Fri Sep 16, 2022 9:04 pm
Kimtown wrote:
Fri Sep 16, 2022 6:01 pm
Lightningx wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 6:29 pm
Fresh flake- fish and chips.
Can’t go wrong.
Cheers 👍🏻
I always freeze my flake before eating. Just one night is all it needs. It just tastes better that way imo
You're rupturing the cell walls when you crystallise the fluid within, which then drains away as it thaws. Might be some residual urea which will come off as an ammonia taste you don't like or something. How do you go with larger sharks without freezing?
Yeah it just tastes cleaner overall after freezing shark. I’d never eat large shark without freezing it overnight I don’t think. I do think it gets rid of a bit of the ammonia taste for sure

Maybe that’s just me though

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Re: how to cook gummy shark / flake

Post by cobby » Sat Sep 17, 2022 5:25 pm

Kimtown wrote:
Sat Sep 17, 2022 7:09 am
cobby wrote:
Fri Sep 16, 2022 9:04 pm
Kimtown wrote:
Fri Sep 16, 2022 6:01 pm
Lightningx wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 6:29 pm
Fresh flake- fish and chips.
Can’t go wrong.
Cheers 👍🏻
I always freeze my flake before eating. Just one night is all it needs. It just tastes better that way imo
You're rupturing the cell walls when you crystallise the fluid within, which then drains away as it thaws. Might be some residual urea which will come off as an ammonia taste you don't like or something. How do you go with larger sharks without freezing?
Yeah it just tastes cleaner overall after freezing shark. I’d never eat large shark without freezing it overnight I don’t think. I do think it gets rid of a bit of the ammonia taste for sure

Maybe that’s just me though
Blood flows 1 way and then is reabsorbed into the body as urea. Next one you catch do an experiment, cut it at the base of the tail as deep as the backbone on each side when you bleed it. Don't treat it any different otherwise. Have some that same night fresh, leave some covered on a cake cooling rack with a tray underneath in the fridge for 24-48 hours before eating, and freeze the rest as normal then compare the 3. Draining or freezing makes smaller second rate sharks like Blues and 7 Gillers much better eating though

Return to “Fish Recipes and Preparation”