A long "Hello" to FVF

This is the place to introduce and tell everyone about yourself.
Vekta
Has liked: 4 times

A long "Hello" to FVF

Post by Vekta » Thu Jul 15, 2021 5:11 pm

Hello FVF,

I’m not new to fishing but I am new to Australian fish species. The pandemic canceled my long anticipated visit and kept the girl friend and I separated. It was suppose to be a short visit followed by a longer visit in the future. In the mean time I have been watching a lot of fishing videos on youtube and checking out the kind of gear that’s commonly used over there.

Here in California my favorite pass time is walking the local fresh water creek 10 minutes on foot from my house. I mainly target Large Mouth and Spotted Bass. Crappie, Bluegill, Green Sunfish and Hybrids are common. There are also Common Carp, Steelhead Trout and Salmon in my local creek.

I have a very specific way of fishing and have been doing a lot of research to see if I can replicate that minimalist style of fishing. I don’t plan on using the exact same set up I use here but something in the same theme would be nice. I often only take 1 tiny rod and a small pocket sized tackle box.(pictures attached) I’ve caught most of the fish in my creek with the same set up. (with the exception of Carp and Salmon)

I’m hoping to come up with a more suitable set up to fish both fresh and salt water around Altona (on foot) as well as all around Port Phillip Bay. (by car) I like to travel light and tend to favor lures with multi-species versatility. From what I have seen in videos a lot of the baits I already use are quite common over there as well. I have picked up blade baits to try after seeing them in Australian fishing videos. They tend to get overshadowed by whatever the hot new Bass fishing lure is.

I do have a couple specific goals when angling in Australia:

1. Maintain the hobby. The girl friend is very much in favor of the hobby and the potential for family outings because of it. (To get the young one away from Roblox and Minecraft)

2. Fish for the table. Why not bring home some table fare while I’m out? I already have a brand new Shimano 8000 D Baitrunner just sitting on my shelf I plan to take with me and leave in Australia. So after I get the lighter set up sorted I can invest in a heavier rod for Snapper and Australian Salmon.

I joined the forum in the hopes of getting a more detailed point of view of what’s going on in Australian fisheries. Thank you for your time.
Attachments
20210714_214608.jpg
31" Solid glass blank w/ Customized "Tennessee Handle" & Soft plastic pocket box
20210714_225212.jpg
Lure Pocket Dump, typical baits

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Re: A long "Hello" to FVF

Post by purple5ive » Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:12 pm

Welcome Mate.
Depending on where you plan to take residence will depend on wethere you will be fishing salt water or fresh water systems.

Lure fishing is very popular here too, but varies a lot between salt water and fresh water fishing.

Blades, vibes, soft plastics, hardbodies all of them work well here too, and don't forget the squid fishing as well..

You rod is very unorthodox I must say, but I it works then so be it.

Sebb
Has liked: 2999 times

Post by Sebb » Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:38 pm

Welcome to the forum.
Sounds like you already done your homework.

To me greater Melbourne fishery is mostly salt and estuary. The close by fresh water creeks and rivers contain mostly carp. For the trout and other fresh water species, you gotta drive further inland, vary from 1 hr drive to more than 3 hrs drive.

But in saying that, the department of fisheries here stocks fish in lakes and reservoirs, including small 'family lakes'. If you haven't known that already, go check out VFA website, heaps of useful information there, from what and where to fish, to rules and regulations.

That silver hardbody lure looks great for Australian salmon, May to Aug is the best time to look for them.
That bottom one can be versatile for both fresh and salt in deeper water. I use it for flathead and juvenile snapper in salt to perch in fresh. And don't forget the humbe Aussie black bream.

I live in point cook, which is close to Altona. When you know exactly where you live, lets us know. I'm pretty sure you'll get a lot of help and info here.

Altona pier for a start, but it can be very crowded, especially in summer and school holiday. Kororoit creek and skeleton creek have carp.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

Kimtown
Has liked: 303 times

Post by Kimtown » Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:47 pm

Hey mate

Looks like you already got Aussie fishing lingo down… can’t be calling them poles!!

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:48 pm

:w: to the forum mate 😃

Vekta

Post by Vekta » Fri Jul 16, 2021 3:55 am

purple5ive wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:12 pm
Welcome Mate.
Depending on where you plan to take residence will depend on wethere you will be fishing salt water or fresh water systems.

