Surf Beach Fishing Lessons

Post your Victorian beach and surf fishing adventures here
hornet
Has liked: 123 times

Re: Surf Beach Fishing Lessons

Post by hornet » Wed Sep 09, 2020 1:39 pm

I'm tempted to start a new id with user name Mr. Miyagi before I add to the answers... :bn:
He who has the most fishing rods WINS ! :ts:

VooDoo
Has liked: 165 times

Post by VooDoo » Wed Sep 09, 2020 1:56 pm

hornet wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 1:39 pm
I'm tempted to start a new id with user name Mr. Miyagi before I add to the answers... :bn:
just not sure how "Wax On .. Wax Off" technique will assist with casting the lures either to the car park or into the water .. Please explain :)

"VooDoo .... WhoDoo .... YouDoo .... VooDoo" The Bug (Bugatti) S.A. [2019]

mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Post by mazman » Wed Sep 09, 2020 2:38 pm

This thread proves exactly the point Doug was making. He asked a few questions got a bit of advice on the gear to use and what to do and finished up heading out there and catching them. In the space of a few weeks he went from purchasing the rod to catching salmon off the beach.

For OP if you are looking for more specific advice naming a target species or if you don't have a species an area you plan to fish will help. Also, while the advice sounds dumb or disingenuous spinning for salmon off the beach is a fairly straight forward endeavour and not something I would particularly recommend a guide for.
In essence you slowly make your way along the beach casting a lure as far as you can and winding it back in quickly. When you catch when hang in that area for a bit and you'll probably catch more. I wouldn't worry about knowing how to read a beach (gutters/rips etc.) to start with you'll learn this as you go. Plus, for spinning it doesn't matter all that much because you'll be covering all the water anyway and salmon schools can pop up anywhere. There's plenty of advice on the gear you need for this style of fishing on the forum if it is something that interests you
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Wed Sep 09, 2020 3:17 pm

mazman wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 2:38 pm
This thread proves exactly the point Doug was making. He asked a few questions got a bit of advice on the gear to use and what to do and finished up heading out there and catching them. In the space of a few weeks he went from purchasing the rod to catching salmon off the beach.

For OP if you are looking for more specific advice naming a target species or if you don't have a species an area you plan to fish will help. Also, while the advice sounds dumb or disingenuous spinning for salmon off the beach is a fairly straight forward endeavour and not something I would particularly recommend a guide for.
In essence you slowly make your way along the beach casting a lure as far as you can and winding it back in quickly. When you catch when hang in that area for a bit and you'll probably catch more. I wouldn't worry about knowing how to read a beach (gutters/rips etc.) to start with you'll learn this as you go. Plus, for spinning it doesn't matter all that much because you'll be covering all the water anyway and salmon schools can pop up anywhere. There's plenty of advice on the gear you need for this style of fishing on the forum if it is something that interests you
People think we're joking when we say 'cast at the water and reel it in' when they ask us what we're doing. There is nuance, there is context, but ultimately walk up and down Gunnamatta from the carpark to the rocks on the far left, cast a shiny metal lure at the water and reel it in. If you hookup then cast until you stop hooking up, if you don't walk another 10m and cast again.

We prefer lures from 25-75g, rods about 9 foot long, 4000-5000 sized reels and 12-20lb tasline (or whatever braid). Single hooks instead of trebles will help you a great deal, as will experience in running fish up the beach.

The amount of fish you hook is directly proportionate to the amount of ground you cover, the number of casts you make and the amount of time your lure spends in the water. The guys who seem to be 'better' at salmon fishing are probably just spending more time doing it / doing it more efficiently. The skill cap is extremely low, but it's unbelievably good fun.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

Grasshopper67
Has liked: 2 times

Post by Grasshopper67 » Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:01 pm

Thanks for the advice. I have no idea what to target...salmon snapper would be cool...guess I’ll go to complete angler and ask them to fit me out with right gear then practice casting a lure walking on beach and see how I go...thanks to everyone !

happyfriggincamper
Has liked: 556 times

Post by happyfriggincamper » Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:19 am

Damn, was this the starting point of the journey from "trout guy" to LBG maniac?

DougieK

Post by DougieK » Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:01 am

happyfriggincamper wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:19 am
Damn, was this the starting point of the journey from "trout guy" to LBG maniac?
Pretty much. I took fishing back up at the very end of 2012 when I had a major back injury and thought I was done with the Martial Arts. Ended up fully recovering but meeting CarlG a couple of weeks after that post and then the MTF guys and Frank basically started the whole "Whats the hardest thing we can possibly do?" thing.

Two or three of the guys giving me advice in that thread ended up being my best friends in the world.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:24 am

Somehow i cannot imagine a tiny trout rod and reel in The bears hands!!! :-D

DougieK

Post by DougieK » Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:22 am

purple5ive wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:24 am
Can you imagine me ever sneaking up on anything?

LBG Season 2023/4 :

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:23 am

DougieK wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:22 am
purple5ive wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:24 am
Can you imagine me ever sneaking up on anything?
Blokes at Webb Dock
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Return to “Surf Fishing”