Where to catch whiting landbased in ppb

Andrews
Has liked: 265 times

Re: Where to catch whiting landbased in ppb

Post by Andrews » Sat May 30, 2020 10:13 am

I completely agree that land based whiting can be hit or miss, like in a boat unless there is burley they really don't have a reason to hang around long.

St Leonards pier is productive after an easterly wind and favoures a murky brown water, on those northerly winds when the water is the deep green I like the west side and cast amongst the sandy holes. Run in tide seems to work best, but I've caught plenty on a mix of tides. They're around at the moment, Thursday a huge school moved in shallow and caught a few were caught between 32-35cm.

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Sat May 30, 2020 10:28 am

eddyt wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 7:47 pm
Fish after dark or early morning. They are there at Mornington, and all the other spots everyone else has given. Don't need to cast far.
I totally agree with this.
Alot of the ones I have caught just casting from the beach around the black rock area have been very close to shore 😃

shazdoggg

Post by shazdoggg » Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:54 am

e.welch wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 9:36 am
shazdoggg wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 11:45 am
Anthony’s nose is a well known local(to you) LB spot where you can fish next to your car. Only worth fishing at night and on the high tide as it’s pretty shallow most other times. Need to get there early when they’re biting or you will struggle to get a spot.
How far do you have to cast? I only have one surf rod and i cant cast it very far is it good enough to use a normal rod and cast twenty metres or are they further out?
Light surf rods are preferred to whip baits out 50-70m. When fishing Anthony’s nose, the high tide waterline can be 10m from the rock wall depending on the moon phase. Will add that I’ve had much more success on nights with little to no moon as opposed to around the full moon phase. Fresh squid strips topped with some banana prawn on a light mutu circle or kL 1/0 on a 2 hook paternoster is my preferred set up. If you’re fishing 2 rods it’s a good idea alternate 1 to running sinker.

Return to “Melbourne Fishing Reports - Port Phillip Bay and Mornington Peninsula”