Is Fishing Allowed under newest lockdown measures

Pier Fishing, Rock Fishing and general land based fishing around Melbourne
re-tyred
Has liked: 375 times

Re: Is Fishing Allowed under newest lockdown measures

Post by re-tyred » Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:30 am

I guess this all depends on your personal circumstances. if you have to travel some distance say an hour or more to go fishing then it could be considered unnecessary travel. If however it is a short trip and you are able to be isolated along the way and when you are there, with zero contact, then it would be within the guide lines we are currently under. (getting exercise and food). Personally as a 66yo I am very keen not to get it or to spread it. When I go to our local supermarket or even down town for my run/bike ride each day I pass our boat ramp. So to me I can go fishing without unnecessary travel. I have enough fuel in my boat and at home to do 5-6 trips out. I also have enough bait as I catch bait while out fishing. I go alone.
So to me it is simple going to the supermarket to get our protein. I will be going fishing weather permitting unless we go into full lockdown.
There was a mention of rescue services and not wanting to put them in danger of contracting it. As a member of the local service I know we have already put in place practices that minimise the chances of getting it. We are safer coming to get you than we would be going to the supermarket or chemist. Yes we would be even safer if we stayed home, but it is not a high risk. We will come and get you. However if you are going boating please do what you should already do and make sure you have prepared your boat perfectly. Most of our call outs are related to out of fuel or can't start due to flat battery. Seeing you are spending a lot of time at home these days do you boat maintenance to perfection.
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:13 am

I had a phone conversation with a "someone" close to me (who it is is irrelavent to this point) last night, just a normal conversation as we normally do.

It was clear to me that they were struggling with their mental well being. I brought it up, to which they were relieved to be able to chat about it. So we chatted. This person was concerned as she has markers of high risk.
This person works in an essential service and one that would highly likely still be "open" in a total lockdown (obviously depending on what that looked like).

The "intent" of the law is to save lives".

The restrictions are to save lives by not transmitting the virus, but suicide is going to be another killer due to the current situation.

It occurred to me last night that a cautious and well thought out trip, like going to the supermarket to get essential supplies to maintain physical wellbeing, is just as important as one to maintain mental wellbeing.

So the intent of the law, I see now, has got scope to work within the restriction, to save a life for trips with mental wellbeing purposes.

Cheers Bill
Happy to get his mental wellbeing by annoying you guys :)

Stay 1.5 m away from people for their physical wellbeing BUT "close" enough to them to help them with their mental wellbeing

SteveoTheTiger
Has liked: 182 times

Post by SteveoTheTiger » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:14 am

I wouldnt have a problem with going fishing at the moment, except the steering has decided to seize on my boat and i cant seem to get it free.

One of my other hobbies is photography and i am still going out most days for a walk and taking some photos. You cant just stay in your house forever, your body needs sunlight and exercise.
The only thing better than serenity is a two stroke at full throttle!
Check out my Flickr Photostream

Troy McLure
Has liked: 140 times

Post by Troy McLure » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:29 am

The way I interpret this situation is as long as I ( we) keep adherence to the social distance rules then it should be ok. Having said that, if thousands try go fishing at once then we will have a big problem and will be forced to stop.
I’m hoping to wet a line in a deserted place this weekend but my social conscience is starting to eat away at me after reading some comments on here.

Troy McLure
Has liked: 140 times

Post by Troy McLure » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:29 am

The way I interpret this situation is as long as I ( we) keep adherence to the social distance rules then it should be ok. Having said that, if thousands try go fishing at once then we will have a big problem and will be forced to stop.
I’m hoping to wet a line in a deserted place this weekend but my social conscience is starting to eat away at me after reading some comments on here.

Kimtown
Has liked: 303 times

Post by Kimtown » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:42 am

I’ve strictly adhered to social distancing so far during the pandemic and been extremely vigilant with my hygiene but I will be fishing this weekend with my cousin in a small tinny and nothing will stop me from doing that, bar a complete lock down.

Sue me.

smokin_reels
Has liked: 308 times

Post by smokin_reels » Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:42 pm

Snuck the kayak out of Clifton Springs and caught some Cala.
Slow cooked Cala in a stew and was amazing.
Pics and report to come
There is always more to learn , fish to catch , places to see and friends to make.

ChrisTaylor
Has liked: 27 times

Post by ChrisTaylor » Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:39 pm

Troy McLure wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:29 am
I'm in this dilemma too. And what occurs to me is while I can regulate my own behaviour -- staying away from others, and keeping my hands away from railings and etc -- I can't control others' behaviour. It's weird, as I've gone to piers and beaches -- quiet and busy ones -- and never put much thought into that before.

There's also a sense that by being out and about unnecessarily, I'm (and indeed all of us who still want to go fishing) potentially normalising this behaviour. That is to say, us going out and about when we're being advised to go home and stay home sends an implicit message that it's okay for all of us to go wherever the hell we like. I think if someone goes out and encounters no one, it reinforces the message that they should stay at home. If they go out and see lots of people (ignoring the efforts those people may be taking to distance themselves from others), it makes going out 'okay.'

I'm torn between not going out fishing at all, which is my current position, and sticking to quieter locations (i.e. avoiding Mordialloc and Mornington). I don't need to get bait, given I've got plenty of plastics and jigheads, so I can go out and conceivably have zero interactions with anyone ... but maybe I don't need to directly interact with someone to have an influence over their behaviour.

hornet
Has liked: 123 times

Post by hornet » Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:44 pm

Or fish in restricted windows, say 11 pm to 2 am, that would avoid all but the very die hard, being stealth by night no messages being sent to the general public.
He who has the most fishing rods WINS ! :ts:

smokin_reels
Has liked: 308 times

Post by smokin_reels » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:02 pm

hornet wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:44 pm
Or fish in restricted windows, say 11 pm to 2 am, that would avoid all but the very die hard, being stealth by night no messages being sent to the general public.
Might line up with normal Jewfish working hours
There is always more to learn , fish to catch , places to see and friends to make.

Return to “Melbourne Land Based Fishing”