WHAT ARE THE WORST FISH TO EAT?

How to prepare and cook your catch.
Paulanderson
Has liked: 60 times

WHAT ARE THE WORST FISH TO EAT?

Post by Paulanderson » Fri May 08, 2020 10:06 pm

Another locked away topic!

In my experience just about any fish that is freshly caught and looked after properly ends up ok in the frying pan. I will kick this off with my Number One fish to avoid eating: Blue Shark - while just about the easiest shark to catch even when very fresh has soft mushy ammonia-laden flesh that we tried once and never again!

Other ideas?

Paul

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Re: WHAT ARE THE WORST FISH TO EAT?

Post by 4liters » Fri May 08, 2020 10:30 pm

Toadies...
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Gultch78
Has liked: 312 times

Post by Gultch78 » Fri May 08, 2020 11:00 pm

End of hot summer day warm baitboard pilchards
I was a premium member before it was cool #aheadofthepack

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Fri May 08, 2020 11:40 pm

Draughtboard sharks alias swell sharks blunt 4 knives for no meat

Irishfisherman
Has liked: 237 times

Post by Irishfisherman » Sat May 09, 2020 12:53 am

I once tried dogfish back in Ireland, they’re sort of look like draughtboard sharks and they taste awful, sort of an ammonia taste. Also tried carp a few times and it tastes strange and the texture is soft and unpleasant, and snapper over 4-5kg aren’t very nice unless you put some effort into them. I’m interested to hear if anyone has tried sergeant baker, I’ve heard on fishing shows that they don’t taste great but I don’t see why.

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Sat May 09, 2020 2:06 am

It's not a fish , , , , and a delicacy to so many BUT to me, Sea Urchins have the texture and taste of salty fish snot :o_0:

I've tried them a zillion ways , , , , well a few ways, but I have to say that a squirt of Lemon Juice helps explain the face you pull when eating them.

My Parents love them

Sea Urchin.JPG

Cheers, Bugs

gregmaka
Has liked: 97 times

Post by gregmaka » Sat May 09, 2020 6:08 am

Basa that you buy from the supermarket for very cheap. I have tried cooking it many different ways. I don't like cooking a fish that has no taeste and it needs a ton of herbs and spices to make it taste like something that it is not. Whiting,Flathead ,Garfish,Gummy you don't really need to add anything out of the ordinary to make it eatable. I would rather eat a slimmy,fatty eel. Maybe if i try Basa again i'll eat it raw,and flood it with Vodka.

Aaron75
Has liked: 68 times

Post by Aaron75 » Sat May 09, 2020 7:15 am

gregmaka wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 6:08 am
Basa that you buy from the supermarket for very cheap. I have tried cooking it many different ways. I don't like cooking a fish that has no taeste and it needs a ton of herbs and spices to make it taste like something that it is not. Whiting,Flathead ,Garfish,Gummy you don't really need to add anything out of the ordinary to make it eatable. I would rather eat a slimmy,fatty eel. Maybe if i try Basa again i'll eat it raw,and flood it with Vodka.
I bought Basa from Coles once, and it had no flavour at all. As I was eating it I became curious as to where Basa comes from, what kind of fish it is, so I did some research on my phone - when I discovered it's origin I spat it out and threw the lot in the bin. I understand that protein is important to people in that part of the world but I am still surprised that reputable supermarkets in Australia are allowed to sell something like that here.

Seniorfisho
Has liked: 798 times

Post by Seniorfisho » Sat May 09, 2020 7:54 am

Australian Salmon for me, horrible fish to eat, never smoked it, they say it good smoked but if you are just after a simple fried fillet then they are just crap

Seniorfisho
Has liked: 798 times

Post by Seniorfisho » Sat May 09, 2020 7:56 am

Irishfisherman wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 12:53 am
I once tried dogfish back in Ireland, they’re sort of look like draughtboard sharks and they taste awful, sort of an ammonia taste. Also tried carp a few times and it tastes strange and the texture is soft and unpleasant, and snapper over 4-5kg aren’t very nice unless you put some effort into them. I’m interested to hear if anyone has tried sergeant baker, I’ve heard on fishing shows that they don’t taste great but I don’t see why.
I've tried Sergeant Baker and they are ok, the texture is a bit strange but the flavor is passable

Return to “Fish Recipes and Preparation”