishing. I wouldn’t recommend tasting the water at the Warmies, especially after rain, hopefully it’s fine.

Sebb
Has liked: 3010 times

Post by Sebb » Wed Dec 23, 2020 9:18 am

Thanks for the report, I was wondering about the water, thinking to fish there.
It is very snaggy area but good catches can come out of there.
I hooked a mulloway years ago on a live mullet at night in the yarra, so it's definitely can work, takes a bit of effort that's all.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Wed Dec 23, 2020 10:06 am

That area is very snaggy. But I’ve found fish often hang around in snaggy areas.
Better luck next time mate!
Cheers 👍🏻

Leonard

Post by Leonard » Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:28 am

Cheers guys, I assure tasting the water was purely a side effect of retrieving my rod haha. I know a fair few microbiologists that would scold me...

Agreed about snags holding fish. I've tried float fishing there to avoid the snags but with no luck. What do you reckon about that? Is it too deep or have you done it successfully before?

Sebb

Post by Sebb » Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:37 am

bong wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:28 am
What do you reckon about that? Is it too deep or have you done it successfully before?
As in fishing there with a float?
During slack tide, low wind and high salinity (hasn't been raining), you can get bream, trevally and mullet. But often there's a bit of current or strong wind, hard to keep the float in the strike zone.

Leonard

Post by Leonard » Wed Dec 23, 2020 1:13 pm

Sebb wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:37 am
bong wrote:
What do you reckon about that? Is it too deep or have you done it successfully before?
During slack tide, low wind and high salinity (hasn't been raining), you can get bream, trevally and mullet. But often there's a bit of current or strong wind, hard to keep the float in the strike zone.
Yeah mate, floating out bigger baits for pinkies and the like. I suppose the bream and trevally etc. would take floated baits more regularly. I’m going to head down in a couple of hours and maybe give it a go! Hopefully I arrive at one of those brown meets clear water colour situations after the rain.

Leonard

Post by Leonard » Wed Dec 23, 2020 8:06 pm

bong wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 1:13 pm
Sebb wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:37 am
bong wrote:
Yeah mate, floating out bigger baits for pinkies and the like. I suppose the bream and trevally etc. would take floated baits more regularly. I’m going to head down in a couple of hours and maybe give it a go! Hopefully I arrive at one of those brown meets clear water colour situations after the rain.
Bit of a real-time update: fished Footscray and Ferguson st pier for mullet for zilch. Now trying Francis st jetty with scrubbies following advice from a bloke I chatted to there once. Not the night for it clearly. Will have to try again once the fresh water has dried up some more. You’d think mullet would be easiest to find but I have difficulty with it! I can find break anywhere but never the baitfish :sn: :sn: :w:

Sebb

Post by Sebb » Wed Dec 23, 2020 8:12 pm

bong wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 8:06 pm
Bit of a real-time update: fished Footscray and Ferguson st pier for mullet for zilch. Now trying Francis st jetty with scrubbies following advice from a bloke I chatted to there once. Not the night for it clearly. Will have to try again once the fresh water has dried up some more. You’d think mullet would be easiest to find but I have difficulty with it! I can find break anywhere but never the baitfish :sn: :sn: :w:
I hear you. Sometimes they're just there and everywhere and when you look for them they're nowhere.

Irishfisherman
Has liked: 237 times

Post by Irishfisherman » Wed Dec 23, 2020 8:23 pm

Hopefully you’ll be rewarded soon mate, maybe try a sabiki rig for the mullet with small pieces of raw chicken. You’ll need to cut the rig in half so that it’s still legal, also try using burley to bring them in. Hope this helps mate.

Return to “Melbourne Land Based Fishing”