Robbie1950
Has liked: 213 times

Re: WHAT ARE THE WORST FISH TO EAT?

Post by Robbie1950 » Sun May 10, 2020 8:31 am

Fishbref wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 7:48 am
Andrews wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 7:32 pm
I don’t mind Australian Salmon, Trevelly, always remove the blood line and cook with aromatics and herbs. Yakka can be really nice, but often overlooked similar to other species in the mackeral and herring families.

I wouldn’t do butterfish or wrasse, I’m not that hungry.
Bloke at work swears by wrasse, but it must be steamed. He has it Korean style, on a bed of rice with some ginger/shallot/soy sauce sautee, reckons it's premium tucker in Asian restaurants; flesh stays nice and firm.

I'm yet to give it a crack next time I accidentally snare a decent specimen.

IMO the reality is if you need to cover a fish in ginger, shallot and soy sauce to make it taste good it must be shite in the first place! :vy:

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Sun May 10, 2020 9:28 am

Fishbref wrote:
Andrews wrote:
I don’t mind Australian Salmon, Trevelly, always remove the blood line and cook with aromatics and herbs. Yakka can be really nice, but often overlooked similar to other species in the mackeral and herring families.

Bloke at work swears by wrasse, but it must be steamed. He has it Korean style, on a bed of rice with some ginger/shallot/soy sauce sautee, reckons it's premium tucker in Asian restaurants; flesh stays nice and firm.

Yeah give this a go, get a nice big male one (the ones with the blue throat). I tried them fried and they just went all soft and mushy, but steaming really firms them up nicely. They taste fairly mild, nothing you really need to smother with spices to make edible. The main reason to use a lot of ginger, chili and soy sauce is because steamed fish and rice kind of lends itself to that sort of flavouring.

To give you an idea of how highly regarded they are, there's actually a small fishery here where they trap them and fly them live to markets in asia.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

fishnut
Has liked: 28 times

Post by fishnut » Sun May 10, 2020 9:38 am

The elephant fish from westernport very mushy and watery

4liters

Post by 4liters » Sun May 10, 2020 10:29 am

fishnut wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 9:38 am
I found the same thing. I'd heard people saying how good they were and kept one but it was pretty bad.

I'm wondering if the people who compare them to gummy are just so bad at cooking everything ends up tasting the same
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm

re-tyred
Has liked: 372 times

Post by re-tyred » Sun May 10, 2020 10:44 am

4liters wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 9:28 am
Fishbref wrote:
Andrews wrote:

Yeah give this a go, get a nice big male one (the ones with the blue throat). I tried them fried and they just went all soft and mushy, but steaming really firms them up nicely. They taste fairly mild, nothing you really need to smother with spices to make edible. The main reason to use a lot of ginger, chili and soy sauce is because steamed fish and rice kind of lends itself to that sort of flavouring.

To give you an idea of how highly regarded they are, there's actually a small fishery here where they trap them and fly them live to markets in asia.
Maybe carp is as good :gj:
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Sun May 10, 2020 11:15 am

Bugatti wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 2:06 am
It's not a fish , , , , and a delicacy to so many BUT to me, Sea Urchins have the texture and taste of salty fish snot :o_0:

I've tried them a zillion ways , , , , well a few ways, but I have to say that a squirt of Lemon Juice helps explain the face you pull when eating them.

My Parents love them

Sea Urchin.JPG

Cheers, Bugs
I’m with you on this one MrB! It’s one of those things I have tried many times and yet I really never enjoy it!

hornet
Has liked: 123 times

Post by hornet » Sun May 10, 2020 3:03 pm

My two on the hit list is carp and wrasse, actually if wrasse was just a little firmer in the flesh it may be passable ?
He who has the most fishing rods WINS ! :ts:

Snapper Snatcher
Has liked: 3 times

Post by Snapper Snatcher » Mon May 11, 2020 9:15 am

4liters wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 10:29 am
fishnut wrote:
I found the same thing. I'd heard people saying how good they were and kept one but it was pretty bad.

I'm wondering if the people who compare them to gummy are just so bad at cooking everything ends up tasting the same
Have you tried it after it’s been frozen for a week or two or only fresh?
Freezing and then defrosting sharks/elephants usually gets rid of most of the water.
Fishing Victoria Species Comp:

4liters

Post by 4liters » Mon May 11, 2020 9:18 am

Snapper Snatcher wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 9:15 am
4liters wrote:
fishnut wrote:

Freezing and then defrosting sharks/elephants usually gets rid of most of the water.
Yeah I'm pretty sure I had one fillet fresh and vac sealed the other. It had a bit of a funny taste too.

fishnut
Has liked: 28 times

Post by fishnut » Mon May 11, 2020 11:00 am

Snapper Snatcher wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 9:15 am
4liters wrote:
fishnut wrote:

Nah not any better after freezing so only catch and release,good fun on whiting gear for kids and when taking someone who is not into fishing

Return to “Fish Recipes and Preparation”