Best fish to eat?

How to prepare and cook your catch.
Texas
Has liked: 221 times

Re: Best fish to eat?

Post by Texas » Fri May 29, 2020 1:11 pm

e.welch wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 11:33 am
As I grew up in Queensland I ate fresh reef fish a lot some of my favs are red emperor spangled emperor coral trout mangrove jack rock cod giant Greg’s and last but not least is sweetlip I have tried very few Victorian fish but I only like flatties in vic
The local fish and chip shop started selling red emperor, very nice and plenty of flesh
Gra

CarlG
Has liked: 1 time

Post by CarlG » Fri May 29, 2020 4:17 pm

John Dory- simply fantastic.
Kingfish -Sashimi or fried, bloody awesome.
King George whiting.
Flatty
Garfish-bizarrely, best sashimi I've tried.

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Fri May 29, 2020 5:43 pm

I like to go to Rubiras on swallows In port Melbourne they specalise in seafood And try different fish no sauce just butter so I can compare them my favourite is coral trout.

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Fri May 29, 2020 6:36 pm

Nude up wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 5:43 pm
I like to go to Rubiras on swallows In port Melbourne they specalise in seafood And try different fish no sauce just butter so I can compare them my favourite is coral trout.
Carl, I find some people and restaurants (the odd time I eat out) that fish are "over-seasoned" with this or that flavouring which lessens the taste and flavour of the actual fish.

Coral Trout is a fish I would like to try and heard so much about it. How would you describe it?

The same thing is done with meats and poultry, especially Beef and Pork. Done right (with the right cuts) the real flavours of the meat/flesh can be amazing.

Cheers, Bugs

e.welch
Has liked: 190 times

Post by e.welch » Fri May 29, 2020 6:57 pm

Texas wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 1:11 pm
e.welch wrote:
As I grew up in Queensland I ate fresh reef fish a lot some of my favs are red emperor spangled emperor coral trout mangrove jack rock cod giant Greg’s and last but not least is sweetlip I have tried very few Victorian fish but I only like flatties in vic
The local fish and chip shop started selling red emperor, very nice and plenty of flesh
Gra
Which fish and chips shop mate will have to go there sometime

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Fri May 29, 2020 10:47 pm

Bugatti wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 6:36 pm
Nude up wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 5:43 pm
Carl, I find some people and restaurants (the odd time I eat out) that fish are "over-seasoned" with this or that flavouring which lessens the taste and flavour of the actual fish.

Coral Trout is a fish I would like to try and heard so much about it. How would you describe it?

The same thing is done with meats and poultry, especially Beef and Pork. Done right (with the right cuts) the real flavours of the meat/flesh can be amazing.

Cheers, Bugs
Sweet firm white flesh. I also liked tassie trumpeter but you can’t beat flathead

Texas
Has liked: 221 times

Post by Texas » Sat May 30, 2020 12:32 am

e.welch wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 6:57 pm
Texas wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 1:11 pm
e.welch wrote:
Gra
Which fish and chips shop mate will have to go there sometime
It's in Hoppers Crossing, but, the fish has decreased in size & flavour
I don't go there anymore
Gra

e.welch
Has liked: 190 times

Post by e.welch » Sat May 30, 2020 7:10 am

It’s a rarity to find somewhere that sells it my local fish monger sometimes has it but it 50 dollars a kilo of fillets it’s really expensive when we go to visit family we normally get some fish and take it back with us

fishnut
Has liked: 28 times

Post by fishnut » Sat May 30, 2020 7:53 am

SteveoTheTiger wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 11:09 am
We've seen the worst.. how about the best?

We are extremely lucky that we can walk out the door and target KGW, Flathead and Squid without even needing a boat. IMO three of the best eating fish in the sea.

However the best of the best for me is Patagonian Toothfish (aka Chillian Sea Bass). We use it at work from time to time and this really is the type of fish that all you need to do is cook it with a little sea salt. No need for heavy sauces and flavours or a special method of cooking. But at about $100 a kilo ($350+ a fillet) you would hope it would be good.

Add garfish to that

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Sat May 30, 2020 10:32 am

Nude up wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 10:47 pm
Bugatti wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 6:36 pm

Cheers, Bugs
Sweet firm white flesh. I also liked tassie trumpeter but you can’t beat flathead

Thanks Nude up, that sounds very nice :tu:

Nice to see it is a firm "sweet flesh". Most white sweet fleshed fish I have come across (and liked) are a softer flesh and thus less "usagle" preparing and use in a dish .

Cheers, Bugs , , , , tough old flesh :(

Return to “Fish Recipes and Preparation”