Re: Best fish to eat?

Post by Bugatti » Sun May 10, 2020 2:04 pm

denis barden wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 11:44 am
KG Whiting
Gar
Squid
I'm with denis :tu:

Gar are the best, very unique flavour AND just absolute fun to spend some time catching those miniature Marlins.
Squid, well that goes without saying , , , , mmmmm
And Whiting are the foremost in "plate-able" fish. Great mild flavour, take to any seasoning without overpowering the fish and great portion size.

colnick wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 1:54 pm

Very much a matter of personal taste , , , , leatherjacket
My only addition would be Leatherjackets BUT the ones with the blue flesh, not the white or orange fleshed ones.

Seniorfisho wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 12:11 pm
Coral Trout
Coral Trout are the only vacancy on my list, yet to try Coral Trout but definitely going to try it one day, I have heard great things about Coral Trout as munchies :-D

Cheers, Bugs

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Sun May 10, 2020 2:28 pm

Seb85 wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 12:41 pm

I found bream flesh is too soft. Breaks apart easily. I think the only way to eat bream is steamed, to enjoy the soft flesh. Frying bream can be a disaster.
I love Bream on the Charcoal. Cooked whole, scales on, just gutted. The scales on acts as a natural alfoil and it keeps the moisture in and cooks/steams the flesh , , , , mmmmm

Just a pain in the rrrrr's to eat

Seb85 wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 12:41 pm

I just love seafood, there's too many to mention.

This makes me hungry.

Same here Seb. We were brought up with all types of Seafood and we appreciated it all for the variety of flavours they are.

Well with the exception of Sea Urchins , , , , and Sea Snails

Sea Urchin.JPG

Sea Snails.JPG

A bit of a story , , , , when I was a Kid, Huckelberry-hounding about. On Coastal Camping Holidays with other families, I would collect bait for our fishing escapades. From Adelaide , , , , Worms, Clickers, small Crabs and some bought baits. PLUS locally found bait from the holiday location too.

Once, after collecting some locally found "bait" for the first time and leaving it in a bucket under the Tent Annex in the shade, I went for a swim. When I got back , , , , bait was gone. When I asked where was the bait , , , , no-one knew. But they all asked where I got the "stuff" that I had in that bucket. I said that's my bait , , , , they dutifully informed me that Abalone, Scallops and Sea Snails are food not bait and a delicacy at that, which we had for lunch, with some squid & fish we also caught. I knew that BUT as there was heaps where I got them from, I thought a few for bait was going to be ok.

Well, my job every morning, after that, was to get our camps daily supply of Abalone, Scallops and Sea Snails (and a hidden little stash for bait for me too :-D )

Cheers, Bugs

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Sun May 10, 2020 3:31 pm

Locally caught for me would be:
King George whiting
Garfish
Fresh squid 😃

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Sun May 10, 2020 4:03 pm

Too many to list and I have probably forgotten half of them we love eating seafood
Prawns
Scallops
Oysters
Pippies
Muscles
Crabs
Crayfish
Yabbies
Red Emper
Ranking Cod
Coral Trout
Morwong
Nannygai
Flathead
Snapper
Squid
SBT
KGW
Leatherjacket

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Sun May 10, 2020 4:59 pm

The monstrous green tiger prawns would have to be first on my list.

Spanish mackerel
Whiting
Mud crabs
Kingfish
SBT

Aaron75
Has liked: 68 times

Post by Aaron75 » Sun May 10, 2020 5:51 pm

Local - Squid, Leatherjacket, Flathead, Red Mullet

From elsewhere - Blue Cod, Orange Roughy, Pink Salmon, Sole

Shellfish - NZ Oysters, Paua, Scallops

Fishbref
Has liked: 41 times

Post by Fishbref » Sun May 10, 2020 7:03 pm

Gotta be fresh, for starters, but my top three fish are mulloway, KGW, garfish, kingfish, blue eye trevalla (don't mind warehou/snotty trevally either), flathead, gurnard, sand whiting and coral trout, with flounder floundering in at a close fourth.

Haven't tried Patagonian Toothfish yet; love to give that and halibut a crack sometime.

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Sun May 10, 2020 8:01 pm

Fishbref wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 7:03 pm
Gotta be fresh, for starters, but my top three fish are mulloway, KGW, garfish, kingfish, blue eye trevalla (don't mind warehou/snotty trevally either), flathead, gurnard, sand whiting and coral trout, with flounder floundering in at a close fourth.

Haven't tried Patagonian Toothfish yet; love to give that and halibut a crack sometime.

Fishbref, I love the way you count , , , , you would definitely get mileage from any Genie and the three wishes he gave you :-D

3 wishes.JPG

Cheers, Geniegatti

Andrews
Has liked: 265 times

Post by Andrews » Sun May 10, 2020 8:21 pm

Favourites have to be fresh calamari, king george whiting, flathead, garfish and leatherjackets.

Underated fish in my opinion are the yellowtal scad, slimey mackerel and Australian herring. Mackerel and herring are a strong tasting fish, but no less delicious when prepared right.

Robbie1950
Has liked: 213 times

Post by Robbie1950 » Mon May 11, 2020 7:28 am

GARS GARS GARS GARS

Return to “Fish Recipes and Preparation”