Quick Ep Session

mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Quick Ep Session

Post by mazman » Tue Jun 01, 2021 11:17 pm

Hey guys, this one is little dated now but I figured having the extra time I'd put together a little write up of this session.

With some poor weather set to move in my plans for later in the week weren't viable anymore. With nothing to do, I quickly jumped online and checked out the weather locally to see if there were any short windows that lined up with when I wanted to be on the water and found a good one later that night. A quick message to a mate and a session was organised to duck out in a break in the rain.

After hastily throwing together some gear, we met up down at the water and had a short wait for the rain to subside. We launched into the darkness and slowly pedaled along keeping an eye on the sounder and scanning the surface for any activity as we made our way to the area we intended to fish. It was an uneventful trip with a few halfhearted casts at structure just in case there was some active fish hanging on it. Things were quiet to begin with but as we neared closer to the bite time we were targetting activity around the edges picked up and a few casts later a perch boofed my bent minnow and it wasn't long after that I was netting a nice 39cm EP. This kept going with a range of different sizes coming up to hit the bent with the best fish going 44cm.

My mate was getting some action on the soft plastic he was using but wasn't generating near the interest of the bent so he swapped over to a surface offering. The bite kept going with continual action on the bent minnows but there was a distinct drop in activity after releasing fish close to the small area they were feeding. So I started using my net as a live well and just dipping the front lip under the surface and sliding each fish I hooked over to land them.
(note: it sat lower in the water than this I just lifted it for the photo to show the fish better)

As the bite slowed down we had to start adding long pauses and twitching the bent minnow subsurface to entice hits and it didn't take long after this for the action to subside altogether. With the next front looming on the horizon we made our way to the bank to release the fish before quickly pedaling back to launch and packing up. A quick chat after the session was cut short by the sound of large rain drops hitting the water getting louder at an alarming rate and we just managed to jump into our cars in time to avoid getting wet.

Thanks for reading,

Cheers Alex
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

smokin_reels
Has liked: 308 times

Re: Quick Ep Session

Post by smokin_reels » Wed Jun 02, 2021 6:35 am

That’s awesome. Couple of handy tips in there too
There is always more to learn , fish to catch , places to see and friends to make.

Sebb
Has liked: 3001 times

Post by Sebb » Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:29 am

Big EPs !
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Wed Jun 02, 2021 1:16 pm

Some very nice Ep’s there mate.
Great session!
Cheers 👍🏻

Return to “Melbourne Fishing Reports - Port Phillip Bay and Mornington Peninsula”