Where to catch whiting landbased in ppb

e.welch
Has liked: 190 times

Where to catch whiting landbased in ppb

Post by e.welch » Tue May 26, 2020 2:54 pm

Hi everyone I’ve been fishing twice since we where aloud again both times for whiting both times at Mornington after seeing a couple reports on fishbrain and all caught nothing the most recent time I didn’t even get a bite I would really appreciate some advice as it’s been really hard for me to get a fish atm and especially a whiting The first time I caught a flattie though at Mornington on squid but that’s all really if you have any advice or spots I would greatly appreciate it I’m based in Frankston and can fish from sand riding ham to Portsea

Sebb
Has liked: 3010 times

Re: Where to catch whiting landbased in ppb

Post by Sebb » Tue May 26, 2020 3:06 pm

I think I answered this to you. I caught whiting at middle Brighton pier, left side just after the bath wooden wall thing. Also Rye pier and Portsea pier to the left top corner. I find whiting landbased is a hit and miss.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Tue May 26, 2020 3:20 pm

Caught nice whitings from both Brighton and black rock piers also just straight off the beach around there.
Some nice ones also off the rocks at mount martha as well.
Good luck 👍🏻

e.welch

Post by e.welch » Tue May 26, 2020 5:18 pm

Thanks for the advice seb about rye ive fished rye maybe ten times there for nothing i tried polis prawns and squid but still nothing

Sebb
Has liked: 3010 times

Post by Sebb » Tue May 26, 2020 8:11 pm

e.welch wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 5:18 pm
Thanks for the advice seb about rye ive fished rye maybe ten times there for nothing i tried polis prawns and squid but still nothing
Whiting fishing landbased is always a hit and miss for me. Try western port beaches if you could. Sunrise sunset.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

shazdoggg

Post by shazdoggg » Wed May 27, 2020 11:45 am

Anthony’s nose is a well known local(to you) LB spot where you can fish next to your car. Only worth fishing at night and on the high tide as it’s pretty shallow most other times. Need to get there early when they’re biting or you will struggle to get a spot.

e.welch

Post by e.welch » Thu May 28, 2020 9:36 am

shazdoggg wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 11:45 am
Anthony’s nose is a well known local(to you) LB spot where you can fish next to your car. Only worth fishing at night and on the high tide as it’s pretty shallow most other times. Need to get there early when they’re biting or you will struggle to get a spot.
How far do you have to cast? I only have one surf rod and i cant cast it very far is it good enough to use a normal rod and cast twenty metres or are they further out?

eddyt
Has liked: 25 times

Post by eddyt » Fri May 29, 2020 7:47 pm

Fish after dark or early morning. They are there at Mornington, and all the other spots everyone else has given. Don't need to cast far.

Matthew drako
Has liked: 28 times

Post by Matthew drako » Sat May 30, 2020 1:23 am

For landbased whiting it is as mentioned previously very hit and miss, need a lot of things in favour. I was fishing next to a local at st leonards pier once and he probably gave me the best tip for getting them and thats fishing deep in the night(very different to my experience on the boat, can go at any time ive found). Landbased at night for the ting not only increases catch rate but the size of fish is drastically better. If you cant get out early or at night then fish a tide change and hope I guess. Would defo recommend a beach off of western port for lb whiting though, mornington pier has been extremely busy so hard to get a good spot where the whiting may be. Also dont just cast anywhere, locate sand holes and focus on them.
Cheers, Matt

FishHunter81

Post by FishHunter81 » Sat May 30, 2020 8:21 am

Flinders pier is a good spot. Around 2nd light pole either side depending on wind direction. High tide and look for sandpatches around the weedbeds. I've had success recently and some nice sized ones even over 42cm.

Return to “Melbourne Fishing Reports - Port Phillip Bay and Mornington Peninsula”