Forum rules?????

Fishing Victoria is always open to suggestions to improve the forums for you.
Post any questions, bugs, suggestions and feedback about the site here.
ChrisD
Has liked: 24 times

Re: Forum rules?????

Post by ChrisD » Thu May 09, 2013 4:08 pm

As the person who started the carp topic i was very dissappointed with the turn it took. I was happy with the way it was moderated and it was good it was closed down in the end. FC made the right choices in my view.
Debate is good, but that thread just became nasty, I started to regret ever starting it, as the results and direction it took were never my intent.
I take my hat off to the moderators, they have a tough gig, and it is good to see them doing it.

blacklab99
Has liked: 14 times

Post by blacklab99 » Thu May 09, 2013 5:25 pm

hi all,
as a person that got warned for dropping the 'idiot' label, I fully agree and accept the warning and apologise to chrsd for a good thread and topic to discuss. as I messaged the moderator and apologised, I didn't see any threat threads, maybe its best I didn't !!
but its easy to get carried away, especially on a computer !
I fully support the moderators in their jobs , even when they delete, they see posts and delete them before we do. a bit of ribbing and heated debate is fine, but lets support the moderators, even though we might not agree that our post was valid.
you can even see a response earlier where the frock was asked to be turned and for some one to grow something ? that had to be a friendly banter between friends, I don't know im relatively new here, but if it wasn't, that's how people get the keyboard warrior tag ! and the threads get out of hand, if you can see where im comin from.
there's a pretty big age difference between members as well, the old generation split of opinions etc, we just got to take everything into consideration. if someone wants to break the law, let them no the law, then move on as I should of. I was young dumb and full of once, and as stubborn as a @@@@. but everyones entitled to opinion, if we all respect that, alls good. theres a huge amount of knowledge on this forum weve all got a responsibility to keep it good !!!

cheers guys
colin

Turtle

Post by Turtle » Thu May 09, 2013 7:09 pm

ducky wrote:Question, I see heated discussion as something of a good thing. There's absolutely nothing wrong with discussing something when both parties have different opinions. Things may get a bit heated as each party tries to get their point across but unless it descends into childish name calling etc then shouldn't it be allowed to continue?

For example a few weeks back there was a thread about the deckies in Portland getting that big tuna. The op posted he thought it was wrong they caught the fish if clients were there. I posted he had his facts wrong and it happened like this.

Soon after the posts got deleted before any discussion could take place with the excuse given "I was nipping that in the bud before it gets heated"

Now I was going on to post an apology for coming on too strong and the retype my post in better wording but wasn't given a chance. I later did that by pm and the op did the same back. I didn't take any offense to the ops retort and I assume neither did he. But healthy discussion leads to a better forum. You rarely get any kind of gathering where every individual holds the same opinions. So why close down threads where it's taking place?
Agree. If a discussion is going in circles....LET IT. Other than the fact other people might want to add different points of view later down the track, it sometimes makes for a good read and quite often a good laugh.

Unless someone is way out of line personally attacking, being racist or sexist, it should be all good. It seems a bit nanny state on this forum as far as letting debates flow within reason

CarlG
Has liked: 1 time

Post by CarlG » Thu May 09, 2013 8:31 pm

Rules.
1) Be not an a***hole to your fellow anglers.
2) Let not your first post be an advert, nor a request for "where can I catch loads of fish dead easily?"
3) Be not offensive in a rascist, sexist, fishist or homophobic manner.
4) Call not the mods rude names when they are trying to maintain a semblance of order, (especially my mate FC, who can be a cranky bugger, but has a heart of gold in reality).

Rod Bender

Post by Rod Bender » Fri May 10, 2013 12:44 am

barra mick wrote:if you want the site to improve and attract better fishermen who can contribute really good knowledge then you need to let people state the opinions.understanding that any insults or racism to be banned

but ive watched sites die over the years cause of moderators that at best wouldn't have the knowledge or skill to catch a carp with a tin of worms at a carp farm and get stuck up with the power

this can be a great site if we allow the good fishermen/women to share there opinions and knowledge.

sometimes the heated debates produce some great imformation that fisherman can put to good use

cheers bm
I believe the growing number of members we have indicates that the site is improving! From this I could assume that we (admin, mods, members) are doing it right! Of course there will always be problems which we can overcome.
thanks
Jim
Proudly sponsoring Trelly's Tackleworld and Boats & More!

Return to “Suggestions and Feedback”