Rod Length for surf/rocks

Post your Victorian beach and surf fishing adventures here
Don Fisher
Has liked: 16 times

Rod Length for surf/rocks

Post by Don Fisher » Thu Aug 12, 2021 5:21 pm

Hi guys Ive only surf fished or fished from rocks along great ocean road a few times so not very experienced. I’ve got a couple of 12ft rods but found sometimes they are not even big enough to keep the line out of the swell when it’s rough. Do any of you guys recommend longer rods or do you think they are a pain in the ass and just fish when it’s calm?
This is for bait fishing. I have a 9 ft for spinning.

Seniorfisho
Has liked: 797 times

Re: Rod Length for surf/rocks

Post by Seniorfisho » Thu Aug 12, 2021 6:55 pm

Hey mate, I used to use a 15ft graphite Rod, it's a bit better for keeping the line above the swell. A bit of a warning, all the rocks along the GOR are wet, they can be very dangerous, especially at high tide. My advice is to fish the low tides along there, the last 2 hours of the run out tide and the first 2 hours of the run in tide produces just as many fish as high tide and it's so much safer while allowing you to get closer to deeper water. The beaches at Fairhaven and that general area all fish best at low tide as it allows to fish the drop off's, they are very shallow even at high tide but the all drop off to 4 or 5mtrs beyond the high tide breaks

Sebb
Has liked: 3001 times

Post by Sebb » Thu Aug 12, 2021 7:20 pm

In theory, the longer the better. But also means heavier, harder to cast. Some expensive rods are really good and light though.
The steel rod holder kinda sits a bit higher than the pvc pipe, gives extra height.

And yes, I personally won't fish if it's too rough. Check the swell height and offshore wind help.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

Don Fisher

Post by Don Fisher » Thu Aug 12, 2021 7:31 pm

Seniorfisho wrote:
Thu Aug 12, 2021 6:55 pm
Hey mate, I used to use a 15ft graphite Rod, it's a bit better for keeping the line above the swell. A bit of a warning, all the rocks along the GOR are wet, they can be very dangerous, especially at high tide. My advice is to fish the low tides along there, the last 2 hours of the run out tide and the first 2 hours of the run in tide produces just as many fish as high tide and it's so much safer while allowing you to get closer to deeper water. The beaches at Fairhaven and that general area all fish best at low tide as it allows to fish the drop off's, they are very shallow even at high tide but the all drop off to 4 or 5mtrs beyond the high tide breaks
Cheers mate. Yeah I was looking at 15ft, might just have to trial and error. Thanks for the info, I have rock boots. Makes sense about accessing deeper water with the low. Cheers

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Thu Aug 12, 2021 7:33 pm

A longer rod helps, as do breakaway sinkers that let you get the line nice and tight to keep it up out of the waves as much as possible. You do find that there's times when it is just too rough for fishing though.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Don Fisher

Post by Don Fisher » Thu Aug 12, 2021 7:35 pm

Sebb wrote:
Thu Aug 12, 2021 7:20 pm
In theory, the longer the better. But also means heavier, harder to cast. Some expensive rods are really good and light though.
The steel rod holder kinda sits a bit higher than the pvc pipe, gives extra height.

And yes, I personally won't fish if it's too rough. Check the swell height and offshore wind help.
Thank you mate. Maybe I should spend a bit more then. Was think a penn prevail. See how I go.
Yeah I’m all over it with offshore winds. I wouldn’t bother with southerlys.
Being regional I was able to go down there the last few days, was offshore, fairly calm last 2 days, but today the swell was 4 mts. Had 2 casts and bailed. Was too hard, not worth it.

Don Fisher

Post by Don Fisher » Thu Aug 12, 2021 7:38 pm

4liters wrote:
Thu Aug 12, 2021 7:33 pm
A longer rod helps, as do breakaway sinkers that let you get the line nice and tight to keep it up out of the waves as much as possible. You do find that there's times when it is just too rough for fishing though.
Thanks mate. It’s not an easy style of fishing.

JS270
Has liked: 1 time

Post by JS270 » Thu Aug 12, 2021 8:36 pm

Rod length for surf fishing is very subjective as it depends on a number of factors as the differences in rods at the longer lengths is quite wide. I use high end English and European rods for the majority of my surf fishing and find rod around the 13' to 14 foot length afford the most versatility along with user ease. Remember one thing when using the longer rods m slow down the cast and let the rod load fully into the butt section and you will get better distances with suitable leads.

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Fri Aug 13, 2021 11:37 am

If you're casting baits 12-14 is good. If you're livebaiting you can go as low at 8.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

Don Fisher

Post by Don Fisher » Sat Aug 14, 2021 6:52 pm

DougieK wrote:
Fri Aug 13, 2021 11:37 am
If you're casting baits 12-14 is good. If you're livebaiting you can go as low at 8.
Thanks mate. Appreciate it

Return to “Surf Fishing”