live bait

Pilchards, Garfish, Berley, Whitebait, Fresh Squid, Tuna Oil, Chicken, etc
Seniorfisho
Has liked: 797 times

Re: live bait

Post by Seniorfisho » Sat Oct 22, 2022 4:09 pm

fisho999 wrote:
Fri Oct 21, 2022 9:44 am
so how would I go about presenting the burly? would I put it in a sock with some small holes in it and then let it sit near me in the water? or chuck a hand full out every 5 minutes or so?
If your fishing in any current then an onion bag with a brick in it and a rope and drop it right below where your fishing. If no current, then just throw a small handfull every 15 mins or so

Fish-cador
Has liked: 10 times

Post by Fish-cador » Tue Oct 25, 2022 10:15 am

You can use shovel or backhoe to get your live bait. The fine will be the same for using illegal methods collecting bait. Losing your backhoe will set you back big time.

PS. Check Victorian fishing rules.
OF ALL THE THINGS I LOST, I MISS MY MIND THE MOST.
====
Words of wisdom:
"I will never argue with an idiot. He might drag me down to his level then beat me with experience"
====

fisho999
Has liked: 531 times

Post by fisho999 » Tue Oct 25, 2022 10:31 am

yeah, I found that out after FH told me on angling action.

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Tue Oct 25, 2022 9:06 pm

fisho999 wrote:
Mon Oct 17, 2022 2:39 pm
thanks for the detailed response dougiek, i target flathead, salmon, basically anything that would be around piers.
Hey i'm not on here that often anymore.

Honestly, you don't need livebait for what you're doing. The only two things I'd really consider livebaiting in VIC would be a Jewie or a Kingfish.

I spent almost a decade chasing Kingfish in Victoria and landed less than a dozen of them land based in that time, neither on livebaits.

I've only ever seen a Jewie hooked in VIC once and that was on a live mullet under the Bolte.

In some of the far east estuaries, you might consider live baiting a mullet for a dusky, but in PPB and surrounds you're better off just using fresh squid, pilchards, or strips of whatever you've just caught in my opinion.

How to distribute berley is up to you. Sometimes I freeze it and put it in one of those green bait bags, sometimes it's handfuls, sometimes i just use a bunch of frames with the heads still attached and whip them into the water once in a while. There isn't really a right or wrong way to go about it. On the NSW coast, sometimes two slices of white bread mushed up in a bit of water is all it really takes to land a yakka. I've had days at Sorrento where Cam and I have dumped a literal garbage bin worth of old frames, guts, chicken pellets, fish oil etc and got nothing.
Last edited by DougieK on Mon Oct 31, 2022 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

fisho999
Has liked: 531 times

Post by fisho999 » Wed Oct 26, 2022 7:08 am

thanks, after reading all your great responses I think I am still going to have a go at catching my own bait but I might use it for fresh bait not live bait.
thanks

Return to “Bait”