WP suggestions

Yota
Has liked: 114 times

WP suggestions

Post by Yota » Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:33 am

Hi all, so I have an rdo tomorrow and was looking at the wind forecast all week and was planning on a queenscliff launch tomorrow.
But the wind forecast has dramatically changed for the bay so I thought I'd try WP.
Going by the forecast WP doesn't look too bad tomorrow, am I correct ?
I've never been to WP in my boat, so I'm after some ideas where to launch and where to fish.
I'll be coming from crazyburn north of Melbourne so is Hastings the ideal launching place for a 6m fibreglass boat ?
Ideally I'll target a gummy so I guess the south side of the port is the hot spot ?
Any feedback please.
Thanks
Jamie

CarlG
Has liked: 1 time

Re: WP suggestions

Post by CarlG » Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:28 am

Yeah, Hastings is ok Jamie, just a bit of a pain folloing the channel out, as it does meander a bit.
Gummies are everywhere in the Port, just look for a bit of a drop off, and fish the top on the run in, downslope on thw runout. I've always had good luck with squid rings, and Banana prawns, but trevally seems to be the bait of choice for most people.

Yota

Post by Yota » Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:48 am

Tanks Carl, I appreciate the tips. Is there a more appropriate or easier boat ramp I should try ?

CarlG
Has liked: 1 time

Post by CarlG » Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:47 am

95% of the time we use Stony point, (mainly as the guy I deckie for lives in Crib Point), Another 10 or 15 minutes travel time for you, but very short channel, and you're out into open water. You can compare them on Google Earth.

STriplett1997
Has liked: 14 times

Post by STriplett1997 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:21 pm

I've been smashing fish top of north arm.

If your not experienced in WP, i would not recommend the southern end. However, the tides don't look too big at the moment.

Yota

Post by Yota » Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:16 pm

STriplett1997 wrote:I've been smashing fish top of north arm.

If your not experienced in WP, i would not recommend the southern end. However, the tides don't look too big at the moment.
Thanks, Is an up to date chart on the Simrad going to help with the shallow channels ?

Yota

Post by Yota » Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:17 pm

CarlG wrote:95% of the time we use Stony point, (mainly as the guy I deckie for lives in Crib Point), Another 10 or 15 minutes travel time for you, but very short channel, and you're out into open water. You can compare them on Google Earth.
Thanks again I’ll check that out tonight

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:56 pm

If you can handle your boat in tight spaces I’d hit up stony. On low tide with a busy ramp it can be quite small though.

Hastings is a lot bigger but the channel is pretty long as Carl said.

Take out 1kg of pillies or less + some pellets or chook food. Cut up half and drop into a burley pot. Head to the big jetty that’s between Hastings and stony (near the sub) Anchor near the yellow pole on either side of the jetty. You want to be there with the tide running to the jetty. Drop the burley pot down and shake it up every few mins. Use a whiting style rig or cut down sabiki and a sliver of pilchard. Drop it down. Catch yakkas and other small bait fish. Then head off to a likely gummy spot and use chunk baits on 8/0 circles. 6-12oz sinkers for the majority of places under 12m. Might need more if deep and raging tide.

For your first time I’d try a channel edge western side of middle spit. Anchor up stream of a depth change/hole. It’s pretty safe water there and you’ll be a chance of a snapper aswell. Aim to fish a whole tide. Sweet f-all happens on slack tide in Wpb. If you’re pressed for time get on the water just after the tide change. Get bait with the first bit of flow then go fish the 4 or so hours of running water. If you have more time get your bait on the last 2 hours of the tide and then use the slack water to go find a spot. Only put 1 bait out if you’re spinning in the slack water when anchored.

The main difference in Wpb is that baits spin. A chunk bait (cutlet) pinned in the top with a single hook sits in the tide nicely.

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:53 pm

I heard the top end is doing well

Yota

Post by Yota » Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:14 pm

Thanks ducky that's fantastic info. I'll give your recommendations a red hot go. Cheers

Return to “Western Port Bay Fishing Reports”