What makes a better angler?

Fishing Victoria is always open to suggestions to improve the forums for you.
Post any questions, bugs, suggestions and feedback about the site here.
Fish-cador
Has liked: 10 times

Re: What makes a better angler?

Post by Fish-cador » Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:45 pm

Berto, dont get me wrong. I did not say anything that I am better than others. I merely added some inputs and comments to what you already listed and you fed on it which ensued this discussion. I rest my case, tight lines I am off to hunt some bait - cala!

I dont check my tackle box believe it or not. Dont ask me why.
OF ALL THE THINGS I LOST, I MISS MY MIND THE MOST.
====
Words of wisdom:
"I will never argue with an idiot. He might drag me down to his level then beat me with experience"
====

raco09
Has liked: 3 times

Post by raco09 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:07 pm

:boat:
Last edited by raco09 on Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
To fish or not to fish...NOT TO FISH ??Yea...like that's even an option !

raco09
Has liked: 3 times

Post by raco09 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:13 pm

"Don’t return the fish that you’ll not keep to water in the same spot that you are fishing in."

So if i catch little fish from a boat, am I to throw them back in, reel my lines in, bring up an anchor which is attached to 15-20 mtrs of rope and chain, start the engine, and go else where? :shock: :shock:
To fish or not to fish...NOT TO FISH ??Yea...like that's even an option !

Fish-cador

Post by Fish-cador » Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:09 pm

psara1 wrote:"Don’t return the fish that you’ll not keep to water in the same spot that you are fishing in."

So if i catch little fish from a boat, am I to throw them back in, reel my lines in, bring up an anchor which is attached to 15-20 mtrs of rope and chain, start the engine, and go else where? :shock: :shock:
Don’t return the fish ... in the same spot that you are fishing in.

No need to pull anchor Phil. If you catch a fish on the right side of the boat, toss it back on the left side. :roflmao:
====
Words of wisdom:
"I will never argue with an idiot. He might drag me down to his level then beat me with experience"
====

Berto Pescatore

Post by Berto Pescatore » Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:11 am

While your question Psara1 sounds funny, but it is actually valid one, so many anglers don’t know these stuff.
When I had my boat, which just sold last summer, I used to keep the bream (that I catch and going to release back) alive, and release them unharmed a bit further down when I move from this spot.
Actually, this tip is not applicable on all spices, but it is still preferable if you can, most the experience anglers will agree on this … some spices like Bream will stop biting as soon as you release one back, unless you keep moving … and some other spices like Salmon if you bleed them in the water you fish they stop biting as well … try it yourself

Fish-cador

Post by Fish-cador » Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:23 am

looks like a repeat of I said many times on this forum. Bream, bass and salmon gets affected. I dont think snapper cares.
====
Words of wisdom:
====

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:18 pm

I have heard that before but I always thought it to be an old wives tale.

I have released salmon when were getting double header after double header with most fishing going back and it has had no effect.

When onto a school of bream I have put back undersize fish to catch another straight away.

Fish-cador

Post by Fish-cador » Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:31 pm

frozenpod wrote:I have heard that before but I always thought it to be an old wives tale.

I have released salmon when were getting double header after double header with most fishing going back and it has had no effect.

When onto a school of bream I have put back undersize fish to catch another straight away.
Hiya frozen. If they are thick and feeding, bream seems to hang around. If they are timid, I believe the return of caught fish in the water and the ""run for life"" of that fish can spook the rest. These buggers can be spooked by someone sneezing. :roflmao: Bream fishing requires total silence. :shutup: :shutup: :lolf:

On salmon, it is the blood that is a no-no. Releasing salmon on the same spot you caught them is OK provided they are not bleeding. They will scatter quickly if they smell the blood but they will return when the smell of blood dissipates. Also, if you were getting double headers a lot, it means they were thick in numbers. You could be on the surf or spinning LB and you were not really returning the fish on the same post you got them so even if there is blood in the water, the salmon were actually not on the bloody spot. I just throw bleeding salmon on the other side of the pier so as not to spook the rest if I am spinning on the other side.
====
Words of wisdom:
====

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:29 pm

FC we mostly fish from a boat. Double headers of salmon is very common during the cooler months.

ie we would be on top of a school and return fish to the school.

With bream I would only add I have never experienced this and only suggest they are the same family as snapper who also seem uneffected by returning a fish.

Berto Pescatore

Post by Berto Pescatore » Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:45 pm

Maybe FC has different explaination, but generally Bream is a very sensitive fish to any motion or sound as explained earlier, and usually when you drop one back in the water, it goes down very quickly in furious action, which makes big impact on the rest of the school; this action alone scare them away and they tend to go in different directions … they probably will get back to bite after a while but why to waste time when they are there under you.
Sometimes when they are very thick and on feed, which is not very often anyway, in this case they scatter for a short while and get back together sooner to feed, but generally Bream is very smart fish and need some patient to catch them.

Return to “Suggestions and Feedback”