Sorrrento Kingy's basic tips

Yellowtail Kingfish (Scientific name - Seriola lalandi), Kingys, Kings, Hoodlums, Bandits or "Rat Kings" are a strong, exciting gamefish that strike savagely at a wide range of lures, live baits and dead or cut fish fillets. Victorian Yellowtail Kingfish reports right here.
ben475
Has liked: 161 times

Sorrrento Kingy's basic tips

Post by ben475 » Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:47 pm

Just had a call from a mate, inviting me out on his boat Monday at sorrento to have a crack at the kings.
I've never fished for them before.

Does anyone have any basic tips? type of lures, techniques? Just something to get started with?

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Re: Sorrrento Kingy's basic tips

Post by DougieK » Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:55 am

ben475 wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:47 pm
Just had a call from a mate, inviting me out on his boat Monday at sorrento to have a crack at the kings.

Does anyone have any basic tips? type of lures, techniques? Just something to get started with?
Does your mate know what he's doing?

The RIP is an unbelievably dangerous place.

Most guys seem to be drifting live squid they catch that morning, but kings are so insane they could take anything or nothing or this one specific thing. Take a variety of everything, go heavier rather than lighter, keep an open mind and be extremely patient.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

Sinsemilla

Post by Sinsemilla » Sun Mar 08, 2020 3:58 pm

I saw a few guys last week pull a couple legal kings from inside the heads. They were lead lining with old school squid skirts.

I'd go get fresh squid in the morning and then drift with squid strips and squid heads. Make a long paternoster rig so the strip or head stays a meter off the bottom. This works for me, otherwise trolling skirts and deep divers might get them as well.

Cheers, Anth

ben475

Post by ben475 » Sun Mar 08, 2020 6:28 pm

DougieK wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:55 am
ben475 wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:47 pm

Does your mate know what he's doing?

The RIP is an unbelievably dangerous place.

Most guys seem to be drifting live squid they catch that morning, but kings are so insane they could take anything or nothing or this one specific thing. Take a variety of everything, go heavier rather than lighter, keep an open mind and be extremely patient.
He thinks he has an idea, i'm not so sure.
Thanks, for the tips!

ben475

Post by ben475 » Sun Mar 08, 2020 6:30 pm

Sinsemilla wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 3:58 pm
I saw a few guys last week pull a couple legal kings from inside the heads. They were lead lining with old school squid skirts.

I'd go get fresh squid in the morning and then drift with squid strips and squid heads. Make a long paternoster rig so the strip or head stays a meter off the bottom. This works for me, otherwise trolling skirts and deep divers might get them as well.

Cheers, Anth
thanks!

ben475

Post by ben475 » Mon Mar 09, 2020 5:11 pm

well we got out and had a crack today.
tried trolling some lures and drifting with some baits.
no kings, couple of smaller by catch that we threw back.

it was an interesting experience, few ships passed by, seemed like all the boats were just following the charter boats around and fishing the same areas. saw a lot of people jigging, looks like the fun would wear off pretty quickly if that's all you were doing.
weather was pretty good, got a bit windy around the heads and a bit choppy but I presume pretty good conditions for this area.

denis barden

Post by denis barden » Mon Mar 09, 2020 5:24 pm

Go to the Symonds channel and find a deep area,run out tide and anchor up.
Put out 4 rods with large white plastic squid on them-they will float on the top
Wait for hours for a bust up and a hit
Good Luck

skronkman
Has liked: 4 times

Post by skronkman » Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:55 pm

Ok. I’m no expert. I’ve been pretty quiet around here lately. Actually haven’t fished as much as I would have liked (although I did beat 2 PB’s in my last 2 trips). But I did spent 18 months in Sorrento a year or so back. Chased the kings in the rip. We smashed em on our first go (no idea what we were doing then) caught 6 from memory. then we decided to hone our skills. After another 5 or so attempts we never even caught one more. So I think that when they are there and biting then squid on a running sinker rig drifted though mid water (what we did, again no idea) works fine. So probably does lead lines, jigging, stickbait, trolling diving hardbodies. But if they aren’t there or not hungry then you ain’t catching.

I did read about a fella that would go out the heads to 40 meters (I think) and drift while he burlied hard and watched the sounder. The burly would bring in the bait fish under the boat and when he saw the kingfish lines on the sounder he would drop a livie. Squid. Jig. (Can’t remember). And get onto them. The report sounded very productive.

If I was chasing kings now, then I’d have a go in the rip if I’d heard they were on but if I Was flying blind then I reckon I’d try the second approach. Bring the fish to you.

If it was me. I’d stick with fresh squid to start off. If you find them then defo have a jig if you’re up to it. I think finding them is key. If you can get a livie down there then your laughing. Fresh squid would be my go to (because that’s all that worked for me the one time I was catching) but I’m sure livies would be killer. Artificials would be awesome but I’m yet to crack that nut. All the best out there man. Time on the water is the best teacher.

Return to “Yellowtail Kingfish Fishing”