Snapper off the surf

Post your Victorian beach and surf fishing adventures here
Raulfc7
Has liked: 21 times

Re: Snapper off the surf

Post by Raulfc7 » Thu Jun 09, 2016 12:30 pm

I've read here that Abz has caught snapper off the surf, that shouldn't surprise anyone he has caught most things :nicefish!:
"Do good when you remember, and what you forget will be revealed to you; and do not surrender your mind to blind forgetfulness."

hornet
Has liked: 123 times

Post by hornet » Thu Jun 09, 2016 1:44 pm

Artillery rocks would be my selection if I we're after one, well it's almost like surf ? ...
He who has the most fishing rods WINS ! :ts:

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Thu Jun 09, 2016 1:55 pm

hornet wrote:Artillery rocks would be my selection if I we're after one, well it's almost like surf ? ...
Funny you mentioned that mate. I will be fishing from there next weekend :thumbsup:

hornet
Has liked: 123 times

Post by hornet » Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:23 pm

Lightningx wrote:
hornet wrote:Artillery rocks would be my selection if I we're after one, well it's almost like surf ? ...
Funny you mentioned that mate. I will be fishing from there next weekend :thumbsup:
I hope you get the right weather, if you do you should do well, take a good mix of baits, there's everything from whiting to snapper to sharks down there ! ....
He who has the most fishing rods WINS ! :ts:

Brett
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Brett » Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:39 pm

DougieK wrote:I've never seen or heard of one at Gunnamatta.
I have :thumbsup: pretty damn rare occurrence though.

A lot of the Western Port beaches will give you a good chance of hooking one, but as said before, they aren't really surf beaches.

They also have some success on the 90 mile.

drewb

Post by drewb » Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:55 pm

Most of the areas mentioned (ie Breamlea, 13th, Portsea, Lorne) all have areas of reef associated with the surf zone. So while you may be able to target Snapper in those areas, they probably are resident fish of the nearby reefs.

I guess the theory is if you're going to target the surf, looking at areas adjacent to reefs would be a good starting point.

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin

Post by Lightningx » Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:10 pm

hornet wrote:
Lightningx wrote:
I hope you get the right weather, if you do you should do well, take a good mix of baits, there's everything from whiting to snapper to sharks down there ! ....
Yea will be taking baits and some lures as well :)
My missus wants to get onto some of the bigger sambos. She's caught enough of the bay trouts :rofl:

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:15 pm

drewb wrote:Most of the areas mentioned (ie Breamlea, 13th, Portsea, Lorne) all have areas of reef associated with the surf zone. So while you may be able to target Snapper in those areas, they probably are resident fish of the nearby reefs.

I guess the theory is if you're going to target the surf, looking at areas adjacent to reefs would be a good starting point.
Are the reefs the reason those areas have a reputation for the occasional mulloway while beaches like gunnamatta don't?
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Post by mazman » Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:25 pm

4liters wrote:
drewb wrote:Most of the areas mentioned (ie Breamlea, 13th, Portsea, Lorne) all have areas of reef associated with the surf zone. So while you may be able to target Snapper in those areas, they probably are resident fish of the nearby reefs.

Are the reefs the reason those areas have a reputation for the occasional mulloway while beaches like gunnamatta don't?
I've always thought it was the proximity of rivers or estuarine systems
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin

Post by Lightningx » Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:54 pm

Brett wrote:
DougieK wrote:I've never seen or heard of one at Gunnamatta.
I have :thumbsup: pretty damn rare occurrence though.

A lot of the Western Port beaches will give you a good chance of hooking one, but as said before, they aren't really surf beaches.

They also have some success on the 90 mile.
I have as well :-D Not big snappers but nice size pinkies they looked around 40-45 cm.

Return to “Surf Fishing”