Corinella Pier Today.28/11/15

jasew3

Corinella Pier Today.28/11/15

Post by jasew3 » Sat Nov 28, 2015 7:06 pm

Gday all
Decided to venture back to the pier today with my son seeing as the weather was very good for fishing. Arrived about 12ish so I we were in plenty of time for the change off tide. Baited up my sons rod with Pipis and pilly and off he went. So I decided to go back to the car and grab my rod with the squid jig on it, good decision as my third cast I scored a med sized squid. The guy next to me scored two for the day, but I didn't get any more luck as I think the water was alittle dirty. My son landed a med size eagle ray which we threw back in, which he caught on my fresh squid too. Overall was a good day to get out even though I didn't score much. The pier wasn't over crowded considering the decent weather so was happy with that too.Sorry I don't have any pics to share as there wasn't much to show anyway.
cheers Jase :water: :fish22: :thumbsup:

Queasy

Re: Corinella Pier Today.28/11/15

Post by Queasy » Sat Nov 28, 2015 10:01 pm

No mean feat landing those eagle rays at any size. I was doing a survey on the Corinella jetty during the week, and there was one as big as I've ever seen swimming around near the end. Good luck trying to land that one!

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Sat Nov 28, 2015 10:26 pm

Eagle rays are pretty fun to fight. I wasn't far away, I fished the entrance of the Tenby Channel today hoping for a snapper.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

cheaterparts
Has liked: 4 times

Post by cheaterparts » Sun Nov 29, 2015 6:09 am

4liters wrote:Eagle rays are pretty fun to fight. I wasn't far away, I fished the entrance of the Tenby Channel today hoping for a snapper.
they become damm hard work as they get bigger

this one I guessed was around 5 foot across caught on 24 kg gear at Hovel Pile - damm hard word

I was one channel closer to Corinella from tenby around the time the wind started to build - jasew3 probably saw me paddle past the pier around 2.30 - 3 pm on my way in
earlier in the day down near Elizabeth Island I picked up 2 pinkies at 43 and 31 cm on flathead fillets but i found it fairly quite on the water
no pics but are now just fillets in the fridge
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

4liters

Post by 4liters » Sun Nov 29, 2015 6:26 am

That must've towed you around a bit, does an eagle ray powered kayak need to be registered?
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm

Queasy

Post by Queasy » Sun Nov 29, 2015 8:34 pm

cheaterparts wrote: earlier in the day down near Elizabeth Island I picked up 2 pinkies at 43 and 31 cm on flathead fillets but i found it fairly quite on the water
Flathead fillets? I've often wondered about if they are any good for bait, but don't think I've ever used them. Clearly they work, any idea how they rate or are they a last resort sort of bait?

cheaterparts
Has liked: 4 times

Post by cheaterparts » Sun Nov 29, 2015 9:23 pm

Queasy wrote:Flathead fillets? I've often wondered about if they are any good for bait, but don't think I've ever used them. Clearly they work, any idea how they rate or are they a last resort sort of bait?
well fresh flathead is the best flathead bait and I used it a couple of years back on the snapper and it caught them
I think most fresh flesh baits are good, last season I caught a lot of snapper on fresh couta but I got couta on the way out most trips

if you are fishing for flathead - the best bait is flathead

really a flathead fillet off a just size flatty is a perfect size strip bait on a 6/0 circle just pinned at one end - it doesn't spin in the tide - snapper dont pull it off the hook and don't bite it in half

like any bait it's good if thats what the fish are biting on the day
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

4liters

Post by 4liters » Mon Nov 30, 2015 4:54 am

Queasy wrote:
cheaterparts wrote: earlier in the day down near Elizabeth Island I picked up 2 pinkies at 43 and 31 cm on flathead fillets but i found it fairly quite on the water
Flathead fillets? I've often wondered about if they are any good for bait, but don't think I've ever used them. Clearly they work, any idea how they rate or are they a last resort sort of bait?
I caught a 1.5m gummy on a flatty head a month ago, I've seen a report posted here of a mulloway that had a couple of flathead in it when they opened it up. Presumably snapper would eat them too. I figure if it's in the area something probably eats it.

Queasy

Post by Queasy » Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:40 pm

Points noted, thanks chaps.

Return to “Western Port Bay Fishing Reports”