Surf fishing, don't know anything about it!!

Post your Victorian beach and surf fishing adventures here
Mustang38
Has liked: 1 time

Surf fishing, don't know anything about it!!

Post by Mustang38 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:15 pm

So Guys,
I am gunna go surf fishing at merrimbula at Christmas time. I have no gear and need to get some. I now there will be some gun surf fishers out there. can you take a couple of minutes and pm me please. I need direction as I have to buy gear and in general I am starting from scratch as far as surf fishing goes. I hope this doesn't come across like I am a flog but I need help/ In the past the forum has always been really kind to me as I need a lot of direction.
Cheers in advance
Adrian

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Re: Surf fishing, don't know anything about it!!

Post by Lightningx » Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:24 pm

Are you planning on only bait fishing? Only lures or a bit of both mate?

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Post by bowl » Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:28 pm

Plenty of better surf fishos on here then me.
I use 12 feet penn prevail and daiwa sensor for bait fishing. Reel i use bait runners 5500 n 6500 penn fierce n old penn slammer..
If ya casting for salmon 9ft rod.
To many boats kayak, helicopter , catch a fish,catch a fish

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:10 pm

About a 12 foot 10kg med action rod with 6000 size reel for bait fishing with a about a 4 to 5 oz sinker and size 2 long shank hooks or 6 /0 circle for bigger fish/sharks

8 foot rod with 3000 reel for spinning slugs for salmon

KeenAds
Has liked: 23 times

Post by KeenAds » Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:01 pm

Hey Adrian if you are planning to bait fish get yourself a 12 foot combo don't go shorter than this. You should be able to pick one up from bcf or anaconda.

For a first timer I would use mono as its a bit more forgiving if the line slices your finger during casting. You will need a few different size star sinkers to suit the conditions and you will need to make up some two hook paternosta rigs or you can use a surf popper as well if you like.

Waders are optional, I prefer to use them especially in winter. You will also need a rod holder to keep your rod high off the sand and away from the waves. You can buy these or make some yourself with and pvc pipe you have at home.

If you have never surf fished maybe head down to the local park or footy oval and practice your technique to master the cast that you feel comfortable with. There are even a few youtube clips you can see.

Good luck.

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:58 pm

Mustang38 wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:15 pm

I hope this doesn't come across like I am a flog but I need help/ In the past the forum has always been really kind to me as I need a lot of direction.
Cheers in advance
Adrian
Hi Adrian

Not sure what a flog is but if it is a bad thing, you're definitely not one. I have read many of your posts (no, I'm not a stalker , , , , and I don't care what those 5 restraining orders say , , , , oups, 6 , , , , I forgot about Dame Helen Mirren) but yes, your posts are great and you're a good contributor. So the way I see it, your making a withdrawal on posts banked :-D

On the surf fishing:

I'm not an avid Surfo, I copy my mate Don (just a bit worse) who knows and keeps it "real" and simple.

But I ditto everything KeenAds says, especially about the mono if bait fishing. The star sinkers are the go. Those sinkers with the wire at the end to "anchor" in the sand are more trouble than they are worth. If you can't grab bottom with a heavy star sinker, then those wire ones aren't any better for just added trouble.

Also, something I found useful with bait fishing in the surf is when casting. Go from stationary to casting speed gradually, work the speed/whip of the cast gradually (well graduated to fast), that way your bait has the least disturbance , , , , instead of your sinker/rig going all the way out there and your Pillie going "plonk" 5 meters infront of you.

On the Rod Holder, they are a must. If you'd like to make your own, my advise a 40mm PVC tube slides into a 50mm PVC tube, so they can slide into each other for ease of storing and carrying. But obviously you's need a rod butt that fits in a 40mm tube (the 50 is no prob)

Check ou this thread on how to make and flare the end, makes it work well and look spiffy :-D

Flared end to a PVC Surf Rod Holder

viewtopic.php?f=109&t=22034&hilit=rod+h ... re#p288802

Oh, nearly forgot. Don and I use the Penn Spinfisher SSM Surf Rods & Reels. A bit large but robust. Maybe check out the 850 as a point of interest, for mono a wide spool with capacity helps

Bugatti wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:28 am
Those Penn Spinfisher SSM Combos are pretty decent for their price. They come with a variety of reel options. I went with the 950 SSM, but the 850 is great too. Mate Don followed suit too and got one AND he's a Surf Fisho , , , , and like me, on a Budget.

From memory they are about the $150 mark and we got ours on a little special for $129

If you look around, they are popular and would be able to find them on special quite regularly.

This is a Store in Adelaide
penn.PNG
penn.PNG (187.22 KiB) Viewed 4218 times

Cheers, The Budget Bugatti

On throwing slugs and lures , , , , I am great at throwing them back in the tacklebox :o_0: , so may have to listen to others about that style of fishing

Good luck, hope you catch heaps of fun , , , , and fish too

Cheers, Bugatti

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:15 pm

If you like casting lures/slugs I love my 9ft Catana rod mate. Both the old models and the new ones are great. Last time I was up there with the missus we had an absolute blast casting 40g Halco twisties and streaker metal lures and caught heaps of tailor and salmon.
Both the chrome and gold ones worked :)
Cheers :thumbsup:

Mustang38

Post by Mustang38 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:31 am

Hi guys, thanks for all the tips. I think I will wait for sales coming up at all the tech stores and see what’s on offer equipment wise. I will be bait fishing but also want a set up for casting lures etc. fishing the merrimbula area at Christmas is the plan. Thanks for good once againp

AE092
Has liked: 5 times

Post by AE092 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:14 pm

Keep an eye out on Gumtree - I picked up a mega bargain for a 9ft combo along with plastics the seller was no using.

Mustang38

Post by Mustang38 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:33 am

Gumtree. Never thought of that great tip thank you

Return to “Surf Fishing”