Post by hornet » Sat Nov 02, 2019 4:03 pm

Kimtown wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 3:58 pm
hornet wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 3:29 pm
purple5ive wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:24 am
This what the OP is talking about i think

That's the one... white firm flesh and if you caught one you knew you were in whiting territory, very common in PPB back in the past when I was a young fella, another common fish was the saw shark ( below ) in a small variety up to about the 80cm mark, you would always catch a couple each trip..

What in God's name is this Harry potter hocus pocus stuff!
“I used to wonder about that myself. Thought it was a bunch of mumbo-jumbo. A magical power holding together good and evil, the dark side and the light? Crazy thing is, it’s true. The red fish, the saw shark — all of it. It’s all true.”
He who has the most fishing rods WINS ! :ts:

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Re: Redfish in refrigerator

Post by smile0784 » Sat Nov 02, 2019 4:41 pm

I have a iron stomach but still don't exceed 3 days with fish

Kimtown
Has liked: 303 times

Post by Kimtown » Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:00 pm

hornet wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 4:03 pm
Kimtown wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 3:58 pm
hornet wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 3:29 pm
purple5ive wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:24 am
This what the OP is talking about i think

That's the one... white firm flesh and if you caught one you knew you were in whiting territory, very common in PPB back in the past when I was a young fella, another common fish was the saw shark ( below ) in a small variety up to about the 80cm mark, you would always catch a couple each trip..

What in God's name is this Harry potter hocus pocus stuff!
“I used to wonder about that myself. Thought it was a bunch of mumbo-jumbo. A magical power holding together good and evil, the dark side and the light? Crazy thing is, it’s true. The red fish, the saw shark — all of it. It’s all true.”
"I am your father"

hornet
Has liked: 123 times

Post by hornet » Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:03 pm

Nooooooooooo !!!!!

re-tyred
Has liked: 372 times

Post by re-tyred » Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:37 am

Sawshark and Red Mullet are a common by catch of Danish Seiner trawlers. Saw shark are caught by the shark netters and turn up as flake in your fish and chips.
Red mullet sell for high prices in the market.
Not sure on why they would have disappeared from the bays. Both still common in Bass Strait
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

hornet

Post by hornet » Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:36 am

re-tyred wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:37 am
Sawshark and Red Mullet are a common by catch of Danish Seiner trawlers. Saw shark are caught by the shark netters and turn up as flake in your fish and chips.
Not sure on why they would have disappeared from the bays. Both still common in Bass Strait
I haven't heard of these two species caught in PPB for such a long time, if they are common in Bass Strait then what has changed in the bay to stop their influx ?

Brett
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Brett » Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:00 pm

hornet wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:36 am
re-tyred wrote:
I haven't heard of these two species caught in PPB for such a long time, if they are common in Bass Strait then what has changed in the bay to stop their influx ?
Red Mullet are caught every day, plenty of ppl just don't post them up. Saw shark are slowly becoming more common again, have seen atleast 3 posted on facebook over the last month or 2. Saw shark ar not a common line caught fish, but they are out there.

hornet

Post by hornet » Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:11 pm

Brett wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:00 pm
hornet wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:36 am
re-tyred wrote:
Red Mullet are caught every day, plenty of ppl just don't post them up. Saw shark are slowly becoming more common again, have seen atleast 3 posted on facebook over the last month or 2. Saw shark ar not a common line caught fish, but they are out there.
THX Bret... I try to keep an eye on whats caught in the private sector but obviously I've missed some captures, I gave up on face ache ages ago so I don't get my info from there.

Return to “Fish Recipes and Preparation”