WPB: Close but no Cigar

AE092
Has liked: 5 times

WPB: Close but no Cigar

Post by AE092 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:40 pm

'Decided to head out on Cup Day like numerous others from Yaringa on one of the hire boats from about 6:30am.

I usually target squid and KGW but this time devised a plan to target Snapper and maybe a gummy. The idea was to squid early on and then venture out deep to set up for the tide change around 7:45. Trying around the Quail bank area and just off the Yaringa channel produced donuts on both jigs and baited spikes despite one of the pilchards receiving the tell tail signs of a squid taking a liking to it (beak bites just behind the head at an angle).

Despite the lack of Calamari, I decided to head straight out to Hastings just off Tyabb bank and found a relatively secluded spot in 10m of water, just as the bank gradually climbs westwards onto Tyabb. In went the burley bucket on the anchor rope accompanied by a slow pilchard trail and it wasn't long before I had enquiries from Yakka's. With a couple of bigger rods out, I managed a couple of Yellowtails before one of the big rods tapered off and starting howling! I let it set for a few seconds before gradually tightening the drag but it wouldn't stop and after a few hard shakes on a tightened drag, *BING* line snapped. A slimy mack and KGW (40cm) double header made for some fun before again, the same rod with a squid ring (again) starts to sing! Great, so again I ease on the drag and after a 10 second tussle and not being able to stop the fish - *BING*. I was really frustrated but persisted so tied the last rig on.

After another couple of yakkas, a pinkie, a juvenile gummy and two small flathead on a double hook-up; that same rod went off again - this time on a fresh Yakka fillet and as it happened, no matter how much I let it run, it was unstoppable. The Penn Spinfisher was running out of line rapidly and snapped, again. To rub salt into the wounds, another boat about 2km south of me near the Esso Plant landed an 87cm red on a squid head.

I think the first fish was either a Snapper or Gummy and the 2nd two being rays. I've really underestimated the species in WPB as I've fished and have caught good size snapper when out with Dad previously. Deflated yes but also very determined.

Bugatti

Re: WPB: Close but no Cigar

Post by Bugatti » Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:12 am

I felt for you, I did. And I totally understand the "underestimated the species", always good to be on ball and you can never take them for granted as they always surprise, both pleasantly and at times devastatingly.

What doesn't break you makes you stronger , , , , to be honest, swearing helps too :-D

I'd like to say that you are a winner for just being out there, but that is no consultation. BUT you have the right attitude, only wet hooks catch fish, so hopefully the next time they get wet they bring in a trophy for you.

Cheers, Bugatti

yepi'mon
Has liked: 36 times

Post by yepi'mon » Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:18 am

Tough luck mate. What lbs line did you have on there?

When I first started fishing WP I went into CA Ringwood to get all my bait runners re spooled. The fellow put on 80lbs siglon braid and I said to him are you serious mate? This is snapper we are talking about....

Anyway, his theory was it’s super thin and WP can send just about anything your way.... so why not?

Whilst skeptical at first I can honestly say after fishing this season in WP I am grateful that he put that stuff on there. I’ve had no shortage of hits and still yet to break my main line.

Sebb
Has liked: 3001 times

Post by Sebb » Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:33 am

Would have been a good fish. At least you got in action.
Never fished WPB before, I heard it can be surprising. Guess it's true.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:47 am

yepi'mon wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:18 am

The fellow put on 80lbs siglon braid

Whilst skeptical at first I can honestly say after fishing this season in WP I am grateful that he put that stuff on there. I’ve had no shortage of hits and still yet to break my main line.
I agree Yepi

I fish line heavy. You can still "play" or "baby" a large fish in on heavier line if you wish. And have a better chance of not losing it because of light line choice.

I'd rather lose a fish because of a mistake reeling it in rather than a regret of choosing light line.

I call it "Line Insurance" :-D

Cheers, Bugatti

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:07 am

I feel you mate!
Yea it does sound like you were very close!
Hopefully it works out for you on your next outing!
Don’t give up. Keep chasing those reds :)
Cheers :tu:

AE092
Has liked: 5 times

Post by AE092 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:13 pm

yepi'mon wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:18 am
Tough luck mate. What lbs line did you have on there?

When I first started fishing WP I went into CA Ringwood to get all my bait runners re spooled. The fellow put on 80lbs siglon braid and I said to him are you serious mate? This is snapper we are talking about....

Anyway, his theory was it’s super thin and WP can send just about anything your way.... so why not?

I was using ultra thin Berkley 20lb braid and it was evident the braid gave up first.
You're not wrong in regards to overkill line, years before camera phones became popular dad brought in a 3 metre shark which sounded very similar to a 7 giller caught out from Corinella so there are big big fish out there.

Bugatti, oh yeh there was plenty of (loud) swearing!

Return to “Western Port Bay Fishing Reports”