Re: Long Weekend Plans

Post by cobby » Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:04 am

fortula999 wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:05 pm
cobby wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:22 am
Dr Snapper wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:07 pm
Planning Williamstown but with all that dirty water coming down the Yarra I’m not sure if that’s a good plan.
I have been told in the past to find the ‘line’ between the dirty and clean water as that can be productive, but others have said get as far away from dirty water as possible.

Thoughts?
Don't worry about dirty water, 6 of us had a short but very hot bite late last night on all sorts of lures. Visibility into the water was only about 10cm at most.
What did you catch, where was the general area and what were they on?
Undersized pinkies, perch and some not so secret silvers in the metropolitan area. They took an assortment of lures from plastics to diving hard bodies to surface stick baits and even home tied flies. The water is that filthy you wouldn't see your shoelaces in ankle deep water for the most part

Dr Snapper
Has liked: 7 times

Post by Dr Snapper » Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:28 am

cobby wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:04 am
fortula999 wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:05 pm
cobby wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:22 am
Dr Snapper wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:07 pm
Planning Williamstown but with all that dirty water coming down the Yarra I’m not sure if that’s a good plan.
I have been told in the past to find the ‘line’ between the dirty and clean water as that can be productive, but others have said get as far away from dirty water as possible.

Thoughts?
Don't worry about dirty water, 6 of us had a short but very hot bite late last night on all sorts of lures. Visibility into the water was only about 10cm at most.
What did you catch, where was the general area and what were they on?
Undersized pinkies, perch and some not so secret silvers in the metropolitan area. They took an assortment of lures from plastics to diving hard bodies to surface stick baits and even home tied flies. The water is that filthy you wouldn't see your shoelaces in ankle deep water for the most part
I made it out to Williamstown and Altona and the water was fine, I expected it to be a bit of a mess with the dirt run off from the Yarra but it was the same clarity as usual. I could easily see the bottom at Altona. Lots of weed at Williamstown.
I thought I was in for a great session at as I had a 40 centre meter flathead in the boat after 1 minute on Sunday but only caught 3 more keepers for the day, with lots just undersize flatties as well. Ah well, it’s a feed so that great. Cheers.

Aimless
Has liked: 15 times

Post by Aimless » Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:43 am

Hey everyone - reviving this for the new long weekend.

Anyone heading out for a fish?

I was thinking of trying Mt Martha rocks, never been there and finally figured out where the entry point is.

Weather was looking bad but checked this morning and tomorrow morning the wind isn't too wild so maybe that's the way to go.

Sebb
Has liked: 3001 times

Post by Sebb » Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:39 am

Aimless wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:43 am

I was thinking of trying Mt Martha rocks, never been there and finally figured out where the entry point is.

Weather was looking bad but checked this morning and tomorrow morning the wind isn't too wild so maybe that's the way to go.
Good luck.
Careful with the rocks, can be slippery when wet. And avoid east wind.

I'm going to lakes entrance with wife and few friends. Hopefully I'll get my first king. Or golden tagged fish.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

Aimless

Post by Aimless » Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:43 am

Seb85 wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:39 am
Aimless wrote:

Good luck.

I'm going to lakes entrance with wife and few friends. Hopefully I'll get my first king. Or golden tagged fish.
Do you mean an Easterly blowing behind your back? I would have thought that's better conditions there (casting wise anyway). Cheers for the advice as always Seb. Good luck with the Kings!!

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:45 am

Seb85 wrote:
Aimless wrote:

Good luck.

any specific reason you say that?

Brett
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Brett » Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:41 am

purple5ive wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:45 am
Seb85 wrote:
Aimless wrote:

Good luck.

Yes, I'm interested in why you say this also. An East wind down at the rocks is some of the best conditions for gar, squid and whiting.

Sebb

Post by Sebb » Fri Mar 06, 2020 2:11 pm

Ooopps... I meant west wind!!!

Sebb

Post by Sebb » Fri Mar 06, 2020 2:13 pm

Aimless wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:43 am
Seb85 wrote:
Aimless wrote:

Good luck.

Do you mean an Easterly blowing behind your back? I would have thought that's better conditions there (casting wise anyway). Cheers for the advice as always Seb. Good luck with the Kings!!
purple5ive wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:45 am

Brett wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:41 am

Yes, I'm interested in why you say this also. An East wind down at the rocks is some of the best conditions for gar, squid and whiting.
Ooops I meant west wind!!
My bad, apologies.

Aimless

Post by Aimless » Fri Mar 06, 2020 2:29 pm

Thanks Seb! Figured that the case but just wanted to check in case I was going to get blown into the water!

Return to “Melbourne Land Based Fishing”