Lure fishing is very popular here too, but varies a lot between salt water and fresh water fishing.

Blades, vibes, soft plastics, hardbodies all of them work well here too, and don't forget the squid fishing as well..

You rod is very unorthodox I must say, but I it works then so be it.
Yeah, that's kind of my main problem. :(

A lot of the freshwater fish I had the idea of targeting aren't really that close by. Redfin Perch was the main one since it's non-native and a decent table fish.

I have a lot of time to decide if I should start with that Shimano 8000 I already have (minus the rod) or invest in a decent 2-5 kg rod and 2500 set up. the 2500 would be a hell of a lot more mobile and easy to just grab'n'go. But to tell you the truth I almost never fish salt since I currently don't live near it to begin with. I used to run 10 lb braid + appropriate leader line so that's familiar... I just never used it for light inshore fishing.

The girl friend has already declared we will be driving to explore other places for those family outings so Werribee and Corangamite basin aren't out of the question.

The rod is a self-built rod designed specifically for fishing small creeks with overgrown banks. It's nick-named "the creek squatter" because sometimes you literally have to squat under overhanging trees. The rod blank is just a 31" ice rod blank on a "Tennessee handle" made out of a Nuun Sport drink tube. What makes it unique is it's 101mm Long x 26mm Diameter. There is no butt end to catch on my wrist when making tight casts and the thicker diameter keeps my fingers from going numb if I do one of my 4-6 hour non stop lure-throwing sessions.

31" rod
8 lb main line (Platypus Super-100... cuz Australia :tu: )
2000 size reel
Last edited by Vekta on Fri Jul 16, 2021 4:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Vekta

Post by Vekta » Fri Jul 16, 2021 4:04 am

Sebb wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:38 pm
Welcome to the forum.
Sounds like you already done your homework.

To me greater Melbourne fishery is mostly salt and estuary. The close by fresh water creeks and rivers contain mostly carp. For the trout and other fresh water species, you gotta drive further inland, vary from 1 hr drive to more than 3 hrs drive.

But in saying that, the department of fisheries here stocks fish in lakes and reservoirs, including small 'family lakes'. If you haven't known that already, go check out VFA website, heaps of useful information there, from what and where to fish, to rules and regulations.

That silver hardbody lure looks great for Australian salmon, May to Aug is the best time to look for them.
That bottom one can be versatile for both fresh and salt in deeper water. I use it for flathead and juvenile snapper in salt to perch in fresh. And don't forget the humbe Aussie black bream.

I live in point cook, which is close to Altona. When you know exactly where you live, lets us know. I'm pretty sure you'll get a lot of help and info here.

Altona pier for a start, but it can be very crowded, especially in summer and school holiday. Kororoit creek and skeleton creek have carp.
The Yo-zuri Pin's Minnow is only about 4 grams. I'm not sure how I'd get that thing far enough out unless I was on some kind of pier or rock wall. I can't imagine any set up I would throw that on would have the lifting power to get it up from the water without a super long net. :lo:

I'm not sure what other way you target salmon over there. I see a lot of videos of of people catching them off the beach using Salmon Darts though.

Sebb
Has liked: 2999 times

Post by Sebb » Fri Jul 16, 2021 9:05 am

Vekta wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 4:04 am
The Yo-zuri Pin's Minnow is only about 4 grams. I'm not sure how I'd get that thing far enough out unless I was on some kind of pier or rock wall. I can't imagine any set up I would throw that on would have the lifting power to get it up from the water without a super long net. :lo:

I'm not sure what other way you target salmon over there. I see a lot of videos of of people catching them off the beach using Salmon Darts though.
The salmon can be very close to piers and rockwalls. Soft plastic with 1/8 jighead also popular since it's versatile, to be in any depths. Zman slim swims and squidgy flickbait are two of my favorites.

A lot of people use metal slugs too, since they are heavy, so you can cast far and cover more area. Halco Twisty is my favourite.

2-4 kg rod (cast 2-12gm), 2500 reel, 10lb braid, can cover the bread and butter salt species, landbased.

