Kingfish Barwon Heads

Maynefisher

Kingfish Barwon Heads

Post by Maynefisher » Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:06 pm

Hey guys, over the coming summer I’m looking forward to try and tackle kingfish in the PPB rip and off out Barwon Heads. I’ve never done this fishing before so how should I fish for them kingfish and what should I look for on the sounder ? What fresh bait do I use and how do I catch it ( slimy mackerel )? Just want a good understanding so when I go out there I can give it a red hot crack! Looks like great fun

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Re: Kingfish Barwon Heads

Post by smile0784 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:23 pm

Double post

Ryguy
Has liked: 13 times

Post by Ryguy » Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:45 pm

Hey mate. Drift in 30m of water with burly or bread or both and use small hand lines and hooks or best and easiest is sabiki rigs. Slimys are not hard to find most days out of barwon heads. You can use them as live bait hooked in front of top fin my fav... small ball running sinker on main line to swiv or straight to hook and 60+ leader to hook. Twisted p noster rigs work well at different depths with fresh striped baits like squid or slimy. Of course once on them knife jigs at 100g to 300g work well. always mark on gps when you get a hit and keep drifting over that spot a couple of times. Burley and cut up chunks of slimy thrown over as much as possible will keep you busy. i like to have 2 lives out and 2 p noster rigs out at once when the madness starts leave one p noster rig up and start jigging. Youtube is your friend on different methods. these are just my goto that have worked well for me in the past out of barwon heads. You can also get monsters trolling Halco laser pros 160 0r 190 xdd and the live bait but hooked threw nose or top lip, I usually will do this from A to B over as many reefs and bommies or drops as possible 6 to 8 Knots. have accounted for my biggest catches yet on kings.
Gl

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:28 pm

Maynefisher wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:06 pm
Hey guys, over the coming summer I’m looking forward to try and tackle kingfish in the PPB rip and off out Barwon Heads. I’ve never done this fishing before so how should I fish for them kingfish and what should I look for on the sounder ? What fresh bait do I use and how do I catch it ( slimy mackerel )? Just want a good understanding so when I go out there I can give it a red hot crack! Looks like great fun
A couple of the boys went out on a charter with Matt Cini to get a good idea of what to look for and what tactics to use. They said it helped an incredible amount.

Live squid, done in drifts along and around any vertical structure seems to be the go.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:58 pm

Can’t go wrong with fresh live squid mate.
That’s how a lot of my friends do it.
Jigging for them is another option but I’ve tried that as well and a lot of work!
Cheers.

CarlG
Has liked: 1 time

Post by CarlG » Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:26 pm

DougieK wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:28 pm
Maynefisher wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:06 pm
A couple of the boys went out on a charter with Matt Cini to get a good idea of what to look for and what tactics to use. They said it helped an incredible amount.

Live squid, done in drifts along and around any vertical structure seems to be the go.
Yup, Cini is an excellent operator, and happy to impart a lot of knowledge. I'd definately recommend a charter with him if you want to learn.

flickinwithoz

Post by flickinwithoz » Thu May 05, 2022 7:39 pm

I usually target then on lures, got a video if you wanna check it out. https://youtu.be/QQebXbATaGc Cheers

Return to “Melbourne Fishing Reports - Port Phillip Bay and Mornington Peninsula”