Coronet bay and Corals/Rhyll Wed23 Oct

Kimtown
Has liked: 303 times

Re: Coronet bay and Corals/Rhyll Wed23 Oct

Post by Kimtown » Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:45 pm

Redhunter wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:07 pm
Well done! Some good eating there. Fresh squid heads are my favourite big red baits. Great to hear things are coming together for you mate.

FYI- Something to be mindful of in case you weren't aware...cleaning pinkies/snapper in the same spot you are fishing for them will put them off the bite. They're one of the few fish that won't eat their own kind.
Same with bleeding gummy apparently... i still do it anyway. Current flushes it away in no time lol

Island-boy
Has liked: 14 times

Post by Island-boy » Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:47 am

Redhunter wrote:
Well done! Some good eating there. Fresh squid heads are my favourite big red baits. Great to hear things are coming together for you mate.

FYI- Something to be mindful of in case you weren't aware...cleaning pinkies/snapper in the same spot you are fishing for them will put them off the bite. They're one of the few fish that won't eat their own kind.
Oh that could explain why they did go off the bite.

First time ive ever gutted and scaled a fish in a boat, and will be the last i made a mess, i tried to hose it all out, but scales are still around and got pretty smelly yesterday in hot sun.

BTW. I got two of them in late arvo on mark you gave me :-D :gj: Thank you.

Island-boy
Has liked: 14 times

Post by Island-boy » Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:52 am

BTW.Bit off topic, but heard back at the ramp that some guy got done by fisheries that same day for having 40+ Calamari (30+ over the limit) assume out of Newhaven way.

Hope he gets decent fines, ive heard rumours of others taking calamari over the limit recently IMHO that really sucks the limits are very fair.

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:58 pm

Keep them coming mate

Redhunter
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Redhunter » Fri Oct 25, 2019 6:44 pm

Kimtown wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:45 pm
Redhunter wrote:

Same with bleeding gummy apparently... i still do it anyway. Current flushes it away in no time lol
I have heard that before too, but I'm not convinced. I always bleed/gut them straight away, and throw all of it along with the head, overboard. I have still bagged out on many occasions, even in PPB where there's bugger all current.
With snapper though, it's a hard and fast rule that I stick by.

Redhunter
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Redhunter » Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:03 pm

Island-boy wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:47 am
Redhunter wrote:

Oh that could explain why they did go off the bite.

First time ive ever gutted and scaled a fish in a boat, and will be the last i made a mess, i tried to hose it all out, but scales are still around and got pretty smelly yesterday in hot sun.

BTW. I got two of them in late arvo on mark you gave me :-D :gj: Thank you.
Gutting them isn't a bad thing if you're putting in a decent sesh for the day, but throw it in a bucket, then tip overboard when you have pulled the pin and about to head off. Those big snapper scales go everywhere! Lol. You'll probably still be finding them in months to come.

With the bigger fish, I tend to fillet them, then skin them. By skinning them it seems to get rid of a fair bit of that stronger taste you get from snapper. Each to their own though.

I'm really glad that mark produced the goods for you man! I've caught a lot of fish there over the years. It's got some great structure to it.

ervinjason

Post by ervinjason » Wed Jun 15, 2022 6:40 am

Early was actually a bit of breeze from NE then once the fog cleared it glassed off, then SE came up in afternoon got fairly choppy, winds pretty much as predicted, when the SE came up it actually seemed to induce snapper to bite again even the tiny ones and was a few hours off the tide change.

thomas87

Post by thomas87 » Mon Nov 28, 2022 2:19 pm

ervinjason wrote:
Wed Jun 15, 2022 6:40 am
Early was actually a bit of breeze from NE then once the fog cleared it glassed off, then SE came up in afternoon got fairly choppy, winds pretty much as predicted, when the SE came up it actually seemed to induce snapper to bite again even the tiny ones and was a few hours off the tide change.
It's really great to read this. Keep sharing more updated information with us.
Last edited by thomas87 on Tue Feb 21, 2023 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kenle
Has liked: 214 times

Post by Kenle » Tue Nov 29, 2022 9:51 am

Old post, check date of post. 2019 unless you guys are bots

Return to “Western Port Bay Fishing Reports”