Werribee river has some nice fish.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

e.welch
Has liked: 190 times

Post by e.welch » Fri Jul 16, 2021 9:34 am

Vekta wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 5:11 pm
Hello FVF,

I’m not new to fishing but I am new to Australian fish species. The pandemic canceled my long anticipated visit and kept the girl friend and I separated. It was suppose to be a short visit followed by a longer visit in the future. In the mean time I have been watching a lot of fishing videos on youtube and checking out the kind of gear that’s commonly used over there.

Here in California my favorite pass time is walking the local fresh water creek 10 minutes on foot from my house. I mainly target Large Mouth and Spotted Bass. Crappie, Bluegill, Green Sunfish and Hybrids are common. There are also Common Carp, Steelhead Trout and Salmon in my local creek.

I have a very specific way of fishing and have been doing a lot of research to see if I can replicate that minimalist style of fishing. I don’t plan on using the exact same set up I use here but something in the same theme would be nice. I often only take 1 tiny rod and a small pocket sized tackle box.(pictures attached) I’ve caught most of the fish in my creek with the same set up. (with the exception of Carp and Salmon)

I’m hoping to come up with a more suitable set up to fish both fresh and salt water around Altona (on foot) as well as all around Port Phillip Bay. (by car) I like to travel light and tend to favor lures with multi-species versatility. From what I have seen in videos a lot of the baits I already use are quite common over there as well. I have picked up blade baits to try after seeing them in Australian fishing videos. They tend to get overshadowed by whatever the hot new Bass fishing lure is.

1. Maintain the hobby. The girl friend is very much in favor of the hobby and the potential for family outings because of it. (To get the young one away from Roblox and Minecraft)

2. Fish for the table. Why not bring home some table fare while I’m out? I already have a brand new Shimano 8000 D Baitrunner just sitting on my shelf I plan to take with me and leave in Australia. So after I get the lighter set up sorted I can invest in a heavier rod for Snapper and Australian Salmon.

I joined the forum in the hopes of getting a more detailed point of view of what’s going on in Australian fisheries. Thank you for your time.
For saltwater it really depends on the time of year and where you are situated on the bay September - December is snapper season so you would target snapper and salmon February - may is whiting season and you would mainly target whiting and you might get the odd snapper or pinkie for whiting some good piers are Hastings st leonards Mornington and Portsea their my three favourite whiting spots for snapper I would recommend Mornington it’s my favourite spot for snapper otherwise most piers are pretty good squid are a good target year round they can be hard but when you get the hang of it it’s really easy I can’t help with fresh water but if you need anymore advice about salt or a certain fish I would be happy to help

Maybe for Australian bass try blue rock Damm theirs lots of them your main problem will be acces as it’s hard to fish their without a boat

Vekta

Post by Vekta » Fri Jul 16, 2021 9:53 am

e.welch wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 9:34 am
Vekta wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 5:11 pm
Hello FVF,

For saltwater it really depends on the time of year and where you are situated on the bay September - December is snapper season so you would target snapper and salmon February - may is whiting season and you would mainly target whiting and you might get the odd snapper or pinkie for whiting some good piers are Hastings st leonards Mornington and Portsea their my three favourite whiting spots for snapper I would recommend Mornington it’s my favourite spot for snapper otherwise most piers are pretty good squid are a good target year round they can be hard but when you get the hang of it it’s really easy I can’t help with fresh water but if you need anymore advice about salt or a certain fish I would be happy to help

Maybe for Australian bass try blue rock Damm theirs lots of them your main problem will be acces as it’s hard to fish their without a boat
For the most part I'll be limited to Altona Beach area as far as I can get on foot. The plan is to have a small pocket tackle box with a handful of lures and just take a walk. Whatever will bite a soft plastic, small blade bait, metal or hard body would be my game.I'd practice selective and sustainable harvesting depending on what I encounter.

I'm not too thrilled about the idea of going on crowded piers. Since I can't physically explore the area myself I've been scrolling over aerial view maps online. I found a few of these rock features that, if legal to fish off of, I hope would be less crowded and more my speed...

By the way everyone, thanks for reading through my wall of text. I'm getting a ton of info just from this thread.It confirms some of the ideas I already had.
Attachments
b19ebe99130b551b3b5d50406fbb590f.png

Return to “Introductions”