Is Fishing Allowed under newest lockdown measures

Pier Fishing, Rock Fishing and general land based fishing around Melbourne
FishHunter81

Is Fishing Allowed under newest lockdown measures

Post by FishHunter81 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:57 am

Hi guys. What's the rule and or thoughts with fishing lb in these times given they say you can exercise with immediate family or alone. But obviously nature of fishing means it wouldn't be a quick 15 min event? Common sense I know but thought I'd ask given going to have some time off

meppstas
Has liked: 903 times

Re: Is Fishing Allowed under newest lockdown measures

Post by meppstas » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:21 am

Not sure how it would effect fishing as long as you kept the correct distance from each other, boat fishing on your own should be okay, may be different especially in a small craft with more than one person though... Beach or rock fishing with plenty of space can't see anything wrong there, same goes for rivers & lakes.. It's still okay to fish here in Tassie at this stage.. I'm sure there's someone on here that will come up with more helpful info for you for Victoria on what you can & can't do.... I know they're advising people to stay well away from others as often as you can & if you don't need to go out then stay at home.

cheers
Adrian
'' Brand Ambassador for Mepps Lures in Australia '' Tackle Tactics, Okuma, Mepps & Platypus lines Pro Team Member

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClk58e ... m8yelCSKCw

Robbie1950
Has liked: 213 times

Post by Robbie1950 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:24 am

The Victorian Fishing Authority made a statement on Instagram a couple of days ago saying that fishing is still allowed but to avoid fishing on piers, jetty's and places where people congregate in numbers.

In saying that, this was before last nights announcement by Scomo.

CannonsJS
Has liked: 70 times

Post by CannonsJS » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:28 am

I can't see it being a problem at all as long as you aren't shoulder to shoulder with people on a pier. Just find a nice quiet spot somewhere and fish for as long as you like. IMO

Fishing in boats I guess we really shouldn't be. I saw that the NZ coastguard are appealing for people to not go out on the water. While we are not as strict here currently we really should treat it the same way since we can't guarantee we won't need assistance out there due to unforseen circumstances. https://www.coastguard.nz/news-media/co ... the-water/

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:07 am

Before last night's announcement, I contemplated going to Westlakes for a relaxing bait fishing session for Bream.

They generally are small, so it was more for the relaxing "me" time to just chill.

I know a few quiet spots, so thought should be good. There are at times another fisho, which is always good for a chat if we keep our distance. But then I remembered sometimes there's more than one (so not sure why I call it a quiet spot)

I found myself justifying going , , , , even talking scenarios down. Then it occured to me. Deep down I knew I shouldn't BUT how is that different to going shopping etc I thought.

I didn't end up going :(

Is it a case of each demographic talking themselves into justification.

I concluded that it wasn't the "letter of the law" I needed to follow BUT the intent of the law, and what it was trying to achieve and equally what it was trying to avoid.

Cheers, Bugsey

Trumpeter
Has liked: 71 times

Post by Trumpeter » Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:45 am

My wife and I have agreed to only go out for essentials, It's the best time for KGW and I just got the boat motor serviced last week to, Damn this virus!

laneends
Has liked: 3 times

Post by laneends » Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:00 am

At the end of the day its like squeezing out the last bit of toothpaste...getting hard to justify and it will all be stopped in black and white pretty soon. So its better to accept it now in the spirit of what it is all trying to achieve. It kinda sets a poor example to others who will think well if you can do that I can do this. The line in the sand is only nominal....

By next week the debate of "can I cant I?" will sound petty in hindsight. Its like asking how long its safe to play on the tracks before the freight train arrives, and its coming..

If the changes they have made now flatten it out(which they probably wont,) then thats time to start questioning how firm that line is. Now is not the time to be flying close to the wind.

Troy McLure
Has liked: 140 times

Post by Troy McLure » Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:15 am

It’s a good question,I’m planning on some beach fishing at a place that will be deserted completely this weekend. I’ll be lucky to see anyone let alone catch anything ( disease or fish). I want to do what is right but I also know that this might be my last fishing escapade for god knows how long.

Texas
Has liked: 221 times

Post by Texas » Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:02 pm

I was thinking of going to the Barmah forest.
Servos still open, shops still open & plenty of open space.
BUT - everyone is saying - STAY HOME
I don't see a problem, but I'm staying home
Cheers Gra

Kenle
Has liked: 214 times

Post by Kenle » Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:02 pm

This is realy tough, working my butt off all week getting abused and bashed around by ppl because of this virus scare, I just need an escape and that's in the form of fishing. Being landbase means most likely be in the company of many others, if I bunker down at home only to go back to work and doing it all over might be a breaking point. Surely there's a way to safely fish protected from the virus. If you see a spaceman in a suit with airtanks on a pier somewhere flicking a plastic out, it would be me so just wave :wt:

Return to “Melbourne Land Based Fishing”