Looking for first boat

This is the place to introduce and tell everyone about yourself.
Kegga

Looking for first boat

Post by Kegga » Sun May 29, 2022 8:29 pm

G'day all,

I have been a long time lurker as I always felt i had much more to learn than i could ever give to this forum, but the time has come to finally ask for your opinions.

Firstly an introduction of myself. After a 15+ year break from fishing, i finally rediscovered my passion for it like i had back in my teens years.

Over the last couple of years i have progressed from land based fishing, to kayak fishing and now that my 2 sons are showing interest in it, hiring rental boats and getting my boat license. The time has finally come to start looking for our own boat to further (hopefully) carry on this family hobby.

As i have been looking at boats / prices over the last 6 months, i see that the used boat market is as inflated as used cars, but still have the itch to purchase my first boat.

Currently my list of requirements in a boat are as follows;
- 4-4.5m tinnie (as i know i will probably put a few dings into it as i learn)
- Tiller steer for space - forward control for comfort
- Suitable for primarily PPB but wouldn't mind exploring WP in the future
- Capable of seating 4 for bay cruising and able to fish 2 people comfortably / 3 at push
- Future accessories will include proper padded seats and a bimini top
- 20hp - 40hp preferably 2 stroke (for cost and ease of servicing)

Hopefully i am on the right track for this?

As with everyone looking for their first boat, i have gone through the increasing my budget process. Started looking for the cheapest affordable boats around $5k, to then increase to $10K budget in hopes of getting something better. Now i am starting to push my budget into the $10k - $15k area hoping of something good. I see alot of used boats being 15+ years old in the $8k - $13k price range that get me interested but not overly impressed. Question is, at what point do i bite the bullet and buy a new boat package like a Quintrex 390 Outback Explorer for $15k to then add the extras over time compared to a used boat for $8k -$13k that will still need some extra's added to it but also might be inheriting problems?

One boat i currently have my eye on ticks somemy requirements around the $8k price, but a pic of the motor has me concerned. I have yet to inspect this boat and am hopeful of doing so this week. What are your thoughts on the signs of rust on this picutre, am i better to run away from this or is it not a big of an issue and i am assuming?
Mercury Sea Pro 40 HP.JPG
Your thoughts and opinions are greatly appreciated

Cheers,
Kegga

fishnut
Has liked: 28 times

Re: Looking for first boat

Post by fishnut » Sun May 29, 2022 11:31 pm

Personally I wouldn't consider anything under 4.75/4.8 for 4 people crusing

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Post by Mattblack » Mon May 30, 2022 8:17 am

Your thought process seems pretty logical. Great time to buy a boat at the moment, if you find a good one jump on it before someone else does.
*Thoroughly inspect the trailer

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Post by bowl » Mon May 30, 2022 9:00 am

Four stroke ,centre console plenty of room.
I'd wait a while to buy, few more interest rate rises and might be more bargain boats on market
Screenshot_20220530-085827_Facebook.jpg
Screenshot_20220530-085839_Facebook.jpg
To many boats kayak, helicopter , catch a fish,catch a fish

sandef
Has liked: 54 times

Post by sandef » Mon May 30, 2022 7:47 pm

There's 525 cuddy for only 3500 more a bit of protection for the kids 60 HP 2 stroke

Kegga

Post by Kegga » Mon May 30, 2022 8:15 pm

Thanks for your opinions and replies so far.

I have been wondering how many interest rates rises and constant highs of petrol prices it will take before there is an influx of used boats into the market.

A few follow up questions so far.
What size boat becomes too big to be able to launch and retrieve solo?
What are your thoughts and pitfalls on homemade trailers?
Are they harder to get registered or do i need to worry about the lifespan due to build quality?

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Post by bowl » Mon May 30, 2022 9:50 pm

Screenshot_20220530-214840_Facebook.jpg
To many boats kayak, helicopter , catch a fish,catch a fish

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Post by Mattblack » Tue May 31, 2022 8:54 am

Kegga wrote:
Mon May 30, 2022 8:15 pm
Thanks for your opinions and replies so far.

I have been wondering how many interest rates rises and constant highs of petrol prices it will take before there is an influx of used boats into the market.

A few follow up questions so far.
What size boat becomes too big to be able to launch and retrieve solo?
What are your thoughts and pitfalls on homemade trailers?
Are they harder to get registered or do i need to worry about the lifespan due to build quality?
I launch a 5mt tinny solo and its pretty easy.
Trailers arent that complicated and are simple to inspect, look for good welds, little corrosion, good tyres and fresh bearings.

russellh2
Has liked: 1 time

Post by russellh2 » Tue May 31, 2022 4:20 pm

Making you mind up which/when to buy is a complicated process - Suggest that you join an angling club that fishes PPB / WPB regularly and let them know you are a "Newby" to boating and need some help - You will be surprised as to how any will be only too happy to help
Next.....Get hold of as much information that you can in relation to any Vessel and Motor Combination you may consider purchasing - Research, Research, Research pays off in the end.
Then, develop a "Score sheet" listing all of the things that you "want" /// Then a list of the things you "need" as a Minimum to be Happy and Safe for any combination you may be considering, get the Mum and Kids involved. This will make it easier If you know what I mean
Last but certainly not the least - Before purchasing any combination, arrange to have it "Surveyed" ( Google for who can do this - Some will actually visit where boat is prior to purchasing. -Similar to a Vehicle "Roadworthy Report but different - If the seller balks at this request/comment - Walk away and start again.
Remember you cannot walk on water so safety then comfort must be your major priorities - Good luck

Return to “Introductions”