THE FISH SPECIES YOU LEAST LIKE TO EAT

How to prepare and cook your catch.
Paulanderson
Has liked: 60 times

THE FISH SPECIES YOU LEAST LIKE TO EAT

Post by Paulanderson » Fri Jul 16, 2021 7:58 pm

At this time of few fishing reports something to comment on!

My general philosophy is that almost all fish species, both salt and fresh water, are quite edible if from hook to the flying pan. For me two of the worst fish to eat are Blue Shark and Wrasse (parrot fish). I know that in Chinese restaurants people pay a lot for live wrasse so there must be a way to cook them so they are not soft and mushy. As for Blue Sharks, they are far better off swimming around in the ocean!

Paul

Kimtown
Has liked: 303 times

Re: THE FISH SPECIES YOU LEAST LIKE TO EAT

Post by Kimtown » Fri Jul 16, 2021 9:20 pm

Paulanderson wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 7:58 pm
At this time of few fishing reports something to comment on!

My general philosophy is that almost all fish species, both salt and fresh water, are quite edible if from hook to the flying pan. For me two of the worst fish to eat are Blue Shark and Wrasse (parrot fish). I know that in Chinese restaurants people pay a lot for live wrasse so there must be a way to cook them so they are not soft and mushy. As for Blue Sharks, they are far better off swimming around in the ocean!

Paul
I’ve never eaten either, as I’m quite fussy when it comes to seafood, but I’m surprised you mentioned Wrasse. I mean I know they’re junk - even without ever trying them - but usually most people will put on a brave face and say they’re okay lol.

It also confuses me how Blue sharks taste so bad. They have a very similar lifestyle and diet to other tasty sharks like Bronzies, Schoolies and Makos yet apparently taste horrible. And I can’t see how or why. Meanwhile, a lot of people rate the taste of bottom dwelling sharks. like banjos.

fishingvic
Site Admin
Site Admin
Has liked: 386 times

Post by fishingvic » Fri Jul 16, 2021 11:15 pm

Never been a huge fan of Anchovies even on pizza!
Fishing Victoria Admin
http://www.fishing-victoria.com
Fishing Victoria - Forums for fishing and angling in Victoria, Australia.

Texas
Has liked: 221 times

Post by Texas » Fri Jul 16, 2021 11:28 pm

Caught a 4ft & fat saltwater eel at Bemm River
I've had freshwater eels and they're ok, so how bad could it be ???
Pretty bad in fact
Gra
P.s. No the cat wouldn't eat it either

Tim399
Has liked: 252 times

Post by Tim399 » Sat Jul 17, 2021 9:34 am

Of all the fish I’ve eaten, Dusky morwong takes top prize for me. In saying that, I’m no top notch chef, so it could be the way I prepared it that let the fish down.

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Sat Jul 17, 2021 10:03 am

Blues you have to basically dry them out. Place the fillet on a cake stand in the fridge for 3 days before cooking and toss out all the liquid that comes out. They're 100 times better eating that way, but still well down the order. 7 gillers are also much better after drying out.

Snapper. Tried them every which way, boiled, poached, skin on, skin off, baked, fried, bite sized seasoned pieces, raw, whole, filleted, small fish, big fish etc etc and no matter what I struggle getting through 100gm of it. I'd honestly eat a Blue shark after drying it out rather than a Snapper of any size

Sebb
Has liked: 3011 times

Post by Sebb » Sat Jul 17, 2021 10:37 am

Defrosted aussie salmon/tailor.
🤮

Caught them, didn't have time to cook and eat fresh, so I put them in the freezer. Defrosted and cooked few days later. Was horrible...

Gotta eat them fresh, or they're bait/burley, or release.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Sat Jul 17, 2021 11:50 am

Salmon more than a day after catching them are putrid.

Never actually eaten carp but the smell when I was chopping one up for burley was enough to tell me that it was not something I ever wanted to put in my mouth.

Longfin pike lived up to its nickname of stinky pike.

I speared a bunch of flounder a while back and they all had a very weedy taste which was not very pleasant.

A few people have mentioned wrasse, I thought it was quite good if steamed but it went very mushy when fried. The females had a kind of weedy taste so I only keep a male one to cook that night if I get onto them.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Sat Jul 17, 2021 1:18 pm

cobby wrote:
Sat Jul 17, 2021 10:03 am
Blues you have to basically dry them out. Place the fillet on a cake stand in the fridge for 3 days before cooking and toss out all the liquid that comes out. They're 100 times better eating that way, but still well down the order. 7 gillers are also much better after drying out.

Snapper. Tried them every which way, boiled, poached, skin on, skin off, baked, fried, bite sized seasoned pieces, raw, whole, filleted, small fish, big fish etc etc and no matter what I struggle getting through 100gm of it. I'd honestly eat a Blue shark after drying it out rather than a Snapper of any size
Try smoked snapper mate. It’s about the only good way to eat it imo.

Wrasse is pretty crappy. Tried em a few ways and it’s just rubbish. Should probably try steamed

Yellowbelly is rubbish. Just fatty and ****. Never tried cod

Agreed re: flounder. Weedy and rubbish tasting. Nothing like the sole/flounder I’ve had in restaurants. Probably my fault.

Ate some Mulloway during the week and it was ok but didn’t live up to expectations. I’ve put it down to not trimming the bloodline enough. Looking forward to the next lot.

Banjo is surprisingly enjoyable. Just need to murk a big one to get a big enough fillet off.

e.welch
Has liked: 190 times

Post by e.welch » Sat Jul 17, 2021 1:40 pm

Big Murray cod are meant to taste like mud apparently according to one of my friends but I’m definitely with fishing box anchovies are definitely my least favorite

Return to “Fish Recipes and Preparation”