beer batter

How to prepare and cook your catch.
Tomcat1

beer batter

Post by Tomcat1 » Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:44 pm

i cooked up the pinkies and king george i caught last night in beer batter. just some cheap beer rolled the fish in plain flour spiced with a lil cajun spice and garlic salt.then dipped in the batter made with the cheap beer and self raising flour also spiced up a bit with garlic salt and cajun spice. tasted beautiful. there is one of my neighbors that i a elderly lady. every time i cook my beer battered fish i bring her some. she always loves it. i also change up the batter sometimes and use a mix of corn meal and self raising flour. gives it a bit of a different flavor. also tastes really good.

shazzagraz

Re: beer batter

Post by shazzagraz » Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:51 pm

Sounds fantastic. Maybe I should've kept some of the flathead we caught this morning and tried that recipe. Next time for sure.

ratbag

Post by ratbag » Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:09 pm

I'll give it go Tom, txs.

I use beer & 1 egg beaten together, then add the flour slowly stirring in 2/3 plain & 1/3 sr with some dried lemon myrtle. Open a 2nd beer to drink and use some to keep thin the batter if required.
quid est quod eum

rixter

Post by rixter » Sun Sep 22, 2013 2:57 am

Sounds yum , I love my beer batter.

Another 'concoction' I came up with a while back, and I still use it to this day a lot of the time.....

Use it with fish , or any meat dish really , nice on chicken and steak also.

This is a 'sort of' killPatric method :lol: . Comes out with a thickish creamy sauce and sure to tickle your taste buds !. You could probably cook a carp in this and it would taste good , although just the though of carp in a dish is :puke: ... anyway...

For starters , this dish uses a lot of cream and a bit of mustard. I hate cream and mustard usually , but this tastes nothing like cream or mustard by the time its done. So don't be turned off if you don't like either usually. If you like Worcestershire sauce then you will probably love this dish/recipe.

My Recipe :.... This is enough for 2 dishes , double it up for 4 dishes and so on.......

Ingredients needed:

Extra Virgin olive oil
1 medium size brown onion
1 teaspoon of Mustard powder
50ml of normal thickened cream
3 bacon strips
3 to 5 tablespoons of Worcestershire sauce ( depending on your taste , add more as it cooks and taste test to your liking)

Method:

Start cooking your fish/chicken/red meat on a low heat in a frypan with 3 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil, cook until nearly 50% done to your liking.
While this is cooking, dice the bacon and onion into small dice size pieces.
When the 'meat' is looking around 50% cooked , add 2 tablespoons of Worcestershire sauce.
Keep cooking the meat on a medium heat in the Worcestershire sauce and oil until your meat is around 75% done to your liking.

At this point , add the diced onion and bacon, keep this simmering until the bacon and onion are looking cooked. The onion will just about to start breaking down and caramelise when about ready for the next step.

Now add 50ml of the normal thickened cream, also add the 1 tea spoon of Mustard powder, you may like a little more / taste test when nearly done , and add more if you like . Also add another 1 to 3 tablespoons of Worcestershire sauce again. This again comes down to your taste liking , I go the whole full 3 tablespoons again.

Mix it all around on a simmer for a few minutes until you have a nice thick creamy sauce consistency. 5 minutes simmer should see the cream and everything cooked hot enough to eat.

This is a true favourite of mine, and I ruined many dishes in the past trying to get this right. I had something like this in the past at a restaurant , it was my favourite dish. Although time passed and a new cook came along, and the dish went away. I can honestly say that this is my own recipe and took me a while to make it a top flavour dish and try to replicate what I used to get, and everyone I have served it too has been gob smacked with the taste :-D

If you get the consistency right with the Mustard / Cream and Worcestershire sauce, it should almost have the look and colour of a thin satay sauce (without the peanut chunks ! :lol: , but being onion and bacon chunks instead).

I hope you enjoy it too !!!

Cheers , Rick.
Here Fishy Fishy Image
Patience Young Grasshopper.

nickb123

Post by nickb123 » Sun Sep 22, 2013 1:59 pm

2 cups of self raising flour 1 egg and a stubbie of beer is all i use whisk it all together then pat the fish in plain flour then the batter and shallow fry it best beer batter i've had :-)
Cheers Nick

Return to “Fish Recipes and Preparation”