Post your Victorian beach and surf fishing adventures here
Fish-cador
Has liked: 10 times

Re: Surf rod recommendation

Post by Fish-cador » Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:16 am

Keenfisho wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:20 pm
Hey guys,

As the heading suggests I’m looking for surf rod recommendations. My old silstar 12ft is just not cutting the mustard anymore

My mate has a Daiwa 13ft sensor sandstorm which I like but i feel the but is just a bit long for me. I seen a shimano aerowave that I like the look of but the local store doesn’t have any in stock to have a feel does anyone have one of these that they could give me a recommendation on?

Looking for around 13-14tf and it will mainly be used of the 90 mile with a $250 budget.

Thanks gents
You find 13ft Daiwa a bit long ang you are looking for a 13 footer or 14 footer which, last time I checked is even longer.

I use 11ft Penn Prevail for LB fishing. I have 3 of them. Good rods except I hate the first guide which is as big as a basketball hoop.

Tackleberry
Has liked: 299 times

Post by Tackleberry » Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:41 pm

Fish-cador wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:16 am
Keenfisho wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:20 pm
Hey guys,

As the heading suggests I’m looking for surf rod recommendations. My old silstar 12ft is just not cutting the mustard anymore

My mate has a Daiwa 13ft sensor sandstorm which I like but i feel the but is just a bit long for me. I seen a shimano aerowave that I like the look of but the local store doesn’t have any in stock to have a feel does anyone have one of these that they could give me a recommendation on?

Looking for around 13-14tf and it will mainly be used of the 90 mile with a $250 budget.

Thanks gents
You find 13ft Daiwa a bit long ang you are looking for a 13 footer or 14 footer which, last time I checked is even longer.

I use 11ft Penn Prevail for LB fishing. I have 3 of them. Good rods except I hate the first guide which is as big as a basketball hoop.
He said the butt was to long not the rod
"When the people fear the Govn't, that is Tyrany, when the Govn't fear the people, that is Liberty"

Experience is what you get when **** happens

colnick
Has liked: 37 times

Post by colnick » Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:27 pm

I'm finding this an interesting thread. Because I come from mid north coast NSW my experience may not be relevant to Victorian surf situations but I'll make some comments for what they are worth.
I continue to fish the surf with a 10 foot rod self- made with a Sportex blank nearly 50 years ago. Its paired with a 650 Alvey red cedar spool sidecast.
I've caught hundreds of fish with this gear over the years. Mainly tailer and unwanted salmon but also big bream, flathead and some sollicking big mulloway during long moonlit nights. The rig is well balanced and a joy to use on long sessions. I have never felt that I needed a longer rod and I just shake my head when I read about 13 and 14 feet sticks
Having said that, I fish the gutters and rips and catch most of my fish relatively close to shore so I don't have to throw half way to New Zealand. Victoria may well be a different kettle of fish.
Compliments of the season, Col.

Keenfisho

Post by Keenfisho » Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:14 pm

I would happily fish a 10 foot rod off a bermagui beach all night long Col. But yes you are right Victoria is different and doesn’t have those nice flat deep beaches like nsw. I find the longer the road the easier you can keep your line out of the wash down here in vic. I like to sit and enjoy a beer without watching my rod tip bounce from the breakers all night long

colnick
Has liked: 37 times

Post by colnick » Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:16 am

Thanks for the response Keenfisho. Your explanation makes sense. I am a bit unusual in that with all of my fishing - boat or landbased - I rarely fish with more than one rod and always with rod in hand (no not that!), so I can better feel bites, weed, current, bottom etc and minimise wave affects to some degree.
Cheers, Col.

junior
Has liked: 58 times

Post by junior » Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:53 pm

Nude up wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 2:44 pm
I have two Timberwolf rods one 12 ft the other 13 ft all graphite I love them you can pick them up cheap when sales are on
Yeah I would have recommended a Timberwolf too - I think they're great. But where can you get them from these days?
Seems like they've dropped off the planet. Can't find their website and could only find 1 retailer online

junior

Post by junior » Fri Dec 13, 2019 9:03 pm

colnick wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:27 pm
I continue to fish the surf with a 10 foot rod self- made with a Sportex blank nearly 50 years ago.
I have never felt that I needed a longer rod and I just shake my head when I read about 13 and 14 feet sticks
Would agree if he was chasing tailor and salmon but he said he's chasing gummies, so I'd guess he wants to lash big baits out from the western port mud flats. I've tried with a shorter rod and didn't work out too well. Waded out for extra distance and ended up taking a swim. That mud will get ya :-D

Tackleberry
Has liked: 299 times

Post by Tackleberry » Sat Dec 14, 2019 3:13 am

Keenfisho wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:33 am
Yeah casting out baits for gummy’s Tackleberry
Sorry man but good luck finding a graphite fishing rod Good enough for gummy bashing I've been using S177 7W for more than 30 years and are yet to see a rod that can better them especially when a 4' + bronzey or school shark roll up and over the years most of the young blokes I have thought have all gone and sought one as well ......
"When the people fear the Govn't, that is Tyrany, when the Govn't fear the people, that is Liberty"

Experience is what you get when **** happens

junior

Post by junior » Tue Dec 17, 2019 3:00 pm

Depends where you're fishing I suppose? On the banks of western port, 12-13' graphite rods haven't been a problem (so far...).
Might be a different story on 90 mile beach or similar, with wire trace.

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Wed Dec 18, 2019 5:29 pm

Tackleberry wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 3:13 am
Sorry man but good luck finding a graphite fishing rod Good enough for gummy bashing

You've got to be kidding me.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

Return to “Surf Fishing”