Grass whiting

Pilchards, Garfish, Berley, Whitebait, Fresh Squid, Tuna Oil, Chicken, etc
scanny
Has liked: 14 times

Grass whiting

Post by scanny » Sat Nov 13, 2021 7:30 am

G’day all,

I’ve managed to find a local jigging spot that is producing an abundant supply of grass whiting. I’m not keen on them as table fish but I’m wondering whether they can be successfulLy used as fresh bait for other species.

I’ve heard of blokes using them on squid prongs - anyone tried them rigged? Also keen to know whether snapper / gummies might takes them in chunks/strips? (Would I do better sticking with oily baits like salmon and yakkas in that case?)

I’ve tried using the grassies a few times but haven’t had big success. I’m attempting to work out whether that is because they are crap bait, my fishing/rigging techniques suck, or just my usual bad luck.

Either way I’d like to know I’m dispatching them for an honorable cause instead of a fool’s errand. Ther are so many of the little buggers around and they just cant resist the old soft plastics. Right now a quick 30 min flick always produces 3 or 4 good size fish…. almost seems unfair!

I usually take fresh bait on ‘proper’ fishing sessions and purchase at the local seafood shop but that’s not always convenient during opening hours. If I’ve got an easy and reliable source of free fresh bait, I’d prefer to use it as long it will (eventually) work.

Sebb
Has liked: 3008 times

Re: Grass whiting

Post by Sebb » Sat Nov 13, 2021 8:20 am

I used them for squid, never for fish.
I don't see why they can't work as bait. Maybe fillet it and dip/marinate in tuna oil overnight.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

scanny
Has liked: 14 times

Post by scanny » Sat Nov 13, 2021 10:52 am

Thanks Sebb - didn’t occur to me that I could soak them in tuna oil but that’s a good idea. I’ll give it a shot 👍

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Sat Nov 13, 2021 1:13 pm

Just have fun with them man!! Practice your luring skills. Try different lures, techniques etc..

Return to “Bait”