39%
I dont target them at all / they are just bycatch
14%

Total votes: 28

SteveoTheTiger
Has liked: 182 times

Do you target Australian Salmon?

Post by SteveoTheTiger » Fri May 08, 2020 3:48 pm

It looks like Australian Salmon will be an active species in the Bay when fishing is allowed and i wonder if it is a fish that people specifically go out and target (ie: that is your main goal for the day) or is it more that they just happen to see a bust up and take some time out to go and chase them.

I find them to be an interesting fish in that there are a lot of them around and they a great sport fish, but are generally regarded as pretty low eating fish and not often spoken about compared to Snapper or Squid for example. You dont see the boat ramps full because the Bay Trout are on the bite.

Then of course there are those that are only catching them for bait.

Personally i have never targeted them and also never really bothered about them at all. But with my post Covid-19 resolution going to be to try and get out on the water more in the colder months Australian Salmon seem like a perfect target to chase.
The only thing better than serenity is a two stroke at full throttle!
Check out my Flickr Photostream

Bugatti

Re: Do you target Australian Salmon?

Post by Bugatti » Fri May 08, 2020 3:58 pm

I don't "primarily" target them as a stand alone trip. I do though target them as a targeted by-catch , , , , if that makes sense.
Also if it works out "convenient", on holiday trips away, if we hear near by there are Salmon about, then yes, we make the little trip from the holiday location BUT not specifically from Adelaide just for the Salmon.

While Mully Fishing, Salmon are a good by-catch, not just for bait but also for munchies. If out in the boat and we notice a bust up, then away we cast :-D

Mate Don does a Salmon Mornay that is awesome, but equally on the Charcoal Grate with the standard Greek "Lemon, Oregano & Olive Oil" basting :tu:

Cheers, Bugmon

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Fri May 08, 2020 4:08 pm

I am always on the lookout for them, ALWAYS!!!!!
if i see birds busting up and the desired species isnt playing the game, then i ask the crew if they want to head that way, more often than not its a lets go catch some salmon.

i am also always watching my sounder, so lot of the time i accidentally find them on sidescan, or if i get one as bycatch then i will actively go searching for them on sidescan, provided im not fishing for snapper or squid and the bite is Red Hot.

Im generally fishing for fun, so most often i will always throw out a lure for salmon in areas they seem to frequent.

i take some of the big ones home with me now as the kids love eating it, those big 50cm plus salmon have some decent fillets on them and if bled and looked after straight after capture is good eating in my books

Starlo just had a post about this just a few days ago on social mdeia..

salmon will deferentially be on my list of fish to look out for when im back fishing.

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Fri May 08, 2020 4:12 pm

Yes. Spinning surf beaches with CarlG was where my obsession with saltwater spinning started. We use them as live baits, chunk baits, strips, cutlets, etc and hang the frames over the edge of the rocks or on a rope into the wash as berley.

They are fine to eat if you ikijimi them, bleed them straight away, bury them face down in the sand for the blood to run out and cook them on the same day.

After a day in the fridge they sort of just disintigrate and get really 'fishy'.

If you haven't experienced spinning a surf beach with a school of salmon in front of you, I highly recommend making a crack at Gunnamatta, Kilcunda or 13th over the next few month, it is some of the most fun you can possibly have.

Before you ask the next question, any 9 foot rod about 6-10kg that casts 25-50g, a lightweight, highgeared 4000 or 5000 sized reel like the biomaster xg, any shiny lure about 40g with a hook on the end, 12lb tasline 20lb leader. Walk up and down the beach to different gutters spinning as you go until you find a school to sit on until they swim off. There have been countless times we've had repeated 4-5 way hookups and gone 5+ fish a casts in a row like this. You can take a surface lure like a halco roosta or a gt icecream for extra fun.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

Tim399
Has liked: 251 times

Post by Tim399 » Fri May 08, 2020 4:26 pm

When out in the kayak in the salt I always have a dedicated 2-4kg rod with a white zman slimswimz rigged in a rod holder, ready for a bust up or when I pass over a school. Chasing down a salmon bust up, pedalling flat out sure gets the heart going. Probably because I’m not match fit!

Sebb
Has liked: 2999 times

Post by Sebb » Fri May 08, 2020 4:42 pm

They can be very mobile. Chasing them specifically on the surf is common, otherwise, like others said, always be 'ready'.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Post by bowl » Fri May 08, 2020 4:47 pm

If I'm Targeting gummy shark ,then 100% I will be lookin / targeting them for fresh bait.
To many boats kayak, helicopter , catch a fish,catch a fish

Troy McLure
Has liked: 140 times

Post by Troy McLure » Fri May 08, 2020 4:49 pm

I target them specifically from the surf although I’ve never come across a bust up like Dougie mentioned. Standing on a deserted beach chasing salmon is definitely one of life’s little joys. Even better if you land a few fish!

SteveoTheTiger
Has liked: 182 times

Post by SteveoTheTiger » Fri May 08, 2020 5:06 pm

I totally overlooked the fact that they are a major target of surf fishermen.
The only thing better than serenity is a two stroke at full throttle!
Check out my Flickr Photostream

re-tyred
Has liked: 372 times

Post by re-tyred » Fri May 08, 2020 5:39 pm

Love catching them love eating them and the leftovers make great bait.
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

Return to “Australian Salmon Fishing”