How far do you cast away from your boat??

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Re: How far do you cast away from your boat??

Post by Mattblack » Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:58 am

Kestrel wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:14 pm
SteveoTheTiger wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:27 pm
General bait fishing i tend to drop no further than 10m or so from the boat if in shallow water and straight down if deeper (15m or deeper). But if im fishing with little to no weight for snapper i tend to try and cast out a bit further so that the bait will drift down through the water.

As a side note: If i am specifically targeting flathead with bait my favourite technique is to turn my rod holders so they are facing out the side of the boat, rather than out the back. And then drop the bait straight down until the sinker is just bouncing up and down on the bottom with the rocking movement of the boat. My theory is that this creates a little puff of sand each time the sinker hits the bottom and the flathead see it and automatically take the bait.

Obviously i have no real means to back this up, but i definitely seem to have a high rate of success for flathead using this method rather than casting and dragging baits behind the boat as it drifts.
... and do you find that helps concentrating your burley in the area where your bait is?
Cheers
kestrel
No idea if it's right or wrong, but lately I've given up on the burley cage and started throwing out cubes (finely cut) all round the boat at regular intervals....seems to work better at bringing in and holding the fish in my increased sized 'zone' (for PPB snapper)

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:33 pm

I've always thrown casts 20-30m away in an arc spread around the boat. With baits I've always closed the bail after taking the last few loose wraps of line off the spool and let them slowly sink back towards the boat. They generally sink to about 5m off the back of the boat in an even spread unless one gets picked up on the drift down.

SteveoTheTiger
Has liked: 182 times

Post by SteveoTheTiger » Tue Dec 24, 2019 8:08 pm

Kestrel wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:14 pm
... and do you find that helps concentrating your burley in the area where your bait is?
Cheers
kestrel
I dont really have a massive opinion on the subject.

If i am drifting i tend to just throw a spoon full of pallets over the side every 15mins or so, and the same goes for shallow water. I only drop my weighted burley pot when im in deeper water.

I pretty much do the same thing every time, so i dont really know if it is having an effect or not!

If i havent had a bite in 30 - 45mins i tend to change spots, i figure this is long enough for the burley to work.
The only thing better than serenity is a two stroke at full throttle!
Check out my Flickr Photostream

tomh5157

Post by tomh5157 » Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:49 am

I use a burley pot r/h side of the boat about 1 mt off the bottom plus chopped burley thrown in. By long around 10 mt.
The biggest problem I get is low current flow and wind on the side the boat the boat lies side on to the current, I could bridle but that gives me the shi@ts so I have extensions to my rod holders made that go all the way to the windscreen which allows me to move the spread of rods around to line up with the current flow whilst still keeping distance between them.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
US Travelers planning to visit Baku can check mandatory information required for applying Azerbijan Visa for US citizens here.

Return to “Melbourne Fishing Reports - Port Phillip Bay and Mornington Peninsula”