Bait Collecting

Pilchards, Garfish, Berley, Whitebait, Fresh Squid, Tuna Oil, Chicken, etc
mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Bait Collecting

Post by mazman » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:39 pm

Hey guys
I'm looking into starting catching my own bait, this includes garfish, tommy rough, slimy mackeral, squid and any others i have missed. the only problem is for most of these i have no idea how to catch them so if someone could give me a hand that'd be awesome.
also it would be a good idea if anyone has the time and knowledge for a guide like the wooly's westernport guide to be written up on this subject as it is something that seems to be asked about often.
Cheers Alex
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

Lost Pom

Re: Bait Collecting

Post by Lost Pom » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:57 pm

The only place I've seen mackerel is at cowes pier. When they are there, they were plague like. Could barely sink a bait without catching one. Any traditional bait (squid / pilie / mackerel itself) worked. Read somewhere that they often hangaround the piers of WPB. Just need to hope they are where you are.

Salmon I would recommend any surf beach either spinning or bait fishing. Surf poppers are good for salmon too.

Squid I've never tried for but from everything you read, any weed bed will house them. Mornington round to portsea seem the most popular. Same applies to garfish and tommies. Just use a small hook under a float.

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Post by bowl » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:57 pm

Boat or land base.i know sheepwas barwon heads there has been salmon ,tommy rough,gars at swan bay pier...squid in boat off st leonards..I'm still learning bait collecting .
To many boats kayak, helicopter , catch a fish,catch a fish

mattsoccerfish

Post by mattsoccerfish » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:59 pm

Garfish, just put little pieces of bread and tuna oil into a berley bucket, berley, and use a rig with a pencil float running down to a few split shots then a small long shank hook.

Squid- Drift over weed beds and throw squid jigs around and that's all you need to know for that.
Like this Facebook page for awesome fishing reports and photos!! :)
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Matthew- ... 5801189233" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Matthew- ... 5801189233" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Basti
Has liked: 15 times

Post by Basti » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:31 pm

Mazman are you landbased or on a boat?

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Post by bowl » Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:47 am

mattsoccerfish wrote:Garfish, just put little pieces of bread and tuna oil into a berley bucket, berley, and use a rig with a pencil float running down to a few split shots then a small long shank hook.

Squid- Drift over weed beds and throw squid jigs around and that's all you need to know for that.
Yeah I know most techniques for bait collection, it's more finding reliable location of where to find the fish in ppb when I launch werribee, I have never caught a squid around but people say u can get them around werribee. Bangg
To many boats kayak, helicopter , catch a fish,catch a fish

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:57 am

Practice Maz.

"catching bait" is no different to "Catching fish". Do some research (on here, on you tube, websites books etc) there is an almost unlimited source of information available if you look for it. Some of it will be in the form of vids, some books 20 years old and some forum posts 20 seconds old.

I'm going to head down the penninsula at about lunchtime and help LadyK with some work she's doing on a National Trust property, probably try and get out at 2ish to chase some baits, either blairgowrie or flinders for squid I think. I've been to Mornington a few times recently and caught nothing so i'll try somethign else.

Honestly when the Salmon come back to Gunnamatta i'll be a very happy dude, but there is no point spinning that beach for a few hours looking for baits when nobody has seen a salmon for a month.

Will be on the beach at Merricks at 5pm at the latest for a gummy hunt :D
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 91

Longtail : 1

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:18 am

he is usually landbased
for the tommies, salmon and mackeral i just use a garfish rig. and either use pippies, prawn or pilchard on it

Return to “Bait”